6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 8:45 PM by the_wine_snob

photoshop image size for Premiere Pro CS4 project.

k9tagdotcom

Bless me folks, for I have sinned, it has been a few years since my last video project and it was done using Premiere 6.  I now have CS4 Production Premium.  In Premiere 6, when I wanted to bring images into the timeline i would create them in photoshop and save them as 720 x 540 bmp files.

My question is, in Premiere CS4, what size should I make my photoshop files?  I want the final movie to take up most of a wide screen hdtv with a minimal amount of bars at the top and bottom.  I want my images to appear clearly and the text on the images to appear clearly on screen.  I will be creating a dvd and or blu ray, whichever works, and I may eventually want to output the movie for the web as well.

So ... what new width and height and file type should I use for my photoshop files?  They all need to be the same size because sometimes I use several consecutive photoshop files to show movement on screen because I have not learned how to use after effects yet.

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: photoshop image size for Premiere Pro CS4 project.
          dradeke Adobe Employee

In general it doesn't matter, but in practice if they're full screen you should make them the size of the frame.  So, if you're doing HD 1920x1080, make them that size.  Good news is that the newer versions of Photoshop include most of the video sizes you need, so it's easy.

Premiere Pro also has vastly improved PSD handling to the point where you get a dialog box on how you want to handle them.

Finally, you can always right click on the PSD and choose 'scale to frame size' and it will grow appropriately.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: photoshop image size for Premiere Pro CS4 project.
            k9tagdotcom Level 1

Thanks for the info Dennis.  The reason that the size matters to me is that I want a clear quality picture on the hdtv screen.  And with my primitive jibjab-like moving picture technology, I need each image to be the same size so that things move around the screen exactly where I want.  I know that if I start off with a small image size it will look terrible onscreen, so your 1920 x 1080 suggestion is probably what I am looking for.

I think i used the bmp format in Premiere 6 for performance reasons, but it sounds like maybe performance using psd files has improved with cs4.

I appreciate the jump-start.

-Mark

• 3. Re: photoshop image size for Premiere Pro CS4 project.
              shooternz Level 6

No matter still image or motion picture image...think about things as "pixel for pixel"

An HD tv set / monitor or a computer screen or a cell phone screen only has "X" pixels.   None of them can make up missing pixel information.

Start high in your edit settings and encode "down for the device.  Put another way...the higher quality the original image is..the better it will be when it gets down to the end of the process.

• 4. Re: photoshop image size for Premiere Pro CS4 project.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some background on still images in an NLE and also some tips on resizing to the Project with automation in PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Video is a case where bigger is not better.

• 5. Re: photoshop image size for Premiere Pro CS4 project.
                  k9tagdotcom Level 1

Thanks for all of the tips guys.  I am going to sart with 1920 x 1080 PSD files, create a test video with a bunch of images, add a soundtrack and run it through premiere pro and encore to see if it 1) looks good on screen, 2) crashes my system, 3) still looks good on screen when from by a DVD created by  encore.  If all looks well I will beef up the video with many more images and keep going as long as the video looks good and there are no crashes.  I will only decrease the image size if crashes or other problems occur.

-Mark

• 6. Re: photoshop image size for Premiere Pro CS4 project.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Good luck with your test. Hint: get a pack of DVD RW/BD RE blanks and use those to test - no more "coasters."

Next, from my linked article, you will need to do the math to your to match your Project. Most of the numbers that I cited were for an SD Project. For an HD Project, the images will need to be bumped up to match.

Otherwise, things should work well. Should you have any OS/System issues, please post back, as I have some reference articles for that too.

Good luck,

Hunt