7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 8:55 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8 black thumbnails

L4L4U

I hope the image shows what is my problem, sry me english

1.JPG

thx in advanced

• 1. Re: PE8 black thumbnails
          nealeh Level 5
          • Check that there are no black frames at the beginning of the clips.
          • The files all look to be windows media files dated a few years ago. Do they play in Windows Media Player?
          • Do they play in PRE if you double-click them?
          • How were the WMV's originally created?
          • Please post details of your system and video source.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE8 black thumbnails
            L4L4U Level 1

all files play normally

the problem is the black frames at the beginning of the clips

i can change the thumbnail for other frames?

• 3. Re: PE8 black thumbnails
              nealeh Level 5

L4L4U wrote:

all files play normally

the problem is the black frames at the beginning of the clips

i can change the thumbnail for other frames?

In PRE7 there does not seem to be a straightforward way to change the thumbnail (there may be in PRE8). I have found a PRE7 workaround.

1. Create a new project (you won't be saving this project so just accept all the defaults).
              2. Add the clip to your project.
              3. In Edit> Project you will see your clip.
              4. Right-click the clip and choose 'open in clip monitor'.
              5. Navigate to the frame you want for the thumbnail.
              6. Click 'Set In'.
              7. Switch to the Organize task.
              8. Right-Click the thumbnail.
              9. Click Update.
              10. Voila - there is your new thumbnail (almost!). The thumbnail used will be one from near the frame you selected in step 6. I'm guessing it uses the nearest keyframe from your selection. If it is not one you want go back to step 5 and change the 'Set In' frame to fine tune the thumbnail. Keep doing this until you obtain a satisfactory thumbnail.
              11. Close the project you created in Step 1. No need to save the project.

I'm interested to know if this also works in PRE8.

WARNING: If for any reason you again click 'update' on the clip you will lose the thumbnail.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: PE8 black thumbnails
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                In PRE7 there does not seem to be a straightforward way to change the thumbnail (there may be in PRE8).

I find this in every AV viewing/cataloging programs that I have experienced. If a Clip begins with black, that is the "poster frame" that one gets. This is true for Adobe Bridge (Organizer's "big-brother"), IrfanView, ThumbsPlus, etc. It would be great if there was a setting to easily set the "poster frame" in the metadata of the file, so that all viewers would pick up on that. In Adobe Encore (the DVD/BD authoring program), one can set Poster Frames for thumbnail previews in the Menu, but that is as close as I have ever found, and obviously we're NOT talking about any form of viewing/cataloging program.

Now, ThumbsPlus 8 is almost out of beta. I have not been involved in its testing, as I have in past versions. I do know that it has advanced metadata capabilities, and hold out hope that it CAN do the "poster frame" change - only time will tell.

I do like your workaround Neale, and will remember it, should I begin using Organizer. As Adobe Bridge is a stand-alone app, though it does "bridge" between PS, PrPro, etc., I doubt that it will ever adopt this capability, but might be surprised with CS5. Thanks for the steps to get really, really close.

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE8 black thumbnails
                  digitalreply

Another way to set the poster frame in PE is to go to the Project View, right-click in an empty area, select View > Preview Area. Select the clip, the preview appears in the small monitor above the project view pane. On the left of the frame is a small button which can be used to set the poster frame.

Play the clip in the preview monitor, navigate to the frame which you would like to use as the poster frame and click the poster frame button on the left.

Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: PE8 black thumbnails
                    nealeh Level 5

digitalreply wrote:

Another way to set the poster frame in PE is to go to the Project View ... Play the clip in the preview monitor, navigate to the frame which you would like to use as the poster frame and click the poster frame button on the left.

That's a nice way to change the poster frame in the project (I'd not seen it before). But it does not change the frame in the Organizer, which is what the original poster was after.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: PE8 black thumbnails
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Digitalreply,

You say that this is in the Project Panel? I'm like Neale, in that I did not know this trick. I'm off to see if it works in PrE 4 (my version).

Thank you for this tip. Now, if my old eyes can just see that "small button," that you talk about...

Greatly appreciated.

Hunt