4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2009 7:05 AM by stoffe w

Interlaceing problem

stoffe w

I have a little problem and i don´t really know what do do so i need your help!!!

I am doing a spot wich is going to be broadcasted on tv in sweden and i recived the original footage from  usa and it seems like it is interlaced and i was trying to figure out the fieldorder.... I sent the file to a friend to get a second opinion and he said that it seemed like the footage was converted from 24P or 29.97 FPS NTCS to 25FPS Pal using interlacing and therefore som frames where interlaced and som progressive.

I don´t know what to do? Can i use this material or do i need to get something else from the client?

Is there some way to fix the file so it will work properly?

Thanks

/Christofer

• 1. Re: Interlaceing problem
          TimeRemapper Level 4

You need to drop your footage into a composition that has a framerate of 2x the natural frame rate of your footage (this can be done by drag-dropping your footage element from the project window into the new composition button at the bottom of the project window - then, go to the composition settings menu, and in the frame rate field, after the last digit, enter "*2").

Interpret your footage as interlaced (LFF), and step through the timeline one frame at a time. If there's natural forward motion, then it's LFF. If it seems to go forward, then backward through time, then you should reverse the field order (UFF). If there is a visible pulldown pattern (2 different images followed by one or more identical images), try the different pulldown schemes in the footage interpretation dialog box until you find one that matches.

Hopefully your source footage isn't comprised of multiple clips/edits with different pulldown schemes.

Once you've interpreted your footage correctly and are ready to begin working, don't forget to switch your composition's framerate back to the original framerate.

• 2. Re: Interlaceing problem
            stoffe w Level 1

Great!! Thanks alot for a great answer......

I will try this tonight. When i have found the right fieldorder and pulldown and wants to ad grapics and text do i have to render out a new file with fieldreder set to off and then import it and start in a new composition or should i work in the original composition and when i am done render that with fieldrender set to off?

What exactly is pulldown and how does it work??

When i choose UFF and alt/doubleclick and then step thru my footage i have as you say the double amount of frames2 frames and it seems like some frames stands still (are longer) is this pulldown?

Thanks alot....

/Christofer

• 3. Re: Interlaceing problem
              TimeRemapper Level 4

"...do i have to render out a new file with fieldreder set to off and then import it and start in a new composition or should i work in the original composition and when i am done render that with fieldrender set to off?"

No, you don't need to render, re-import, and work.

You could conceivably just work right in that very composition (adding text, animation, etc...).

As a matter of habit, I would nest the composition with the footage into another working composition. That's just me, though. Habit.

What exactly is pulldown and how does it work?

Pulldown is a way of converting 24fps (usually) material to 29.97fps material.

Read this section of the Adobe Help Files for After Effects for a much better description than I could give you.

When i choose UFF and alt/doubleclick and then step thru my footage i have as you say the double amount of frames2 frames and it seems like some frames stands still (are longer) is this pulldown?

If I'm understanding your question properly, then, yes, that is probably because pulldown has been introduced to 24fps material at some point.

• 4. Re: Interlaceing problem
                stoffe w Level 1

Hello!

Now i have looked at the footage as you descriped and the footage is UFF. When i aply a pulldown from the meny the fields get visable again  in the composition window but the motion is much more smoother i think, the fields doesn´t disaper in any of the pulldown modes but the interlacing seems to be smaller or bigger depending on wich i select but it is always there.

Is this right? and in that case how do i get rid of the fields when i start working on the spot?

Do you think i can ask the person who did the conversion how he did it and wich pulldown he used.. would that help do you think?

One more thing... when i dont select a pulldown and just select off a soft"halo" (or something) is visable around edges in some of the frames not in all.  And in some places the frame is black and when i set the fieldorder to off there is picture in that frame. how is that?

/Chrstofer