17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 9:24 AM by Jim_Simon

external hard drive

lisaellensegal Level 1

My new laptop has a eSata and firewire ports. My external hard drive is 7200 rpms, SATA & firewire connections.   Is it possible to use this external hard drive for my project and media?  If so, which connection is best?  Also, I was told that no matter the external drive speed, 5200 rpms will be the maximum speed due to the fact that it is external.

Please advise.

Thanks

Lisa Segal

• 1. Re: external hard drive
          Jeff Bellune Level 5

eSata is the fastest and best connection.  Your hard drive should spin

at 7200 rpm no problem with that connection.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: external hard drive
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Is it possible to use this external hard drive for my project and media?  If so, which connection is best?

Lisa,

Yes, you can edit to/from your external. The eSATA connection will be better/faster. I use FW-800 externals and for SD Projects, all is fine.

Do set your drive letter in the system's OS, so that it will always appear with the same drive letter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: external hard drive
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I was told that no matter the external drive speed, 5200 rpms will be the maximum speed due to the fact that it is external.

I have never heard of this. My guess would be that someone was referring to the throughput of an external, which WILL be limited by its connection, but that would not drop the RPM down. Do you happen to have a link to this statement? I'd like to see the full context of it.

There are several charts of throughput for different connection types on the Web. Some of these are theoretical throughput, but some are real world benchmarks. If you find charts that conflict, it is probably that the author of one used the theoretical, while the other used real world benchmarks.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: external hard drive
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Lisa,

All disks that are manufactured have the same characteristics, whether they are used internally or in an external housing. They have the same platter size, the same RPM speed, the same density, the same everything, with one exception: the interface.

There is no such thing as an external having only 5200 RPM's. Just not possible.

Keep in mind the following for interfaces:

1. USB 1: For handicapped snails

2. USB 2: For frogs, snakes and swimmers

3. FW400: For cats, dogs and wanderers

4. FW800: For leopards, antilopes and speed skaters

5. (e)SATA: For jet planes, rockets and formula 1 cars

• 5. Re: external hard drive
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

While not exactly the "chart" that I had in mind, the point is well-made and I got a big smile out of it.

Thanks, I needed that this morning!

Hunt

• 6. Re: external hard drive
                    lisaellensegal Level 1

This discussion took place at Best Buy.  My sales person asked the head sales person (video guru supposedly) and this is what I was told.  They told me that internal hard drives were best and would run at the maximum speed as indicated on the drive.  They told me that when you use an external it would max out at the 5200 rpms (regardless of whether the external drive was 7200 rpms).  It was described to me as having one high speed Acela train on one side, a school bus in the middle and another high speed Acela train on the other end.  I am assuming that in  this analogy, the Acelas represent the 7200 rpm drives (internal and external) and the school bus is the connection.  The connection slows the data transfer speed down?  So, is this true, if I use my laptop, with a 7200 rpm internal hard drive, and hook it via eSata cable to an external 7200rpm drive, will my acutual data transfer speed be reduced?  Am I asking the question correctly?  Basically, all numbers aside, I want Adobe to cooperate and run smoothly with an external drive.

Is it possible to capture HDV footage to an external drive (via my computer)?

if so, do I purchase an eSata, firewire, 7200rpm external drive?

is it better to caputure the HDV footage to the internal drive and then move it via eSata connection to the external 7200rpm drive?

Thanks everyone!

Lisa

• 7. Re: external hard drive
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Lisa,

I think that the Best Buy folk just mixed up some terms, or omitted words such as "like a 5200RPM drive."

As Harm points out, it's the connection that differs (the interface) and it will determine the throughput. With FW-800, one gets really good throughput, and with eSATA they get great throughput.

Now, for many purposes internals are better than externals, but when one gets up to eSATA they are very, very close in performance.

Also, there are major advantages to having at least 3 physical internal HDD's, regardless of whether one is editing to/from an external. Even on my laptop, I went with 3x SATA II internals, though most of my Projects reside on a FW-800 external to shuttle to/from my laptop and workstation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: external hard drive
                        lisaellensegal Level 1

Thanks so much for the reply.  I understand what you have written.  I have a desktop with three internal hard drives that works great for editing.  My budget was a bit tighter for the laptop, so I did not get one with 3 internal hard drives.  It does have 2, 320gb 7500 rpm drives.  Knowing this, would you look for an external, 7200 rpm, eSata external hard drive to house the project and all media files?

Regards,

Lisa Segal

• 9. Re: external hard drive
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The fact that you have two internal 7200 rpm drives should be adequate for your on-the-go HDV editing.  If you wanted to have a third drive possibly for moving projects to you desktop it might be very handy.  Test your system with my Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM4) if you are running CS4 and see how it compares to other systems.

• 10. Re: external hard drive
                            Jim_Simon Level 9
                            would you look for an external, 7200 rpm, eSata external hard drive to house the project and all media files?

An eSATA drive will act identical to an internal, so definitely go that route if your Laptop has that connection.  You can even get a genuine internal drive, and for $30 or so get an enclosure to put it in.

Put the project and scratch files on the second 320 GB internal.  Put media files only on the eSATA drive.

• 11. Re: external hard drive

Another way to keep your notebook highly portable is to get an internal 7200 rpm 2.5-inch drive and a seperate eSATA enclosure.  The 2.5-inch eSATA enclosures usually are powered from the USB ports.  It does take 2 USB ports to power the drive, but if portability is a high priority this is a good solution.that I use with my notebook.

• 12. Re: external hard drive
                                lisaellensegal Level 1

Thanks, I get my computer today.  I will load all my programs and give your script a go.

Regards,

Lisa

• 13. Re: external hard drive
                                  lisaellensegal Level 1

Very intereresting, years back, Adobe warned me about having files on a different drive (that it might cause the project to crash).  You don't find any problems with CS4 having your project and associated files on a different drive than the media?  I am getting my new laptop today.  I'll let you know how it goes.  By the way, do you capture to your internal drive, then move the media files to your external?  Do you keep any associated images on your external drive as well?

thanks so much!

Lisa

• 14. Re: external hard drive
                                    lisaellensegal Level 1

One more question, is there a reason for the 2.5" rather then the 3.5" internal drive (other than portability)?  Are you still transferring the data through the eSata connection, or USB?  I understood USB to be too slow.

Thanks,

Lisa

• 15. Re: external hard drive

Absolutely no USB here for drives.  The only way to go if you are acquiring new hardware is eSATA especially since your laptop is equipped with an eSATA interface. Take a look here for some ideas.  Most come with eSATA and USB interfaces.  I happen to own a Vantec NexStar 3, it is very well made and good looking

Absolutely no reason to select 2.5-inch over 3.5-inch, as a matter of fact it really is preferable to go 3.5-inch for capacity and cost reasons.  I was just giving you an option.

• 16. Re: external hard drive
                                        Jim_Simon Level 9

You don't find any problems with CS4 having your project and associated files on a different drive than the media?

It not only isn't a problem, but it can offer better performance.  It is the recommended method.

• 17. Re: external hard drive
                                          Jim_Simon Level 9
                                          do you capture to your internal drive, then move the media files to your external?

With an eSATA, that won't be encessary.  Just capture to the eSATA directly.