18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 6:24 PM by Newsgroup_User

OT: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file

Level 7
      This is a conundrum. I have pages I need to permanently redirect, preferably
      using a 301 redirect. My host (Crystal Tech) does not allow 301s via
      .htaccess. They do allow 301s via script code (PHP, ASP or ColdFusion) in
      the document's head. For example if I have a page named waltspage.htm and I
      want to redirect it to waltsNEWpage.html I would add this code in the head
      section of waltspage.htm:
      <?
      Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );
      Header( "Location: http://www.waltswebworx.com/waltsNEWpage.html" );
      ?>

Here's the problem, seemingly a Catch22, I have to leave the filename of the
      original file as waltspage.htm so it will be found. But if I leave it as is
      I don't think the PHP code will execute, will it? Don't I have to change the
      name to waltspage.PHP? And if I do that it won't be found under the actual
      URL of http://www.waltswebworx.com/waltspage.htm

I contacted Crystal Tech's usually stellar tech support. They choked
      completely with the tech at some point rambling on about using C++ in web
      pages.

What is the answer?

Thanks

--

Walt

• 1. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
          Level 7
          > What is the answer?

Get a new web host? ;o)

Will Crystal tech allow .html files to be processed by PHP? That'd be a
          site/server setting. If they do, then that's the solution. If not, I think
          you are correct, you're stuck in a catch-22.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: OT: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
            polar_bare Level 4
            You could always put a redirect into the original page.

<HTML>
            <HEAD>
            <!--Redirect to this site, content is the seconds to move to new redirects, url is the site to be directed to-->
            <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="10; URL=http://www.redirect.html">
            <TITLE>Auto turn Job Page</TITLE>
            </HEAD>
            <BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff">

<P><TABLE WIDTH="682" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="2" CELLPADDING="0">
            <TR>
            <TD WIDTH="50%">

<P><B>The page your are trying to access
            has moved.<B></P>

<P><A HREF="redirect.html">here</A>
            if you are not automatically directed to that page.</TD>
            </TR>
            </TABLE></CENTER>

</BODY>
            </HTML>
            • 3. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
              Level 7
              Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have direct
              access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29 minute tech support
              call with them and they set up .htm & .html to be parsed for PHP code.

What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites with CT
              and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep me up nights.

Thanks Darrel

--

Walt

"darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
              news:g5gb7c$gqj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> What is the answer?
              >
              > Get a new web host? ;o)
              >
              > Will Crystal tech allow .html files to be processed by PHP? That'd be a
              > site/server setting. If they do, then that's the solution. If not, I think
              > you are correct, you're stuck in a catch-22.
              >
              > -Darrel
              >

• 4. Re: OT: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                Level 7
                Yes, but you should know that type of redirect can be a death sentence with
                the search engines, exactly what i wish to avoid.

--

Walt

"polar_bare" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g5gboi$h7t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > You could always put a redirect into the original page.
                >
                > <HTML>
                > <HEAD>
                > <!--Redirect to this site, content is the seconds to move to new
                > redirects,
                > url is the site to be directed to-->
                > <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="10; URL=http://www.redirect.html">
                > <TITLE>Auto turn Job Page</TITLE>
                > </HEAD>
                > <BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff">
                >
                > <P><TABLE WIDTH="682" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="2" CELLPADDING="0">
                > <TR>
                > <TD WIDTH="50%">
                >
                > <P> The page your are trying to access
                > has moved.
                </P>
                >
                > <P><A HREF="redirect.html">here</A>
                > if you are not automatically directed to that page.</TD>
                > </TR>
                > </TABLE></CENTER>
                >
                > </BODY>
                > </HTML>
                >

• 5. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                  Level 7
                  Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                  > Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                  > direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29 minute
                  > tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html to be parsed
                  > for PHP code.
                  > What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                  > with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep me
                  > up nights.

What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so ago and
                  going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and painless. Nail
                  biting, but easy and painless. (:})

MD

• 6. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                    Level 7
                    I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients don't have
                    access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to process as PHP but I
                    had to do it via a support ticket. No big deal except that CT doesn't have
                    docs to explain it.

What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)

--

Walt

"Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                    news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                    >> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                    >> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29 minute
                    >> tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html to be parsed
                    >> for PHP code.
                    >> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                    >> with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep me
                    >> up nights.
                    >
                    > What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so ago and
                    > going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and painless. Nail
                    > biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                    >
                    > MD
                    >

• 7. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                      Level 7
                      Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of migrating 19
                      sites to another site host.

MD

Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                      > I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients don't
                      > have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to process
                      > as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big deal except
                      > that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                      >
                      > What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                      >
                      >
                      > "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                      > news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >> Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                      >>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                      >>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29 minute
                      >>> tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html to be
                      >>> parsed for PHP code.
                      >>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                      >>> with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep
                      >>> me up nights.
                      >>
                      >> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so
                      >> ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                      >> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                      >>
                      >> MD

• 8. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                        Level 7
                        Don't have to migrate all of them, you know?

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                        news:g5gchk$i6s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have direct
                        > access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29 minute tech support
                        > call with them and they set up .htm & .html to be parsed for PHP code.
                        >
                        > What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites with CT
                        > and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep me up nights.
                        >
                        > Thanks Darrel
                        >
                        > --
                        >
                        > Walt
                        >
                        >
                        > "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                        > news:g5gb7c$gqj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >>> What is the answer?
                        >>
                        >> Get a new web host? ;o)
                        >>
                        >> Will Crystal tech allow .html files to be processed by PHP? That'd be a
                        >> site/server setting. If they do, then that's the solution. If not, I
                        >> think you are correct, you're stuck in a catch-22.
                        >>
                        >> -Darrel
                        >>
                        >
                        >

• 9. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                          Level 7
                          Aha! I see that now. I guess the main thing I dread is changing all the
                          emails and then forcing my clients to change their email login detail for
                          Outlook or whatever email client they use.

--

Walt

news:g5gfk2$lag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of migrating
                          > 19 sites to another site host.
                          >
                          > MD
                          >
                          >
                          >> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients don't
                          >> have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to process
                          >> as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big deal except
                          >> that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                          >>
                          >> What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                          >>
                          >>
                          >> "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                          >> news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >>> Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                          >>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                          >>>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29 minute
                          >>>> tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html to be
                          >>>> parsed for PHP code.
                          >>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                          >>>> with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep
                          >>>> me up nights.
                          >>>
                          >>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so
                          >>> ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                          >>> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                          >>>
                          >>> MD
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                            Level 7
                            You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the same, use
                            the same login and passwords on the new site and they won't know the
                            difference. The only messy part is watching the propagation and making sure
                            no emails slip through to the old account during the brief transition.

But that's all easy for me to say....I don't plan on doing it again anytime
                            soon!

MD

Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                            > Aha! I see that now. I guess the main thing I dread is changing all
                            > the emails and then forcing my clients to change their email login
                            > detail for Outlook or whatever email client they use.
                            >
                            >
                            > news:g5gfk2$lag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >> Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of
                            >> migrating 19 sites to another site host.
                            >>
                            >> MD
                            >>
                            >>
                            >>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients don't
                            >>> have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to process
                            >>> as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big deal except
                            >>> that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                            >>>
                            >>> What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                            >>>
                            >>>
                            >>> "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                            >>> news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >>>> Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                            >>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                            >>>>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29
                            >>>>> minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html
                            >>>>> to be parsed for PHP code.
                            >>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                            >>>>> with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep
                            >>>>> me up nights.
                            >>>>
                            >>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so
                            >>>> ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                            >>>> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                            >>>>
                            >>>> MD

• 11. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                              Level 7
                              How about the POP3 & SMTP settings?

--

Walt

news:g5gh3f$ms6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the same, use
                              > the same login and passwords on the new site and they won't know the
                              > difference. The only messy part is watching the propagation and making
                              > sure no emails slip through to the old account during the brief
                              > transition.
                              >
                              > But that's all easy for me to say....I don't plan on doing it again
                              > anytime soon!
                              >
                              > MD
                              >
                              >> Aha! I see that now. I guess the main thing I dread is changing all
                              >> the emails and then forcing my clients to change their email login
                              >> detail for Outlook or whatever email client they use.
                              >>
                              >>
                              >> news:g5gfk2$lag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>> Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of
                              >>> migrating 19 sites to another site host.
                              >>>
                              >>> MD
                              >>>
                              >>>
                              >>>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients don't
                              >>>> have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to process
                              >>>> as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big deal except
                              >>>> that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                              >>>>
                              >>>> What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                              >>>>
                              >>>>
                              >>>> "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                              >>>> news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>>>> Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                              >>>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                              >>>>>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29
                              >>>>>> minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html
                              >>>>>> to be parsed for PHP code.
                              >>>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                              >>>>>> with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep
                              >>>>>> me up nights.
                              >>>>>
                              >>>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so
                              >>>>> ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                              >>>>> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                              >>>>>
                              >>>>> MD
                              >
                              >

• 12. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                                Level 7
                                That depends. If they went to "mail.theirsite.com" before, they'll still go
                                there, they'll just get sent to a different server once the change
                                propagates. So unless one server uses a different style POP or SMTP setting,
                                that won't change.

Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                                > How about the POP3 & SMTP settings?
                                >
                                >
                                > news:g5gh3f$ms6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >> You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the
                                >> same, use the same login and passwords on the new site and they
                                >> won't know the difference. The only messy part is watching the
                                >> propagation and making sure no emails slip through to the old
                                >> account during the brief transition.
                                >>
                                >> But that's all easy for me to say....I don't plan on doing it again
                                >> anytime soon!
                                >>
                                >> MD
                                >>
                                >>> Aha! I see that now. I guess the main thing I dread is changing all
                                >>> the emails and then forcing my clients to change their email login
                                >>> detail for Outlook or whatever email client they use.
                                >>>
                                >>>
                                >>> news:g5gfk2$lag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>> Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of
                                >>>> migrating 19 sites to another site host.
                                >>>>
                                >>>> MD
                                >>>>
                                >>>>
                                >>>>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients
                                >>>>> don't have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to
                                >>>>> process as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big
                                >>>>> deal except that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                                >>>>>
                                >>>>> What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                                >>>>>
                                >>>>>
                                >>>>> "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                                >>>>> news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>>>> Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                                >>>>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                                >>>>>>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29
                                >>>>>>> minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html
                                >>>>>>> to be parsed for PHP code.
                                >>>>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19
                                >>>>>>> sites with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is
                                >>>>>>> enough to keep me up nights.
                                >>>>>>
                                >>>>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or
                                >>>>>> so ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                                >>>>>> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                                >>>>>>
                                >>>>>> MD

• 13. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                                  Level 7
                                  If the host has any brains, they will always configure the mailservers as
                                  'mail.domain.com', in which case you don't have to do a damn thing.

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                  ==================
                                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                  ==================

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                                  news:g5gh90$mvv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > How about the POP3 & SMTP settings?
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Walt
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > news:g5gh3f$ms6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >> You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the same, use
                                  >> the same login and passwords on the new site and they won't know the
                                  >> difference. The only messy part is watching the propagation and making
                                  >> sure no emails slip through to the old account during the brief
                                  >> transition.
                                  >>
                                  >> But that's all easy for me to say....I don't plan on doing it again
                                  >> anytime soon!
                                  >>
                                  >> MD
                                  >>
                                  >>> Aha! I see that now. I guess the main thing I dread is changing all
                                  >>> the emails and then forcing my clients to change their email login
                                  >>> detail for Outlook or whatever email client they use.
                                  >>>
                                  >>>
                                  >>> news:g5gfk2$lag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >>>> Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of
                                  >>>> migrating 19 sites to another site host.
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>> MD
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients don't
                                  >>>>> have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to process
                                  >>>>> as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big deal except
                                  >>>>> that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                                  >>>>>
                                  >>>>> What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                                  >>>>>
                                  >>>>>
                                  >>>>> news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >>>>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                                  >>>>>>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29
                                  >>>>>>> minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html
                                  >>>>>>> to be parsed for PHP code.
                                  >>>>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                                  >>>>>>> with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep
                                  >>>>>>> me up nights.
                                  >>>>>>
                                  >>>>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so
                                  >>>>>> ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                                  >>>>>> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                                  >>>>>>
                                  >>>>>> MD
                                  >>
                                  >>
                                  >
                                  >

• 14. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                                    Level 7
                                    OHMYGOD! You're right. What was I thinking? Quick answer: I wasn't.

Hmmm... something to consider.

DUH!

--

Walt

news:g5ghgg$n79$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > That depends. If they went to "mail.theirsite.com" before, they'll still
                                    > go there, they'll just get sent to a different server once the change
                                    > propagates. So unless one server uses a different style POP or SMTP
                                    > setting, that won't change.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >> How about the POP3 & SMTP settings?
                                    >>
                                    >>
                                    >> news:g5gh3f$ms6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >>> You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the
                                    >>> same, use the same login and passwords on the new site and they
                                    >>> won't know the difference. The only messy part is watching the
                                    >>> propagation and making sure no emails slip through to the old
                                    >>> account during the brief transition.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> But that's all easy for me to say....I don't plan on doing it again
                                    >>> anytime soon!
                                    >>>
                                    >>> MD
                                    >>>
                                    >>>> Aha! I see that now. I guess the main thing I dread is changing all
                                    >>>> the emails and then forcing my clients to change their email login
                                    >>>> detail for Outlook or whatever email client they use.
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>>
                                    >>>> news:g5gfk2$lag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >>>>> Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of
                                    >>>>> migrating 19 sites to another site host.
                                    >>>>>
                                    >>>>> MD
                                    >>>>>
                                    >>>>>
                                    >>>>>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients
                                    >>>>>> don't have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to
                                    >>>>>> process as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big
                                    >>>>>> deal except that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                                    >>>>>>
                                    >>>>>> What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                                    >>>>>>
                                    >>>>>>
                                    >>>>>> "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                                    >>>>>> news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >>>>>>> Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                                    >>>>>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                                    >>>>>>>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29
                                    >>>>>>>> minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html
                                    >>>>>>>> to be parsed for PHP code.
                                    >>>>>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19
                                    >>>>>>>> sites with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is
                                    >>>>>>>> enough to keep me up nights.
                                    >>>>>>>
                                    >>>>>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or
                                    >>>>>>> so ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                                    >>>>>>> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                                    >>>>>>>
                                    >>>>>>> MD
                                    >
                                    >

• 15. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                                      Level 7
                                      (Please see my response to MadDog) :-)

--

Walt

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                      news:g5ghgv$n88$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > If the host has any brains, they will always configure the mailservers as
                                      > 'mail.domain.com', in which case you don't have to do a damn thing.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      > Adobe Community Expert
                                      > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                      > ==================
                                      > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                      > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                      > ==================
                                      >
                                      >
                                      > "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                                      > news:g5gh90$mvv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >>
                                      >> --
                                      >>
                                      >> Walt
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >>> You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the same,
                                      >>> use the same login and passwords on the new site and they won't know the
                                      >>> difference. The only messy part is watching the propagation and making
                                      >>> sure no emails slip through to the old account during the brief
                                      >>> transition.
                                      >>>
                                      >>> anytime soon!
                                      >>>
                                      >>> MD
                                      >>>
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>> MD
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>
                                      >>>>>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients don't
                                      >>>>>> have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set to process
                                      >>>>>> as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No big deal except
                                      >>>>>> that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                                      >>>>>>
                                      >>>>>>
                                      >>>>>>
                                      >>>>>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't have
                                      >>>>>>>> direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a 29
                                      >>>>>>>> minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm & .html
                                      >>>>>>>> to be parsed for PHP code.
                                      >>>>>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19 sites
                                      >>>>>>>> with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is enough to keep
                                      >>>>>>>> me up nights.
                                      >>>>>>>
                                      >>>>>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or so
                                      >>>>>>> ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy and
                                      >>>>>>> painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                                      >>>>>>>
                                      >>>>>>> MD
                                      >>>
                                      >>>
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >

• 16. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                                        Level 7
                                        hahahaha! I love those first six words.

Murray *ACE* wrote:
                                        > If the host has any brains, they will always configure the
                                        > mailservers as 'mail.domain.com', in which case you don't have to do
                                        > a damn thing.
                                        >
                                        > "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                                        > news:g5gh90$mvv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        >>
                                        >> --
                                        >>
                                        >> Walt
                                        >>
                                        >>
                                        >>> You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the
                                        >>> same, use the same login and passwords on the new site and they
                                        >>> won't know the difference. The only messy part is watching the
                                        >>> propagation and making sure no emails slip through to the old
                                        >>> account during the brief transition.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> anytime soon!
                                        >>>
                                        >>> MD
                                        >>>
                                        >>>>
                                        >>>>
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>> MD
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>
                                        >>>>>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients
                                        >>>>>> don't have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set
                                        >>>>>> to process as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No
                                        >>>>>> big deal except that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't
                                        >>>>>>>> have direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished a
                                        >>>>>>>> 29 minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm &
                                        >>>>>>>> .html to be parsed for PHP code.
                                        >>>>>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19
                                        >>>>>>>> sites with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is
                                        >>>>>>>> enough to keep me up nights.
                                        >>>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or
                                        >>>>>>> so ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy
                                        >>>>>>> and painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                                        >>>>>>>
                                        >>>>>>> MD

• 17. Re: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                                          Level 7
                                          ...and you make the switch for any given site/company late Friday night so
                                          it propagates over the weekend when email is slower so the odds of mail
                                          slipping through is minimal. I always supply them with webmail access info
                                          for the old site (using the IP number~site) and tell them to all check mail
                                          at the old site on Monday morning. Once that first batch is cleared out,
                                          it's safe to not worry about the old server.

MD

Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                                          > OHMYGOD! You're right. What was I thinking? Quick answer: I wasn't.
                                          >
                                          > Hmmm... something to consider.
                                          >
                                          > DUH!
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > news:g5ghgg$n79$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >> That depends. If they went to "mail.theirsite.com" before, they'll
                                          >> still go there, they'll just get sent to a different server once the
                                          >> change propagates. So unless one server uses a different style POP
                                          >> or SMTP setting, that won't change.
                                          >>
                                          >>
                                          >>> How about the POP3 & SMTP settings?
                                          >>>
                                          >>>
                                          >>> news:g5gh3f$ms6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >>>> You shouldn't have to do that either. If the domain name is the
                                          >>>> same, use the same login and passwords on the new site and they
                                          >>>> won't know the difference. The only messy part is watching the
                                          >>>> propagation and making sure no emails slip through to the old
                                          >>>> account during the brief transition.
                                          >>>>
                                          >>>> But that's all easy for me to say....I don't plan on doing it again
                                          >>>> anytime soon!
                                          >>>>
                                          >>>> MD
                                          >>>>
                                          >>>>> Aha! I see that now. I guess the main thing I dread is changing
                                          >>>>> all the emails and then forcing my clients to change their email
                                          >>>>> login detail for Outlook or whatever email client they use.
                                          >>>>>
                                          >>>>>
                                          >>>>> news:g5gfk2$lag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >>>>>> Understood. I was responding to your comment about the pain of
                                          >>>>>> migrating 19 sites to another site host.
                                          >>>>>>
                                          >>>>>> MD
                                          >>>>>>
                                          >>>>>>
                                          >>>>>>> I was referring to the control panel for the IIS which clients
                                          >>>>>>> don't have access to. I was able to get .htm & .html files set
                                          >>>>>>> to process as PHP but I had to do it via a support ticket. No
                                          >>>>>>> big deal except that CT doesn't have docs to explain it.
                                          >>>>>>>
                                          >>>>>>> What control panel do they use. Don't know; don't care. :-)
                                          >>>>>>>
                                          >>>>>>>
                                          >>>>>>> "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                                          >>>>>>> news:g5gdha$j8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >>>>>>>> Walt F. Schaefer wrote:
                                          >>>>>>>>> Yup! That's the answer. CT is Windows/IIS based and I don't
                                          >>>>>>>>> have direct access to the IIS Control Panel. I just finished
                                          >>>>>>>>> a 29 minute tech support call with them and they set up .htm
                                          >>>>>>>>> & .html to be parsed for PHP code.
                                          >>>>>>>>> What a pain! Yes, I have considered a new host but I have 19
                                          >>>>>>>>> sites with CT and the thought of migrating all of them is
                                          >>>>>>>>> enough to keep me up nights.
                                          >>>>>>>>
                                          >>>>>>>> What Control Panel do they use? I did a big migration a year or
                                          >>>>>>>> so ago and going from CPanel to Cpanel was pretty darned easy
                                          >>>>>>>> and painless. Nail biting, but easy and painless. (:})
                                          >>>>>>>>
                                          >>>>>>>> MD

• 18. Re: OT: Executing PHP code in a .htm(l) file
                                            Level 7
                                            .oO(polar_bare)

>You could always put a redirect into the original page.
                                            >
                                            > <HTML>
                                            > <HEAD>
                                            > <!--Redirect to this site, content is the seconds to move to new redirects,
                                            >url is the site to be directed to-->
                                            > <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="10; URL=http://www.redirect.html">
                                            > <TITLE>Auto turn Job Page</TITLE>
                                            > </HEAD>

That's not a redirect, but an abuse. Hint: It's called "refresh", not
                                            "redirect". And there are various reasons to do redirects on the HTTP
                                            level with proper status codes.

So please drop things like the above from your mind unless you really
                                            know what you're doing.

Micha