36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 6:51 PM by the_wine_snob

When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?

GEAtkins Level 1

Given all the other comments at this and other forums I know I'm surely beating a dead horse here, but when will Adobe release a working version of Premiere Elements 8?

This has gone way beyond the point of a few bugs, and yet they have apparently not even acknowledged there is a problem, let alone given even a nod to the extent of the problems many users are experiencing.

In recent days I have downloaded trials of Magix MEP15, Vegas, and Cyberlink PowerDirector.  NOT ONE OF THEM HAS CRASHED YET!.

It's not a video clip problem with Adobe, it's not a system problem with me, it's not an installation problem, it's a CODE PROBLEM WITH ADOBE plain and simple.

No, I do not want my money back - I WANT A PROGRAM THAT WORKS AS ADVERTISED.  If Adobe can't produce it, which they obviously cannot, then don't release it into production.

What I want now is for the problem to be resolved expeditiously.

No, I don't want to talk to illiterate technical support "expert" at some locale half way around the globe from me, who will then read from a script that mostly starts with telling me how to perform a mouse click, then progresses to reinstalling the product which I have done multiple times, to then reinstalling Windows which I'm sure would be the next idea.  I had to reinstall CS3 Master Collection to a clean install of XP a couple of weeks ago and of course Acrobat would not install because it would not accept my serial number.  A call to tech support revealed that I should run some nonsense called Clean Script or something, when the documentation to the script had nothing whatsoever to do with my problem.

Of course the simple solution was for Adobe to actually provide me with an Acrobat serial number that worked, which they did, but not without multiple calls to tech support, multiple open online cases, both with solutions that never even came close to working.  A flaw in their program caused my original valid CS3 serial number not to work for Acrobat.  Just give me a new one, don't make me suffer through the support hell that is Adobe.

The simple fact is that PRE8 does not work as advertised.  PLEASE FIX IT NOW, OR ISSUE A RECALL ON THE ENTIRE PRODUCT AND OFFER EVERYONE AN UPGRADE TO PREMIERE PRO.  There would be little marginal cost to do this, it's all downloadable correct?  And the development costs are already sunk.

What a disgrace PRE8 is.

Thanks for listening, rant off.

Glenn

• 1. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you'd like to make your feelings known to Adobe -- and you should -- click the Contact button at the very top of this web page.

Otherwise, you're just raising the stress level of all the people who spend hours every day on this site, trying to help people get up and running.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
            Kodebuster Level 3

You have a better chance of going on a Mars Mission then seeing Adobe recall their product, or heaven forbid, issuing a patch for PE8.

Before issuing a patch, someone would have to admit that a serious problem does in fact exist.

I have never seen a patch or update to the PE series and am not holding my breath or expecting one anytime soon.

Any way, althought this Forum has the Adobe name. it is end user supported and rumor has it that Adobe does not monitor any of the posts.

Don't shoot the messengers...

• 3. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I have never seen a patch or update to the PE series and am not holding my breath or expecting one anytime soon.

Only one that I recall was with PrE 3, adding newer OS support.

Hunt

• 4. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glenn,

One way to get Adobe's attention is to file a Feature/Bug Request. They do read these and attempt to act on them. When you file the report, be as specific, as you can. Adobe will try to duplicate the problem, as closely as they can, and then decide if the issue(s) can be fixed. That is how to get an update.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                  GEAtkins Level 1

Thanks for the responses so far.

@Steve, @Hunt and @Kodebuster

I'm not shooting the messengers or trying to raise the stress level of anybody.  The people on this forum are fantastic and all the help everyone gives and receives is great.

But don't miss the larger point I am trying to make, and that is we should all be on these forums to talk about techniques and ideas and should not have to help people get up and running and then be directed to the Feature/Bug Request and told that Adobe will "try to duplicate the problem and then decide if it can be fixed."  I realize that is their preferred method of communication, but has anyone really gotten solutions from that route other than the referenced patch in PRE3 for Vista?  That patch was not specifically aimed at fixing any problems, but rather expanding the potential sales base, no?

Nobody in good conscious can deny that there are major, fatal issues with this release.  All Adobe would have to do would be to actually use the program for 10 minutes and they would easily be able to duplicate the problem.  The problem is the program crashes repeatedly at random points while performing random functions.  The other thing they could do would be to poke their heads in here once in a blue moon and say, "hey, we know there are problems, we're working on them and we'll get you a solution as soon as we can."  I really do not think that is too much to ask.  If I treated my customers like Adobe does I would be out of business in no time.  From the consumer's point of view the problem is that there are too many of us who are lemmings and will put up with this nonsense.  I, for one, will not.

Again, no shooting the messengers from me, this forum and its people are great.  But clearly Adobe's support and communication channels are clearly lacking.  It's also interesting to me that not one of the posts so far has actually acknowledged a problem with the release either and perhaps I am the only one experiencing them, but I doubt it.

I wish that one of you guys who are closer to Adobe than me your average consumer, could/would get their attention on this matter.

Again Steve, I'm not trying to raise anbody's stress level.  However, I would argue that Adobe's stress level should be high for releasing a flawed product of such magnitude.

At some point, somebody - members of this board, customers, Adobe perhaps has to step up and call a spade a spade and quit the insistence of repeatedly reiterating precise actions and events that cause, lead up to, or result after a problem to occur.

It is none of our jobs to debug Adobe's code, is it?

I get the distinct impression that you guys are tired of hearing this (and with good reason) and I'll try to desist, but continually repeating the party line of 1) Adobe doesn't monitor these forums, 2) The only way to get help is to turn in a bug request, and 3) that Adobe will never issue a fix are not constructive either.  Conversely, I am tired of a fundamentally flawed product.  I am not, however, tired of advice from you guys because I realize that you are only trying to help me.  Do I care that I spent $100 bucks on a bad program?  Not really.  Do I lose sleep over it?  No.  I am psychologically impaired from it?  No.  Will Adobe ever 1) acknowledge a problem and 2) fix it?  No.  Will I be vocal about it and find another video editor?  Yes.  Will I be one of the first to stand up and praise Adobe if a solution if forthcoming?  Absolutely.  In fact, I would prefer to continue to use their products.  How's that for customer loyalty?

To reiterate, it's extremely hard to convey voice inflection and attitude in an internet post and none of this is directed at any of you individually, collectively or at other members of the board, but you would think that at some point someone would take ownership of this issue.  I have sent crash reports to Adobe on every occasion directly through the program and they have not communicated to me a single time, not one.  Why should I expect that any other "official" communication route would result in a different outcome?

To paraphrase someone's definition of insanity, isn't doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result the very definition of insanity?  As I'm told, the first step to recovery is to admit that you have a problem.  Adobe?  Bueller......Bueller.....Bueller?

Again, no animosity to any of you guys at all.  I know you are trying to help me and the rest of us and I appreciate your comments and help through the years.  Hopefully we can continue to be of benefit to each other.  Carry on....

Glenn

• 6. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                    Kodebuster Level 3

Whew, nice rant, I feel better just reading it.

I'm in tacit agreement with much of what's said, but I'm also one of the many that have PE (v7) running and it's reasonably stable in my environment and the file formats that I mostly use.

That being said, I do believe that PE is alot more sensitive to systems and file formats that that don't fit within specified boundries, and Adobe does NOT do the best job in stating to prospective Consumers what it takes to it's run it's software.

They typically state minimum specs, which is way off the mark on the actuals needed to do anything useful.

As far as post-purchase product support, they are run-of-the-mill in my eyes, no better or worst than most software (or hardware) vendors.

Which typically means endless time in voice mail hell, speaking to folks who many times know less that you do, and you always get the feeling that their primary function is to read scripts and get the call closed as soon as possible.

That's why Forums such as these are so popular, it's the path of least resistance, and many times it's quicker to get things fixed, rather then opening a support call..

• 7. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      we should all be on these forums to talk about techniques and ideas and should not have to help people get up and running and then be directed to the Feature/Bug Request and told that Adobe will "try to duplicate the problem and then decide if it can be fixed."

I could not agree more. Not just in the PrE forum, but also PrPro, PS and others, I feel that there is far too much discussion on installation and basic running issues. Now, these topics are there because they ARE issues, and all too often should not be. I'd much rather spend my time discussing aesthetic, or technical techniques for accomplishing a desired product. Many old-time contributors have left several fora, because they are filled with installation and general running issues, and they tire of typing how to get around installation issues and the like. I am getting there myself - too much trying to make things work and too little time to discuss how to do operations in the programs.

Hunt

• 8. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Which typically means endless time in voice mail hell, speaking to folks who many times know less that you do, and you always get the feeling that their primary function is to read scripts and get the call closed as soon as possible.

In the recent past, I am in complete agreement. When one has almost any issue, I strongly suggest going to the fora, rather than wasting time in the various loops in T/S. I am often astounded at some of the "solutions," that Adobe T/S has put forth. Most of the fora contributors know better, and know more. This is highly unfortunate and reflects poorly on Adobe. Their acknowledgement that there is an issue is a positive step. How they recify this problem will reflect heavily on them.

In the meantime, many users with issues should be very thankful that there are Adobe fora, but also understand that these users have private lives, commercial Projects and some other "fun-time" interests beyond helping other users in these fora.

Along those lines, I would urge Adobe to do everything possible to make their fora as easy to use, as is possible and to appoint an employee, or two, to monitor the most active ones, as part of their job assignments. Right now, we have one great employee contributor in PrPro (Dennis), and his mere presence is a great sign. Chris Cox, one of the developers of Photoshop, spends a good amount of time there. I do not know if they get a few extra $'s for this work, or if it's a labor of love, as it is for most of us. In several years, I can only recall one Adobe employee, who showed up here. He was here as a user, and not as either a contact to Adobe, or as a developer, to the best that I could ascertain. Still, seeing "Adobe Employee" in the profile was a bit comforting.

Now, to all of us, should an Adobe employee show up, please, please welcome them and ask technical questions, in hopes that they will know that "under the hood" stuff, that most of us will never know. The PrPro forum lost Wil Renzces, who was there because he wanted to help and was but a volunteer. It did not take too long before too many were beating him up and laying all sorts of anti-Adobe BS on him. Finally, he left is disgust, to only be seen about 1x/year and then only when something was introduced.

Still, were I a "suit" with Adobe, I would appoint a developer to monitor and comment in this forum, especially with the seemingly endless problems that PrE 8 is facing.

I do not know if the program is flawed, or if Adobe just exceeded the specifications of their install base. Still, something seems to be amiss.

Personally, I would welcome an Adobe presence here, especially with the number of issues that seem to have surfaced as of PrE 8.

Just some musings,

Hunt

• 9. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                          MouseManTSD Level 1

I'm living in the same space as the recent ranter. I used PE 3 for a couple of years, and decided I'd upgrade. I used the PE7 trial and it ran well... so bought the upgrade, and 10 days later PE 8 was released. PE 7 was operating in a funky manner, and I thought 8 would probably fix the bugs.

Well, that was a dumb idea. The program opens to the main screen, and seems to operate normally when you select "Open Project". It proceeds to open the session, and about 10 seconds after everything comes up - timeline, vid screen, file area - it simply goes away. There's no error message, but a crash report to Adobe appears. Usually the Adobe Premiere Elements tag remains in the bar at the bottom of the screen.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks to a solution to this... knowledgebase, forums, called Adobe support. During the latter, I talked to 2 people from India, and they were hard to understand, and they didn't seem to know anything about the program, but spent our time together trying to find something in my problem that they could relate to some troubleshooting document I'd already seen in the knowledgebase. Incredibly frustrating.

I use Final Cut on my Mac for headier projects, but figured I could use PE for some of the less demanding corporate or training events, which I usually just make a few edits and turn into flash-based web vids. I don't do anything fancy with the app. Had a good couple of years with PE 3, but the new programs seem to be a mess.

If anyone has any hints about where I might find an answer to my dilemma... such as possible driver or app conflicts I can try to resolve... please let me know. I appreciate the time you folks spend here to help others.

• 10. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

MouseMan,

Welcome to the forum.

It seems that you are not alone with the new version of PrE. Still, many have not had issues and have reported favorably on working with it.

As for the T/S workers, it seems that few have any real knowledge of the products and only limited scripts to read from, "uninstall/reinstall... " Adobe says that changes will be made. Time will tell.

Now, with regards to your issues, I think that you are on the right track, looking at drivers and program conflicts.

For conflicts and also resource issues, this ARTICLE might offer a bit of help.

The FAQ's sub-forum also has a lot of useful articles on optimizing your system for use with PrE. Most are not specific to PrE 8, but are good, very general instructions on getting the most from your system. Yes, there will be mention of drivers, and firmware, so I'd update there first. If you have an nVidia card, be aware that some new drivers have some advanced gaming modules, that really wreck most NLE's, including those from Adobe. There are several recent threads on what to look out for there.

As for troubleshooting problems, this ARTICLE is a good place to start. It's geared towards PrPro, but most of it can apply to PrE too.

Last, this ARTICLE might give you some tips on where to look for "clues" on what is happening, when the program shuts down.

With the possible variables in one's system, it can be a lot of work putting the pieces together.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                              nealeh Level 5

GEAtkins wrote:

In recent days I have downloaded trials of Magix MEP15, Vegas, and Cyberlink PowerDirector.  NOT ONE OF THEM HAS CRASHED YET!.

Why do you specifically want PRE8 over those others you have trialled? I'm not familiar with Vegas but MEP15 and PowerDirector are both good products and, if they run faultlessly on your system, why don't you go with one of them?

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                MouseManTSD Level 1

Not me, my friend...

I'm not GEAtkins.  I have not trialed the programs you mentioned.

If you care to know, I thought using PrE7 or 8 would be easiest, since 

my end result has to be flash video, which these programs do well.

I've uninstalled PRE8, and reinstalled PrE7, and now the program is 

working again.

Thanks for your note...

SG

• 13. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                  MouseManTSD Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for your note...

I believe I may have a lack of power on this laptop to run PrE8.

I have a nearly 3 year old HP with 1.6 ghz processor, and 2 g of ram.

It worked fine with the old PrE3, but I'm guessing not enough horses 

for the new app.

I've uninstalled PrE8, and reinstalled PrE7, and now the program is 

working again.

I thought using PrE7 or 8 would be easiest, since my end result has to 

be flash video, which these programs do well.

Since I'm getting a new iMac tomorrow, I'm going to have to scour the 

forum to find out how/if PrE runs on either Parallels or Bootcamp.  (I 

don't have the Mac v of PrE)

Take care,

Steve

• 14. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                    ScahtK Level 1

I'm afraid I have to agree with Glenn and Mouseman. PE8 should not have been released. As far as submitting reports, calling support, etc etc, that's all well and good; except that the product should have been through those steps BEFORE it was released. As a computer system and software test engineer for many years, I've seen this all too often. Marketing push, R&D and QA get pushed back (or out) and the product is released with the intent that patches will follow. After a number of releases (PE3 or 4 was the last good one IMHO), the product is so poor at release that you get rants like Glenn's (although I would hardly call a post that polite a rant:) and mine (never so nice) that identify soon-to-be former Adobe customers. And just to be clear, every day I troubleshoot software and computer system issues, and I did so (thoroughly, I might add) with PE8 as well. Let me first address the hardware issue: I'm running an IC7 on an Asus Rampage Extreme II with 6GB of Dominator RAM. I've run "stock" speeds (2.67 on the CPU and 1066 on the RAM) up to and inlcuding 3.6 on the CPU and 1800 on the RAM. All experienced crashes/freezes. I'm also running four GPUs: (2) HD4850x2 Cards cross-fired. Reducing to a single GPU running at stock speeds still experienced the same issues. OC'ing and cross-firing the four GPUs still had the same issues. My system HD is a RAID0 config of two 10k raptors, and I'm running 1 TB and a 1.5 TB  secondary HDs. So hardware/performance is not the issue. I reduced to "all default" and began with drivers. I ran with 3 different revs of the ATI drivers, and ultimately with the Windows driver (I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) with no difference. I unloaded all "extranous" apps so nothing was running with PE8, and no help. Still freezes and locks up. Anyway, in more ways than just debugging, I'm done. No more Adobe anything for me on any of my systems (I have 19). Best of luck to you all, and thanks for letting me vent and, hopefully, ease the minds of those of you that are wondering if it's "just you". (It's not:)

• 15. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      Since I'm getting a new iMac tomorrow, I'm going to have to scour the forum to find out how/if PrE runs on either Parallels or Bootcamp.  (I don't have the Mac v of PrE)

MouseMan,

This is no Mac version of PrE, only PrPro.

Now, Steve Grisetti has both PC's and Mac's, and can comment on running PrE via an emulator. He's posted some comments, but I cannot recall exactly what they were - good, or bad. I'd suggest breaking this out and doing a separate post, so he'll see it, and can comment. As he walks on "both sides of the street," and has used PrE in so many forms, I'd go with his info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                        Felix G Level 1

After having far too many hrs spoiled experimenting, consulting this forum, uninstalling, installing, etc. etc. I've had enough.

I can understand that a complicated program may need some tweaking of the environment occasionally, and that you ought to maintain your system properly, but this is ridiculous.

PrEl 8.0 just keeps crashing, more often without than with warning, will not start, will not restart (?!), you name it.

And the quality of the playback in the Monitor screen is awful. (Have not seen this problem reported yet)

This has nothing to do with my system not being updated, or the proper drivers missing, inproper codecs or whatever.

How can I be so sure?

Well, I uninstalled 8.0, reinstalled 7.0, and everything was fine again.

I returned the product to Adobe. And will see to it that they will return my money.

I guess that's the best way to tell the company there's something the matter with PrEl 8.0, to put it mildly.

Sorry for this ranting. This is a great forum and I really appreciate how y'all try to offer help and assistance.

Felix

• 17. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Felix,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

While I am anything BUT an activist, maybe returns will catch the attention of Adobe. I've been a loyal user of their programs for decades, and have even been typified as an "Adobe apologist" by some. Still, it seems that PrE 8 might be flawed, or at least incompatible with many mainstream configurations.

Hunt

• 18. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                            nealeh Level 5

MouseManTSD wrote:

Not me, my friend...

I'm not GEAtkins.  I have not trialed the programs you mentioned.

If you care to know, I thought using PrE7 or 8 would be easiest, since 

my end result has to be flash video, which these programs do well.

I was replying to GEAtkins, but (s)he seems to have dropped out from this discussion.

Good to understand your reasons for preferring. Thanks for sharing. Also good to know that PRE7 is working well for you.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                              GEAtkins Level 1

No, I'm still here and in the midst of deciding which product to replace PRE8 with and hoping for a fix from Adobe.

I do really like their stuff when it works.

Glenn

• 20. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glenn,

It does seem that PrE 8 would be a good candidate for an update. This is something that Adobe has not done that often with PrE, but maybe this time one needs to be issued. IIRC, PrE 3 was the last version to get an update and that was primarily for Vista support. PrE 4 and PrE 7 did not get any. Along those lines, I recall few major complaints with PrE 4, and only a handful (usually fixed by system upgrades or reconfigurations) of problems. Then, PrE 8 hit, and we all know what's been said about it so far. I just hope that Adobe is reading this forum and gathering info for the development team.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                  Bert Na Level 1

Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see quick updates or revisions after the recent layoffs at Adobe.

• 22. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                    nealeh Level 5

GEAtkins wrote:

No, I'm still here and in the midst of deciding which product to replace PRE8 with

If you live in the UK you can get Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 Silver as a magazine cover CD (PC Advisor). It's a cut down version of Ediit Pro Classic / Edit Pro 15 Plus but, if it has the features you're after, is a no cost solution to tide you over.

Even if you are not in the UK that version is available as a free download from several sites - just google it. Might keep you going while waiting to see if Adobe do issue a fix.

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale

• 23. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?

Those layoffs seem to be related to a recent merger with another software company, Bert.

Their software development teams are still relatively intact.

• 24. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                        Missteach Level 1

Adobe doesn't read this forum!!!!!  Yeah - right !!!   In the same way as my wife says she doesn't read my emails !!!!!!

Of course they do.

• 25. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                          Adobe doesn't read this forum

P G,

Here is hoping that they do - especially the engineers and some of the project managers.

Hunt

• 26. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                            gtacyclist Level 1

How I wish I have read these posts (PRE8 Problems) before getting my copy of PRE8. I have had nothing but headaches so far... crashes, bogged down computer (due to Auto Anayser starting up at boot and eating up CPU resources), choppy video output, etc. No it is not my computer which is a 2 year old 2.4 Ghz Quad Core 6600, with 4 Gigs of RAM, 2 x 7200 rpm Western Digital Black HDD, an nVidia 260 GTX video card running Vista Ultimate SP2.

I am slowly (these past 2 days) able to "work around" some of these issues but I agree with the OP and others. PRE8 should not have been released to production at its current state... it is more like a beta version right now. I hope someone higher up at Adobe realizes this and gets the dev team to work on/release a patch ASAP.

• 27. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                              jammin109 Level 1

Right on gtacyclist!

And that’s precisely the reason that the Adobe Forums should continue to discuss this topic – to prevent new users and upgraders from experiencing the frustration and problems of the new version.  Hopefully, with enough discussion, we’ll be able to determine which configurations are most likely to experience problems, and which are likely to be trouble free.

For example, substandard hardware running Windows XP with a huge registry (from years of installing and removing dirty software) might be most trouble prone, while brand new (virgin), heavy duty quad core systems running 64 bit Windows 7 are least affected.

I think a little bit of venting is ok, as it helps communicate the emotion and passion of the problem,  But we should try to include some hard information that helps us identify and work around the problems.

• 28. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                GEAtkins Level 1

I would like to reiterate my larger point again, and that is "we" should not have to work around these problems, but rather "Adobe" should.

I for one am not their beta lab  nor their debug group.  If I had wanted to do that I would have written the program myself, but of course I cannot write code that complex, nor should I be expected to troubleshoot and debug it.  But I can write code that is more stable on some pretty complex stuff.

Cheers

Glenn

• 29. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                  jammin109 Level 1

I agree with you GEAtkins.

Having also worked in software, I’m absolutely stunned that Adobe could release such a flawed product.  I’m also stunned that there’s no fix available.  I’ve heard of software companies knowingly releasing a dirty product; in order to meet deadlines, participate in marketing blitzes, etc.  But then they always have a fix (or at least a comprehensive problem description) ready of the first day of general availability.  Since the PRE8 problems would have been noticed with only minimal QA testing, I have to believe that they proceeded with the launch with that intent.  But perhaps the fixes are much more significant, the code is too convoluted to repair, the key developers left the company, etc.  Regardless, Adobe should acknowledge the problem and lay out a time line for resolution.

• 30. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                    gtacyclist Level 1

Yet more proof that I am beta testing for Adobe:
                                                                    http://imgur.com/r2cj6.jpg

For crissakes, I am a developer not a QA guy... The crash above was nasty as I have not saved the edits I have been doing for almost an hour. I guess this is another lesson learned... save your work often... every 5 minutes if possible.

• 31. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                      For crissakes, I am a developer not a QA guy... The crash above was nasty as I have not saved the edits I have been doing for almost an hour. I guess this is another lesson learned... save your work often... every 5 minutes if possible.

Possibly a bit of help. Unless you disabled AutoSave, it should do a Save about every 5 mins. of editing. Now, for it to kick in, one must do an initial Save at some point in the session.

To see if you DO have the AutoSave files, navigate to the Project folder and look for a sub-folder with "AutoSave" in its name. There should be ~ 5 files (the default) in there with "001" thru "005" in the file name. If so, set View of that folder to Details, and look at the Date/Time of these five, or so, files. Load the last one created. [Note: if the default has been maintained, there will be five files. These get overwritten with each AutoSave, so 003 may be newer than 005. It all depends on where the AutoSave was in the cycle of AutoSave files - FIFO.]

Along with AutoSave, I always hit Ctrl+S, out of habit, as I edit, and will do Save_As incrementally when a big edit is done. This goes back to my old Pinnacle and Avid days, when crashes happened like clockwork. In PrPro and PrE 4, I have had less reason to do so, but old habits die hard.

Good luck, and I hope that you do have a recent AutoSave handy. Take a look at it, as you might not have lost as much work, as you think.

Hunt

• 32. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                        gtacyclist Level 1

Thanks for the tips Hunt. I did check the settings and made sure I had autosave on. I just had another crash to desktop a while ago while chopping an audio track... this time I lost almost nothing as I had been saving every few minutes. The only problem is when I reopen the crashed project, the whole rendering, conforming thing starts all over again. I now know how to press the enter button to force rendering in the foreground which is faster but is there a way to make the confroming process execute faster in the foreground?

• 33. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, Conforming is dependent on three things:

One's system's speed

The Duration of the Assets

The number of the Assets

There is not really any way to speed that part up, but I am also surprised that PrE has lost the existing .CFA and .PEK files. I wonder if that indicates some other issue at work?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                            MVF45

I purchased this product in 2011.  My computer crashes everytime I use it.  Can you suggest somrthing comparable that does work.  I totally agree with EVERY thing you said.

• 35. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?

Do you really want to tag onto a dead 2 year old thread, MVF?

Also, have you tried the free trial of version 10? It addresses all of the issues in version 8 -- plus adds improved performance and a number of new features.

• 36. Re: When Will Adobe Release A Working Version of Premiere Elements 8?
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

To get one's computer setup for video editing, and also to get the best out of PrE, you might want to look over this ARTICLE and all of the links provided.

As far as other NLE programs, most work just fine, but without knowing the full specs. of you computer, and also the state of tune of your OS, I cannot say that any will work any differently. With the exception of extreme gaming and 3D animation (tax different sub-systems, and differently), video-editing is about the most demanding task that you can ask a computer to do.

Good luck,

Hunt