11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2009 8:41 AM by Mr. Kareemer

How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....

Mr. Kareemer

I kept having a encoding problem where PE7 would crash everytime PE7 was encoding to an MPEG file. So, I ran it again after uninstalling the NVidia 3D Stereo... drivers (leaving the regular NVidia drivers alone) and it encoded without the crash. So, now I want to burn the successfully encoded MPEG file to a DVD. Can I just burn directly to a DVD or do I have to encode that MPEG file again?

• 1. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
          Kodebuster Level 3

Assuming your target output would be to play on a stand alone DVD Player (and your TV), then I would Burn-to-Folder for testing and a good running copy.

You can then use a Burn program like Nero, Roxio, Cyberlink, or Imageburn to make hard copies to a DVD disc.

This also would allow you to encode the final product just once, rather than having PE encode and Burn individual copies, one at a time...

• 2. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
            Mr. Kareemer Level 1

Oh, so I have to use another app to do the burn to DVD?

Two strikes against PE7/8...  =(

• 3. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
              Kodebuster Level 3

You don't have to use an outside program, PE will encode and Burn a DVD Disc just fine.

But, for every Disc Burned, PE needs to go thru the encode process to transform the timeline into a DVD-compliant format.

If you Burn-to-Folder, then you can use an outside app to Burn one, or multiple copies without having PE go thru the encode process repeatedly.

Many folks use this workflow, as it is a good test method, prior to Burning (or wasting) a disk.

Imageburn is quite popular and free, and can be found here:

http://www.imgburn.com/

• 4. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
                Mr. Kareemer Level 1

So the outside app such as Imageburn can be used to burn the already encoded MPEG to a DVD, thus creating a playable DVD?

• 5. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
                  Kodebuster Level 3

Yes, Imageburn can burn to DVD an Mpeg file that was encoded and output by PE.

Just for clarification, the final file format on output from PE, will depend on the SHARE parameters selected on Output.

If you Share and select Burn-to-Disk or Burn-to-Folder, the output files will be in a VOB format, DVD-Compliant, and ready to play in a standalone DVD Player.

If you Share/PC as your Output, PE will encode to an Mpeg file, targeted for playing on a PC.

If your Output is Mpeg, just be aware that many of the newer DVD Players will support this, but many of the older DVD Players may NOT support Mpeg files...

• 6. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
                    Mr. Kareemer Level 1

When I used PE7, I selected Burn to Folder and chose the preconfigred 'MPEG' setting. I didn't make any other setting changes (that I'm aware of).So, I'm not sure what type of MPEG resulted from this setting.

• 7. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
                      Kodebuster Level 3

Mr. K, I'm not in front of my system right now, but output to a DVD format (VOB) is relatively easy.

Select SHARE.

Select Disc.

Select drop down to Burn-to-Folder.

Pick a target directory on your PC.

And then Burn.

This should get you there...

(Upon completion, goto the target directory and view the files, they should be VOB's. You can now play these VOB's on your PC, if you like what you see, then use Imageburn to burn to a DVD Disk for TV viewing)...

• 8. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        When I used PE7, I selected Burn to Folder and chose the preconfigred 'MPEG' setting. I didn't make any other setting changes (that I'm aware of).So, I'm not sure what type of MPEG resulted from this setting.

That given, you should have a VIDEO_TS folder with the appropriate .VOB files. These are containers, that house the Menus and navigation, plus the Transcoded MPEG-2 files. That VIDEO_TS folder can then be burned to a DVD-Video. I like ImgBurn, for many reasons, and one is that it allows me to set the burn speed lower than PrE can do, as it averages the speed of the media and the burner. ImgBurn will allow you to choose slower burn speeds. I also STRONGLY recommend either Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank media. I STRONGLY recommend agains Memorex, Ritek or TDK.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on .VOB files. It is directed at the Importation of these for additional editing, but will also give you some of that background, just for informative purposes, even if you do not need to try and edit the inclosed MPEG-2 files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
                          snowmemorry

A lot of people searched dvd video converter on the internet . DVD Video Converter can solve some problem, the main function is to convert DVD to MP4, AVI, MPEG, WMV, 3GP, MP3, WMA etc.
                          A dvd converter for video fans is not enough. So, a dvd suite is the best choice. I found 4Videosoft DVD Converter Suite.
                          It is the combination of DVD Ripper Platinum and Video Converter Platinum software. It can convert DVD to MP4, convert DVD movie to MPEG, MOV, 3GP, MP3 etc with super fastest DVD conversion speed. Also, It is easy to convert videos between MPG, MPEG, MPEG2, VOB, MP4, M4V, RM, RMVB, WMV, etc and extract audio from these video.

dvd converter suite = DVD Rip + Total Video Converter

Key Functions
                          1.Convert DVD movie to video/audio
                          Powerful DVD Converter to convert DVD movie to MP4, AVI, MPEG, WMV, 3GP, MP3, WMA etc by DVD Ripper Platinum. 

2.Convert video files to any other format you want
                          Versatile video file converter to convert videos between MPG, MPEG, MPEG2, VOB, MP4, M4V, RM, RMVB, WMV, etc and extract audio from these video by Video Converter Platinum.

3.Merge, trim, crop – multifunctional editing functions
                          Merge several files into one for your successive enjoyment, get any time length segments from your DVD movie or video files, crop the DVD movie or video files play region and adjust the output aspect ratio with the help of 4Videosoft DVD Converter Suite.
                          4.Customize output video files.
                          Adjust the DVD movie Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, and Volume. Set the video Encoder, Resolution, Frame Rate and Video Bitrate by using the DVD Converter Suite.

At the same time,share some practical tools for mac users:
                          iPhone Ringtone Maker for Mac

iPod to Mac Transfer

iPod Manager for Mac

• 10. Re: How do I burn to DVD w/out encoding again....
                            nealeh Level 5

Kodebuster wrote:

(Upon completion, goto the target directory and view the files, they should be VOB's. You can now play these VOB's on your PC, if you like what you see, then use Imageburn to burn to a DVD Disk for TV viewing)...

There are many programs free and paid for to burn DVD's e.g. the DVD VideoSoft 'Free Studio'. ImageBurn is an updated version of DVD Decrypter (the latter could break DVD protection systems, the former does not have that feature). ImageBurn and Nero are very sensitive to Dual Layer disk media and produce a lot of 'coasters. In these cases I find the burn features of DVD Decrypter less sensitive.

Here is a link to my favourite free software web site: Nonags - lots of Video Tools and disk CD/R Tools sections.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children