11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 3:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Preview Playback Not Working

CBT Creator Cupuro

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 8, but I had the same problem with version 7.

I can get video, still image, and audio assets into the project.  I can also move these assets into the timeline.  I can even add a transition between clips.

I can move the time back and forth and see how the transition would look, but I can not play a preview of the movie.

I have tried to have just audio, just still images, just titles, but still have not been able to preview video in the project.

I have 3GB of ram and plenty of HD space.  I believe the processor is 2.2 GHz.

Is there any sort of test that Premiere can run to inform me of problems with my setup, or something that would show me?

Has anyone else had this problem?

• 1. Re: Preview Playback Not Working
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Are you talking about hitting the play button in the Edit Mode Monitor to play back the Timeline?

or

Are you talking about double clicking the video on the Timeline to bring up the Preview Window and then hitting the play button there to play back the preview in that Preview Window?

Have you checked the playback settings (right click Edit Mode Monitor, select Playback Settings)

ATR

• 2. Re: Preview Playback Not Working
            CBT Creator Cupuro Level 1

I am talking about hitting the play button in Edit Mode to play back the Timeline.  I usually just press the space bar.

I have played around with the playback settings that you can get to with a right mouse click in the playback window.  No combination seemed to work.

I think I have enough memory and hd space.  I also think my processor is powerful enough, but I am wondering if I need a specific video card.  Potentially one that supports OpenGL 2.0 or higher (I saw this on another Adobe Forum, but it was in reference to Adobe Premiere Pro CS4).

Is there a specific video card requirement for Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0?

• 3. Re: Preview Playback Not Working
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us about your Video Assets and also your Project Preset. There could be something there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Preview Playback Not Working
                A.T. Romano Level 7

CBT

Please check out the following AdobeTech Note "Troubleshoot digital video playback (Adobe Premiere Elements 8)".

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51526.html

ATR

• 5. Re: Preview Playback Not Working

Ok,

Still having problems.  I just wonder if there is some setting I am missing.

I went to this page...

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51526.html

and worked thru the steps.

1.Make sure that the system meets the minimum requirements for Adobe Premiere Elements 8.

My system meets the requirements.  I even downloaded a special tool to make sure my processor has SSE2 capability.

I have a 3 Ghz, 3 GB of RAm machine with 10 gig left for scratch space.

I thought my video card might be underpowered, so I bought a new one.  The system came with integrated video.  I just bought a 256 MB card.  I tried the card with one monitor at first and now am running two displays at 1024 by 768.

2. Render all effects, transitions, and titles in the Timeline. I do this. I notice that when a put in new still images, the bar above them appears red at first and then will turn green.  If it is not turning green, I hit return and then see it turn green.

It is interesting that I can scroll thru the timeline and see my pictures and videos and titles.  I can also create a avi file and see everything just fine.

3. Switch the GPU playback option. - Tried this both ways.  No difference.
                  4. Disable video overlay in Adobe Premiere Elements. - I don't have an external monitor to view projects, so I do not think this applies.  However, I tried it both ways without success.
                  5. Disconnect all peripheral devices except the digital video device.  Did this, no difference.
                  6. Optimize the project settings. - Well, I didn't check this out, but I have the problem even if I just put in a short title and 5 pictures. 
                  7. Test digital video playback in a third-party digital video utility. Did not do this.  I have the problem without any video in it.
                  8. Update the video card driver. I installed this fresh from the manufacturer.
                  9. Check for device driver problems.  Did not notice any.
                  10. Disable non-essential startup items and services. I did this.  I have done this before, but I rechecked this.
                  11. Test playback on an external device.  Can't do this on the machine where I am testing.
                  12. Test the hard disk performance.  I will check this out soon.  But I thought that this would work if I had done the rendering.
                  13. Optimize hard disks. - I have done this.
                  14. Create an AVI file of the Adobe Premiere Elements project before exporting it to a device. I have created an AVI and it works fine. 

Thanks

• 6. Re: Preview Playback Not Working

btw, the project is 720 by 480 (I think, it was one of the defaults) with 48,000 sound.

• 7. Re: Preview Playback Not Working
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I have a 3 Ghz, 3 GB of RAm machine with 10 gig left for scratch space.

Is that "10GB" defragmented free space a typo? That is about 1/3 of what is required for even basic editing. Personally, I would bump the min. rec. up to ~ 60 GB of defragmented free space.

For major NLE work, I have ~ 4 TB of defragmented free space on my workstation, and ~ 500GB on my laptop, unless I am using an external FW-800 HDD, and then have ~ 1.5 GB available for each Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Preview Playback Not Working

The official requirements say 4.5 Gig of free space.

I was thinking of hooking up a fast USB 2.0 powered external drive to get some more space.  Then I would have a great deal of external space.

• 9. Re: Preview Playback Not Working
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That 4.5 gig of space is pretty much for istallation only.

I agree with Hunt. This program lays down a pretty big footprint and uses a lot of temp space. I sure wouldn't recommend running it on a system with less than 30 gigs of free, defragmented space.

• 10. Re: Preview Playback Not Working

What seems strange to me is that the playback doesn't work at all.  Even if the video has been rendered, I get nothing.

I have even tried to put in 4 pictures with no audio or video and I still get no preview.  Even with a brand new project.  I might expect playback to be very slop or choppy, but I get nothing.

I have another machine where I run Premiere CS4.  It has 8 gig of ram on Vista 64.  Video playback runs well there, but if i don't shut down other programs, it can be choppy.  I expected Premiere Elements on the slower machine to potentially have slow, choppy playback, but I am surprised I have none at all.

• 11. Re: Preview Playback Not Working
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I was thinking of hooking up a fast USB 2.0 powered external drive to get some more space.  Then I would have a great deal of external space.

I would recommend a USB external for archival storage to free up internal HDD space. Years ago, I tried these for editing to/from, and found them to be unsatisfactory. First, they are prone to delayed write errors, especially with rapid transfer of large files, and next they are horribly slow.

If I had to go with a connection for an external, I would start with FW-400, but found those to be too slow as to be useful.

FW-800 is very good for SD material, and if I was editing HD, eSATA would be my minimum.

Good luck,

Hunt