8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 8:31 AM by the_wine_snob

How can I determine which codec to use?

jimevans_2000

I'm using PE7 on a PC. I have HD video shot with a Canon. Each video - there are six of them - is less than five minutes. After I finished editing, I uploaded them to youtube and emailed a link to my client, but my client complained that they were out of focus. I explained that it was the compression that youtube uses, and that I'd render them to disk for him to look at.

Trouble is, I can't figure out which codec to use. All I know is that I want clear, sharp video, suitable for posting on the net. These are scientific videos, showing some chemical processes involving gasoline with ethanol and water.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA

• 1. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First ensure that you're using the right project settings. Is that Canon an HDV tape-based camcorder, an AVCHD camcorder or a still camera that shoots video? Each video type has different needs and project setting requirements.

Once you've done that, here are some suggestions for getting the best quality from your YouTube posting -- from the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390608?tstart=0

• 2. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the best delivery and playback of HD material, BD (Blu-ray Disc) is as good as it gets. One has the two options of MPEG-2 HD, or H.264 for BD. However, this is a physical disc that you would need to ship to the client for playback on either a BD player, or on a computer via BD player software.

You could also use one of the BD formats/CODEC's and then a service, like YouSendIt to allow your client to download and play the files via a BD software player. With most of these services, you can limit viewing by others, password protect and also get notification of your client's downloading of the files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
              jimevans_2000 Level 1

I guess I need to explain better. The HD videos I'm editing will not end up on youtube, but will be posted on a government agency's website. I originally posted them on youtube just so the client could take a look without me having to attempt to email large video files or burn to disk, since the client is in a different location from me.

The area of video editing and production that I'm the least knowledgeable - and therefore the most insecure - is when I attempt to render and save a video. Every video project I go through the same frustration of having a project that I'm happy with, but having a final product that either 1) does not look at all sharp or 2) results in a file size which is too large. In this case, since the final video files will be posted online, they need to be small enough for viewing over the net while maintaining enough sharpeness and quality that the video does not look out of focus.

If you take a look at this video, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_X0IKPJrng you can see why my client thought it was out of focus. However, I know that the original footage is very sharp.This link is only temporary, as I've already been told that the agency I work for will not allow them to be posted on youtube.

So, my question is, when I'm rendering and saving a video project from PE7, how do I know what settings to use for the highest quality, yet smallest file size? The manual does not go into much detail about the pros and cons of various codecs, nor does it say much about what settings do what. It's like Adobe expects me to already know this information.

Is the problem with the video above simply that youtube compresses the videos I upload? Is Vimeo a better site to upload videos and maintain sharpness? In PE7, is there a way to set it up to upload to Vimeo, or should I render and save as an MP2 or MP4 file and then manually upload?

Surely there's a site which goes into much greater details about the various settings I can use in PE, and how those settings affect the final viewing product.

Thanks a lot for your help. I realize my questions show an extreme lack of experience, but that's why I'm here, right?

• 4. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                The HD videos I'm editing will not end up on youtube, but will be posted on a government agency's website.

Thank you for the clarification. In this case, I would contact the agency's Webmaster, and get the desired specifics required. MP4 (H.264) is a popular HD format/CODEC for Web-based AV display, but the page's layout might dictate otherwise, such as FLV (Flash). It is akin to having an image that will go to a printer. One needs to get the specs. from that printer, and adhere to what they want for the particular job.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
                  nealeh Level 5

jimevans_2000 wrote:

If you take a look at this video, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_X0IKPJrng you can see why my client thought it was out of focus.

I'm guessing that your client is not too computer savvy. That clip looks sharp enough to me - I can clearly see the reflection of the measuring unit in the plastic shelf it sits on.

My money is on your client using LCD monitors BUT they don't have the display resolution set to the native resolution of the monitor. This forces the monitor to rescale the image and that always introduces blurring. I suggest asking your client's IT department to check that out.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
                    jimevans_2000 Level 1

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely on my way to understanding. Prior to receiving the last few replies, I had already contacted the client to get the specs on what size video he needs, and I had also discovered that I had set the project up incorrectly in the first place. I'm re-rendering now and. following the tutorial here http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/12/08/exporting-with-adobe-premiere-in-720p/ (although it's two years old). I'm encouraged that I'll be able to get a quality video for my client.

Thanks again for your help!

• 7. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
                      nealeh Level 5

jimevans_2000 wrote:

If you take a look at this video, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_X0IKPJrng you can see why my client thought it was out of focus. However, I know that the original footage is very sharp.

<snip>

Is the problem with the video above simply that youtube compresses the videos I upload?

Possibly. There are two versions of your footage on youtube, the standard version (10MB file) and an HD version (99MB). Which version did you upload? Which version did your clients view?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: How can I determine which codec to use?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

If your client's Webmaster specifies FLV, you might want to look into a couple of utilities. Hope I get this first one correct - many on the PrPro forum use F4V, instead of the PrPro FLV Exporter via Adobe Media Encoder. Also, Moyea does a ton of various FLV encoders and decoders. I use their PremierePro Importer for my PrPro 2.0. It does not yet work in PrPro CS4, but Moyea is working on it. In my case, I am Importing FLV, and NOT Exporting to that format. Still, some of their products might prove very useful to you.

Just trying to help, and good luck,

Hunt