2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 3:03 PM by nealeh

Converting MPEG-4 to MPEG-2

mlrenko

I have a Sony DSC-T500 camera that also shoots HD video in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format.  Last week I bought a Panasonic HD television TC-P50G10 that has an auxillary SD card input.  The pupose is to view your JPEG stills of MPEG-2 videos on the TV.  I bought a new 8GB SD card and plugged it into the face of my PC (SD card input).  I placed several JPEG stills and a few MPEG-4 videos on the card.  When I place the card in the TV slot the JPEGS look great.  However it says there are no videos on the SD card.  I think the problem is that the Panasonic TV manual says it is expecting AVCHD MPEG-2 is the supported format.  I have Adobe PE on my PC.  Can someone tell me if I can use this tool to convert the MPEG-4 videos to MPEG-2?  What is the best way to go about this?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Converting MPEG-4 to MPEG-2
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements is a very nice video editor -- and a lousy video converter, especially for those pocket cams that shoot in MPG4s.

See if one of these programs will do what you need.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Converting MPEG-4 to MPEG-2
            nealeh Level 5

mlrenko wrote:

However it says there are no videos on the SD card.  I think the problem is that the Panasonic TV manual says it is expecting AVCHD MPEG-2 is the supported format.

I had the reverse situation.  Recordings from my Panasonic TV to the SD card would not play back on my PC. Eventually I found a post on a Panasonic forum that contained a link to the codec my TV was using and, after installing it, I could read those SD videos on my PC. I wonder if that codec is also needed for encoding from the PC to view on the TV. Unfortunately I can't immediately lay my hands on the link I found.

It may be worth your while flagging this question to Panasonic Support.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children