9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 6:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Capture Device for PE 4

Bertminator

Hi everyone, I have Premiere Elements 4 and have currently been using Turtle Beach VideoAdvantage PCI to capture my videos, however, I am planning to upgrade to Windows 7 soon, and my capture device won't work on Win 7.  Can anyone here suggest a decent-quality capture device, that I could buy that would be compatible with Premiere Elements 4 & Windows 7?  I don't mind spending a bit more for quality, but I MUST HAVE s-video and RCA connections for capture as my current setup doesn't have firewire.  Please suggest only devices that will be Premiere elements friendly & Win 7 compatible.

Thanks all

...bert

• 1. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read here to see if this will work... I'm not sure if it has non-Firewire connection to computer

http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/ADVC300/index.php

• 2. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I also have the Turtle Beach Advantage PCI, and will be replacing it with the Grass Valley/Canopus ADVC 300 FW unit. There is also a slightly lower-priced unit, the ADVC 110, but I like the timebase corrections available with the 300.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              as my current setup doesn't have firewire.

Now, I read this to mean that the Turtle Beach Advantage does not have FW, but now I wonder if you mean that your computer does not have FW. That would obviously be a mark against the Grass Valley/Canopus units, as they are FW connected. BTW, a FW card can be added for very little $. Go for a mulit-chip FW controller. Many also offer multi-chip FW-800 & FW-400 connections/controllers.

If you must have PCI/PCIe, I'm not sure what cards are out there anymore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
                Bertminator Level 1

Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant was that all my video "output" devices don't have firewire capabilities.  The Turtle beach card I have has firewire, USB, S video, DV-I, and RCA connectability, I just can't take advantage of using the firewire feature.

• 5. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
                  Bertminator Level 1

Will that device be Premiere elements friendly?  i.e. will you be able to capture within Premiere elements?

• 6. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the clarification. Actually, after I re-read, and pondered some more, I went up to the studio to check out my Turtle Beach Advantage, and saw that it even added a FW connection, and I checked its specs. to see that it did have a controller chip, to take the stress off the MoBo's FW chips. Then, I thought of a third meaning - the one that you just verified.

Now, back to your request: either the 110, or the 300 should work fine for you. I will be adding the 300, for those mentioned timebase corrections, etc. Though my Turtle Beach has done well, with few complaints, it will soon be legacy hardware, like my SyJet discs and drive...

I'm sure that there are some good competitors, but I have yet to find them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Will that device be Premiere elements friendly?

I cannot tell you. I would guess that it will, but do not use PrE for my Capture. From miniDV tape, I use either PrPro, or Scenealyzer Live. For HD, I will probably use HDVSplit. Sorry, but I just do not know. I will, however, be following your thread, to pick up tips from others.

Good luck, and sorry to not be of more help,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
                        Bertminator Level 1

Do you mind if I ask you one question about the turtle beach software "Video Advantage".  Does your Audio slider work at all?  Mine never does, and the volume can only be controlled by xp''s volume control feature.  Normally I have to have the volume slider set so low that any lower would mute the input.  Even at one notch above "mute", the audio levels are still above "green".  What can you tell me about YOUR Video Advantage Audio?

• 9. Re: Capture Device for PE 4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, the Turtle Beach Audio. I have to select it several times from the drop-down, and with each new session, until it "takes." It took me a while to get a handle on this, and I still have to test it several times, to make sure that it works perfectly. When I get it going, it then works fine, but not until.

Good luck,

Hunt