6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 4:10 PM by RVS Valve

Running multiple instances of Premiere

RVS Valve

This may be a dumb question, and I admit I'm new and naive to Premiere, but I've Googled and I've searched the forums here, and I must say the only thing I've found regarding this is 5 years old. I'm a little pressed for time, so I figured this would be the quickest way to get an answer. I want to run multiple instances of Adobe Premiere Pro 4.2 on a Vista 32bit system. Is is possible, and how would I go about doing so? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Running multiple instances of Premiere
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I do not believe it to be possible.  What are you trying to accomplish?

• 2. Re: Running multiple instances of Premiere
            RVS Valve Level 1

I edited a film using DVCPRO files that I transcoded from AVCHD 720p. After some deliberating, it was decided that the DVCPRO was not good enough, and now I have to recreate the entire film using the AVC files. I tried getting premiere to associate the AVC files with the DVC project, but because the DVC files have two audio tracks, and AVC has only one, it's saying it's not possible. So I was hoping to be able to run one instance with the DVC files as a reference, then alt-tab over to the AVC version and just match up the timecodes. If there's a way to associate AVC files with a DVC project, that'd be most excellent. However, I don't see that as a viable option.

• 3. Re: Running multiple instances of Premiere
              shooternz Level 6

Do the timecodes match?

Try exporting an EDL.

It could even just be handy to have a printed EDL for your task anyway.

• 4. Re: Running multiple instances of Premiere
                RVS Valve Level 1

That wouldn't be so bad, except there are multiple takes per angle, and I renamed the clips in Premiere, so instead of 00023, it says Person Running. So instead of just looking at the time codes in the EDL, showing "00023 starts etc etc" it shows "Person Running etc etc" and I would have to guess as to which exact take it would be that was used.

*edit* I just looked, and I could concievably click on the properties for each clip, and it shows the original file name, so it would be possible to rename them all to the original file name. It just looks like it's gonna take some extra work, on top of my already large load.

• 5. Re: Running multiple instances of Premiere
                  shooternz Level 6

my guess would be that the edl shows the original filename.

• 6. Re: Running multiple instances of Premiere
                    RVS Valve Level 1

No, the EDL shows the clip name that I gave the clip in Premiere. Even so, I just tried syncing up the edits, and the timecodes are completely different. For the DVC files, it shows the time from the beginning of the card, but for the AVC files, it only shows from the beginning of the clip. So the timecodes in the EDL, from the DVC, shows 00:22:16:04 for the start of an edit from a clip, but when I load the AVC to try and match it, it starts at 00:00:00 for that clip. Even the frame numbers don't match.