2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 6:37 AM by wilson5301

Opening a PDF results in a blank page

wilson5301

Hello,

One of my clients is having problems opening PDF files on his machine.  When he tries to open up a PDF, Internet explorer will open a new blank window.  Refreshing does nothing.  However, sometimes it will open up the actual PDF.  (Maybe 1/10 attempts.)  I've tried this on my account and it also occurs.  I've tried reinstalling Adobe Reader, to no avail.  I've also gone in and removed all registry keys involving Adobe Reader before reinstalling.  Resetted internet explorer settings.  Set up Adobe Reader to not open PDFs in browser.  Nothing seems to be working.  My next step is to reinstall Internet explorer 7, but I've got a bit of red tape to go through before I can accomplish this.  In the meantime, does anyone have any advice?  Thank you.

My user is using Internet explorer 7, Adobe Reader 7.0.9 on Windows XP Pro.  Before anyone tells me to update and try again, All software must go through a thorough testing process.  No one has certified Reader 9.2 yet because 7 works just fine for our needs, so therefore upgrading is completely out of the question.  I have a very specific list of software I have available.

Thanks,

- Marshall

• 1. Re: Opening a PDF results in a blank page
          pwillener Level 8

wilson5301 wrote:

When he tries to open up a PDF, Internet explorer will open a new blank window.

Open a PDF from where:

• saved locally on the computer?
          • from an online link?

If from an online link, I have seen the same before.  This usually occurs if the server where the document is located is very slow.  Retrying (F5) usually resolves the problem.

P.S. the latest secure version of Reader 7x is 7.1.4!

• 2. Re: Opening a PDF results in a blank page
            wilson5301 Level 1

This is from a web site link, or more precisely off the local intranet.  Everyone else has no problems opening up these links.  He also has problems viewing PDFs from other sites as well.  I've tried pressing F5, and it does not resolve the issue.