4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2009 8:33 AM by John T Smith

Looking at a new computer

new age outlaw

So  my HP PAvilion zd8000 can't handle the AVCHD format. The video skps and the audio is messed up and I have been told that I should get a new desktop/laptop with a new configuration preferably a dell instead upgrading my laptop.

Any suggestions on what type of setup would be appropriate? My only requirement is to that my computer has to be able to handle AVCHD Files.

• 1. Re: Looking at a new computer
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I strongly recommend that you follow the links in this ARTICLE to some posts by Harm Millaard. He is the hardware guru on the PrPro forum, and covers a lot of territory on systems for NLE work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Looking at a new computer
            Kodebuster Level 3

Dell or HP, pick your poison, within a given price range they will be quite similiar in price/performance.

For many the choice in HW vendors comes down to past experiences with their box or post sales support.

I've leaned towards HP as a preference, and usually purchase online via their website (www.hpshopping.com).

I also like the fact that HP with sell their box with PE as a software purchase add-on. They test in-house and state the software will run in any of their configurations that are sold with the PE add-on purchase.

Every PC I bought from them online with PE as an add-on, ran out-of-the-box with no issues.

I might be wrong, but I think Dell may also sell PE as an add-on, but I'm not sure.

Back to your AVCHD issue, many recommend at least a Quad Core with 4 gig as a bare MINIMUM.

If you have the bucks, I would go with an i7Core, 6 gig of ram or better, and as much Drive storage as your wallet will bear...

• 3. Re: Looking at a new computer
              new age outlaw Level 1

Thank you for the assist. Much appreciated. I will definitely look at the article.

Those specs are similar to what I have been told to get.

2gb+ for ram,

a good video card.

I did a chat with dell and they recommended this.

I am not going to make any purchases until I read that that article and do more research.

Thank you again everyone for your help.

• 4. Re: Looking at a new computer
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read near the top of http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM for what I plan to build

This is a lot of computer for ME, even though some of the real power users here would consider that to be just barely enough