6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 7:57 AM by Touranty

Fixed/Locked Top and Bottom Banner

RachStG
      I am wondering if there is a way to keep my top and bottom banners in the same place with a window in the middle that would scroll. (Basically making sure that the top and bottom are in the same position for every page, but the middle section being able to scroll when there is more content.) I would really appreciate any insight... Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Fixed/Locked Top and Bottom Banner
          Level 7
          The only reliable way would be to use frames.

BUT - you will pay a heavy price for this choice. The decision to use or
          not use frames should be based on a) your site's needs, and b) your
          willingness to accept the potential problems that frames can create for you
          as developer and maintainer of the site and for your visitors as casual
          users of the site.

I am down on frames because I believe that they create many more problems
          than they solve.
          Judging from the posts here, and the kinds of problems that are described,
          the kind of person most likely to elect to use frames is also the kind of
          person most likely ill-prepared fo solve the ensuing problems when they
          arise. If you feel a) that you understand the problems and b) that you are
          prepared to handle them when they occur, and c) that you have a need to use
          frames, then by all means use them.

As far as I know, the most comprehensive discussions of frames and their
          potential problems can be found on these two links -

http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php
          http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/frames/

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"RachStG" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g5dnst$j3b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am wondering if there is a way to keep my top and bottom banners in the
          >same
          > place with a window in the middle that would scroll. (Basically making
          > sure
          > that the top and bottom are in the same position for every page, but the
          > middle
          > section being able to scroll when there is more content.) I would really
          > appreciate any insight... Thanks!
          >

• 2. Re: Fixed/Locked Top and Bottom Banner
            RachStG Level 1
            Thanks Murray *ACE* – I was afraid of that reply. I don't like frames, and would prefer a different method. I just thought I'd see if there were any other way... Thanks, again!
            • 3. Re: Fixed/Locked Top and Bottom Banner
              Level 7
              .oO(RachStG)

>I am wondering if there is a way to keep my top and bottom banners in the same
              >place with a window in the middle that would scroll. (Basically making sure
              >that the top and bottom are in the same position for every page, but the middle
              >section being able to scroll when there is more content.) I would really
              >appreciate any insight... Thanks!

Main question is why you want that? There's hardly a reaons for that. Or
              are the banners more important than the site's content? For the users
              it's just wasted screen space.

You should let the pages scroll normally. That's most userfriendly and
              the way how billions of websites work.

Micha
              • 4. Re: Fixed/Locked Top and Bottom Banner
                RachStG Level 1
                Michael,

The client supplied their own files, and requested the page to be laid out as such. (I am just programming for them.) While I am well aware of how frames work, and what is most "user-friendly", I am only trying to accomplish what the client requested. However, I appreciate your feedback.
                • 5. Re: Fixed/Locked Top and Bottom Banner
                  Level 7
                  .oO(RachStG)

> The client supplied their own files, and requested the page to be laid out as
                  >such. (I am just programming for them.) While I am well aware of how frames
                  >work, and what is most "user-friendly", I am only trying to accomplish what the
                  >client requested.

In such cases educate them. Tell them that what they want doesn't make
                  much sense and will be an annoyance for _their_ own clients.

>However, I appreciate your feedback.

You're welcome.

Micha
                  • 6. Re: Fixed/Locked Top and Bottom Banner
                    Touranty
                    Ye frames can be abit of a headache to be honest