What codec was used to create the AVI file? Use the free program GSpot to find out. If it's DV type-1, then that would explain the behavior you're seeing. You would need to convert it to DV type-2.
thanks for the info. I had actually read th other similar threads, but was sure it might be different as 6 out of the 7 files, all encoded the same way were fine.
It is DV type 1.
I'll try the other option.
I have observed similar, though with a totally different workflow. I get handed all sorts of "stuff," and have to work with it. Much gets run through my conversion program and the conversion to DV-AVI Type II is almost always perfect to work with, though with the common, resultant loss in quality from the intial encoding. Every now and then, I get one of these that will Import into PrPro with the wrong duration. It's usually pretty heavily truncated to say 04;00;00, when it should be 45;00;00. These problem files play fine in various players, and G-Spot (plus others) show the proper Duration.
Now, I have found that if I Import the problem file into PrElements, and then just Export as a DV-AVI Type II (same settings as from the conversion program), the Duration issue is fixed. I have compared the two DV-AVI Type II's to each other, and they show as being identical. DupeFile Finder shows them as the same! Still, one will NOT Import with the proper Duration, and the other one will. To date, I have not been able to find out why. It just works.
This workaround has been 100% successful, and I just use PrE as a tool to "fix" whatever is wrong.
Like I said, the result is the same as yours, but the source and workflow is just different.
Wish I could explain the why, or what is happening, but I cannot.