1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 6:30 AM by Todd_Kopriva

New Text Layer Always Appears at Begining of the Comp Timeline

Mitchell Remes

This is probably a quick fix and I just haven't read the documentation properly, so sorry if that is the case.  Am using CS3 on Windows

Everytime I use the text tool to write some new text on the comp window the new text layer appears at the begining of the comp timeline so I can't see what I am typing.  This means going to the begining of the comp every time I need to add new text, is this a bug or a setting problem?  I also need to copy and paste from Word or Notepad to add multi language sub titles, and this simply seems to not work using the normal copy (cntrl C) and paste (cntrl V) shortcuts (doesn't work from copy or paste in the menu structure either, for that matter).  Any suggestions guys?

• 1. Re: New Text Layer Always Appears at Begining of the Comp Timeline
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          > Everytime I use the text tool to write some new text on the comp window the new text layer appears at the begining of the comp timeline so I can't see what I am typing.  This means going to the begining of the comp every time I need to add new text, is this a bug or a setting problem?

from "Layers overview":

"By default, new layers begin at the beginning of the composition duration. You can instead choose to have new layers begin at the current time by deselecting the Create Layers At Composition Start Time preference (Edit > Preferences > General (Windows) or After Effects > Preferences > General (Mac OS))."

> I also need to copy and paste from Word or Notepad to add multi language sub titles, and this simply seems to not work using the normal copy (cntrl C) and paste (cntrl V) shortcuts (doesn't work from copy or paste in the menu structure either, for that matter).  Any suggestions guys?

There's a possible fix described on this page.

I found both of these answers to your questions using the After Effects Community Help search. (I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with asking here; I'm just showing you where you can maybe have better luck finding answers for your next questions.)