7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 10:45 PM by VDOSurfer

Application conflicts

pribco Level 1

I have what appears to be a conflict of applications.  You might recognize this a a continuation of a previous thread.

I have a Creative webcam that comes with an application called Live Central.  This application allows some cutsie special effects that the grandkids like.

If the application is installed, when I try to import video from MiniDV video camera, the whole computer crashes. This happens if using Premere, Movie maker or WinDV.

If only the latest drivers for the cam (video and microphone) are installed, but the application is not, the webcam works fine and so does MiniDV import--no crash.

Are there any suggestions??  Is it possible to disable the webcam application or a different way to install?  Right now I am uninstalling and re-installing as appropriate which is a bit of a pain.

Using Vista 64 bit system.

Pribco

• 1. Re: Application conflicts
          nealeh Level 5

pribco wrote:

I have what appears to be a conflict of applications.  You might recognize this a a continuation of a previous thread.

I have a Creative webcam that comes with an application called Live Central.  This application allows some cutsie special effects that the grandkids like.

If the application is installed, when I try to import video from MiniDV video camera, the whole computer crashes. This happens if using Premere, Movie maker or WinDV.

If only the latest drivers for the cam (video and microphone) are installed, but the application is not, the webcam works fine and so does MiniDV import--no crash.

I too am having a webcam problem (not related to PRE though). The quick cure I found was to unplug the webcam from its USB port, count to ten then plug it back in. What happens if you unplug the webcam and then run PRE?

Also, are there any webcam applications in the system tray? If so you can probably exit them and see what happens with PRE.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Application conflicts
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot address your specific Webcam, but have seen many cases of the Mac Webcam applications (there are 2 popular ones with the same name, IIRC) killing the computer's ability to Capture. While these are installed, no Capture. When removed, Capture is fine.

For the PC, I'd use MSCONFIG (launched from Start>Run>MSCONFIG to shut down the Creative app., when you need to Capture.

Another method would be to use a program, like EndItAll2, to shut down all non-essential apps. and Processes, prior to an NLE session. This ARTICLE will give some tips on doing so.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Application conflicts
              pribco Level 1

Thanks for the replies--unplug does not work--it does not seem to be a driver problem

Enditall2 does not allow killing the process involved.

How do I run MSCONFIG in Vista 64 bit??

I was sort of hoping I would be able to right click delete in the programs file, sending it to recycle bin, then retore when needed.

• 4. Re: Application conflicts
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                How do I run MSCONFIG in Vista 64 bit??

Unfortunately, I cannot help here. All of my OS's are XP-Pro and 32-bit.

In the meantime, you should be able to kill the Process in Task Manager, but again you're on Vista-64.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Application conflicts
                  pribco Level 1

thanks, Hunt

I figgered it out-no joy. MSCONFIGed all creative programs--video import still crashes.

Might try the delete/restore just for fun.

Bill

• 6. Re: Application conflicts
                    pribco Level 1

Doesn't work--

Contacted Creative support--don't expect much from them.

• 7. Re: Application conflicts
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Uninstalling the camera software, creating another user profile in the PC and installing in that user profile could be worth a try. Ideally this would mean that if you want to use the camera software, you would have to switch user and if you use the Premiere Elements application switch back.

Ideally...