5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 8:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio Dropout in Elements 8

hunchermunch Level 1

Just started using Elements 8.  Imported a short video from Panasonic SDR-S26 which produces MPEG-2.  After a few seconds the sound disappears completely. The sound is there when I play the video in Windows Media Player. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Audio Dropout in Elements 8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you did the Import, did you allow PrE to finish the Conforming phase? Depending on the speed of one's computer, and the Duration of the Clip, this can take some time. This is a necessry phase, and must be allowed to compete. There should be a small progress window (do not know where it is on PrE 8), and all operations should be allowed to compete. This process does two things for Audio - it converts the Audio to 32-bit floating point for editing (.CFA file), and creates the .PEK file, which is the Waveform Display. For MPEG-2 footage, there is also the Indexing phase, that basically converts the footage to full I-frame for editing.

Now, in your Clip, when you look at the Waveform (Audio Track), do you see a full display, or is it flat-line?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio Dropout in Elements 8
            hunchermunch Level 1

Thanks for the useful advice.  I did wait a couple of minutes for PrE progress windows to finish converting and importing.  However I have solved it by simply restarting  and opening a new project.  This time I imported from the PC rather than an external hard drive, not sure if that made a difference.  Anyhow the audio plays this time. Strangely enough, the first time, there was audio visible throughout the file, yet I couldn't hear it. Thanks, again.

• 3. Re: Audio Dropout in Elements 8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news!

If the external was perhaps a 5400 RPM unit, especially if connected via USB, then it was likely a playback issue. Audio is I/O, i.e. HDD, inensive. Moving to a 7200 RPM internal might have been all that was needed.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio Dropout in Elements 8
                hunchermunch Level 1

Basically it was straight from the SD card, in a card player - would that make for the same problem?

• 5. Re: Audio Dropout in Elements 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  it was straight from the SD card, in a card player - would that make for the same problem?

I do not know. I have never tried to play from a card reader myself, as I always copy over to the HDD's. If the card reader is USB, then the connection speed could be a factor. I just do not know.

Good luck,

Hunt