12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 10:59 AM by Lost In My Mind

Time Remap

Lost In My Mind Level 1

Yep, used F1, RTFM, followed recommended links, Mark's book, etc. , and learned lots about time remapping. The thing I didn't learn was when using the graph editor (which is my preferred method) and I want to hold time for a few seconds, how do I do it without the remainder of the ramp getting steeper and speeding up the video? I tried increasing the length of the comp to allow for the extra time, but no luck. Would appreciate any help on the subject. Thanks.

PS. Is there a hotkey to add a keyframe at the CTI?

• 1. Re: Time Remap
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

PS. Is there a hotkey to add a keyframe at the CTI?

No, unfortunately not. Regarding your other problem I don't exactly understand you. To prevent it "shooting off", you simply need to push the last keyframe as many frames back in time as your hold duration is on the segment, so the slope stays constant....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Time Remap
            Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Mylenium for your time. Sorry to hear about no hotkey . As for the rest, I guess I could try and figure out how many frames or seconds I hold the video, and then try and move the last keyframe as you suggest, but that seems really inefficient. I was hoping for a setting or technique that automatically keeps the rest of the clip at it's original speed. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Time Remap
              Trish Meyer Level 1

It's easier than it sounds. Go to the time you want to start the hold section, and click the keyframe icon to create a new keyframe. Then select the new keyframe and the last one and drag both keyframes to the right (doesn't matter for now how far). With the CTI still at the same point in time, select the new keyframe, Copy it, and Paste it back to the current time. Set the pasted keyframe to Toggle Hold Keyframe.

Now all you have to do is figure out how many frames you want for the hold section and always move the last two keyframes together.

• 4. Re: Time Remap

Welcome Trish, you little busy bee!

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Time Remap
                  joshtownsend Level 2

oh wow hi Trish. Good to see you here..

• 6. Re: Time Remap
                    Lost In My Mind Level 1

First, I would like to get something out of the way.......OMG, it's Trish Meyer!!!!  I know that you and Chris hear it all day long, but thank you for all that you have done for me and everyone else in the world of VFX.

It's easier than it sounds.

Not for me . To make it work, should I increase the length of the Comp? And is there a way to constrain the movement of the keyframes to the original slope of the graph, as opposed to doing it by eye?

Thank you again, and keep up the good work! Cindy

• 7. Re: Time Remap
                      And is there a way to constrain the movement of the keyframes to the original slope of the graph, as opposed to doing it by eye?

Actually that is what Trish was suggesting - after the operation you end up with four keyframes where keys A-B have the same slopew as the range between keys C-D. Between B-C you get a flat pedestal that actually makes time freeze, because the progressing source value (composition time) is mapped to a constant value (your layer time). It's really straightforward. Extending the comp may help, if you push the keyframes so far in time, that they escape from view otherwise, but may not always be necessary. Short of that, of course there would always be expressions to generate constant motion, but it realyl should not be needed here.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Time Remap
                        Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you for your help Mylenium, but one of us seems to be confused.........gee, I wonder which one . If you looked at my attachment on my last post, when I do as Trish suggested 'Then select the new keyframe and the last one and drag both keyframes to the right' they are able to move horizontally and vertically, as opposed to being constrained to the velocity envelope, which of course changes the speed of the clip which I am not looking to do, other than the freeze. So I am trying to get the speed of the clip before the freeze, and after the freeze to be real time. Thanks. Cin

• 9. Re: Time Remap

Well, you are supposed to move horizontally - you want to map multiple source time values to a constant target value to get the hold effect. the reason why it doesn't work for you, is because you forget to copy&paste the keyframe to create the plateau. After I've watched your clip now, it is very apparent that you missed that step.

Mylenium

• 10. Re: Time Remap
                            Trish Meyer Level 1

You should have 4 keyframes - KF1-2 is a ramp, KF2-3 is a hold, and KF3-4 is a ramp

Also, you might find it easier to move the 3-4 keyframes and maintain the same graph if you're not in the graph editor! Flip back to normal view, and grab the last two keyframe icons and drag to the right - that way you can't accidentally go up & down in the graph (which changes velocity).

• 11. Re: Time Remap
                              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Mylenium, in my attachment I never made it to the point of Copy and Paste. I was trying to show that as I moved the keyframe to the right (before I C&P) as Trish recommended, that I couldn't get it to constrain to the velocity envelope. And yes, I know that I move the keyframe horizontaly, but I was hoping for a hotkey like Shift (which constrains to horizontal and 45 degrees in most programs), but would constrain it to the graph envelope, so when I moved down the timeline I wouldn't affect the velocity. Thanks as always for your help.

Trish, (I hope I can call you by your first name) your last post was what I was looking to do. By going back to normal view, and moving the keyframes there, it didn't affect the slope of the velocity envelope before or after the freeze. I was hoping to do it all in the graph editor, but who's going to complain about a few extra clicks if it works . A huge thank you once again for everything you do, share, and know. Cindy

• 12. Re: Time Remap
                                Lost In My Mind Level 1

Just an update. If you turn on 'Show Transform Box when multiple keys are selected' then do as Trish suggested while you hold the Shift key, the keyframes will be constrained to the original slope. Thanks for the help. Cin