• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8 project crashed again

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week my large RoboHelp project crashed (due to the November 2 bug or whatever), and I was able to recover the project by opening the HHP file and importing missing files. Importing the missing files also seemed to fix the broken links for the images.

The bad news is that late this afternoon the project crashed again. (And this project is due Monday morning, so the timing is not good.) I tried rebooting, renaming the cpd file, and opening the project -- with bad results, namely, the "missing files and broken links" problem all over again. So now I'm trying to decide whether I should:

- Open the HHP again (which will probably require a lot of importing work)

-or-

- Open the previous day's project backup (which will also require a lot of work)

Any advice?

When can we expect Adobe's fix for the November 2 bug?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can continue to happen at any time which is why I say in Opening RH Projects to keep making backups. You will have to either repeat the steps in that article, which may repair some of all of the missing topics, or use the backup. Those are the only options.

Once you have your project clean again, your choice is either to use the pre-release DLLs, your risk, or to keep backing up. It doesn't take long to zip a project so consider even as frequently as hourly.

I don't know when Adobe will be issuing the fix.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, even on a Saturday, and for your recommendations. Thanks also for the update regarding the Adobe fix. Good suggestion to backup more often than daily! (I've learned the hard way now. However, the rescued file had worked well for six days: I had misassumed that it was sound again.)

To get a good working project again and to restore the work that I lost on Friday, I'm planning to:

- Use the day-old backup (I'm thinking it may be more reliable than converting the HHP file, which encountered a second crash)

- Import the htm and image files that I added on Friday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like the way to go. I don't know how many files are involved but if more than say 25 (random number) I might just keep zipping away.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Regarding number of files, yes, a lot -- hundreds, perhaps thousands. So I'll back up periodically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2009 Nov 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm also experiencing a RH8 crashing issue...however, I'm not sure if my issues are related. Peter, maybe you can tell me; I figured I'd try here before creating a new thread.

I'm having trouble opening certain project files...period. As soon as I launch RH8 and select my project from the list of Recent Projects, I get the "Adobe RoboHelp 8 has encountered a problem..." window right away. What did I do wrong? This problem just surfaced for me this week. Now, I'm working on a different project, and just a little while ago,  it's crashing when I open certain files. I was just working on this particular project a couple of hours ago w/ no problems, but now, everytime I select that file, I crash. So, I have a couple of things going on and I'm really not sure what happened.

Is this fixable? Is it related to the Nov. bug being discussed? Today's crashed project has only few files, but the one that's been giving me problems all week is HUGE (60-70 topics, hundreds of images).

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2009 Nov 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds related but there's no way of knowing for sure.

You can try what is covered in Opening RH Projects on my site. If you want the pre-release DLLs mentioned in the forum announcement, click the email link there. It was hoped the final version would be released today but that has had to be pushed back, for good reason and hopefully only for a day or two.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp