5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 12:49 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Computer Monitor calibration

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All,

Since I'm now seriously doing Pre Pro and AE I think its time to get over the uncertainty of how to calibrate.   The only thing that I have to judge the color of my work is my computer screens and the tv when I burn a DVD.

So Im looking for any advice when calibrating.  I use an Apple display monitor and an older HP 72 monitor for my second screen.

When in the system preferences display controls, I was wondering does choosing any particular resolution makes for a better or more accurate display of the video on the monitor.

My Systerm Preferences Color Display has 5 Display Profiles including the one that I created with the Calibrator Assistant: (1)  Cinema HD (what I created after using the Cailibrator Assistant);    (2)  Adobe RGB (1998);   (3)  Generic RGB Profile;   (4)  HP D8904CN21 (my second monitor); and (5) sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Which should I use???

Thanks

• 1. Re: Computer Monitor calibration
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

For video work, always leave the default sRGB. Everything else would only skew the color any further. Still, without a proper calibration device, that's not gonna be perfect, either. You screen brightness could be out of whack, you could have adjusted the color in a million otehr places on the graphics card or the monitor and so on... It really comes down to measuring out your screens and creating a color profile for them. So if you are really concerned, at least borrow a Spyder, EyeOne, Colormunki or similar once to see, how your screens actually should look, when they are "neutral".

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Computer Monitor calibration
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

"For video work, always leave the default sRGB"

Are you suggesting that even for the Apple Monitor I use sRGB also.

When I look into the color profiles for the other set-ups I notice:

for the AdobeRGB1998.icc  " Platform: Apple and Creator: Adobe"  and 

for the sRGB Profile.iccPlatform: Microsoft, Creator HP"

Picture 1.png

I'm confused for my Apple monitor in that since it is an Apple monitor and I'm using Adobe Products (Creative Suite) why am i not using a profile created by those companies for their products; or the Profile created by using the Display Calibrator Assistant.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Computer Monitor calibration
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

No, sRGB should not be used as a monitor profile. It's meant to be used as a project working space, ie the color space in which AE performs color operations.

The idea that you should always use sRGB as a working space is a matter of opinion and, above all, it depends on the nature of your project.

Here is a very informative white paper from Adobe on Color Management in AE CS4.

I'm confused for my Apple monitor in that since it is an Apple monitor and I'm using Adobe Products (Creative Suite) why am i not using a profile created by those companies for their products; or the Profile created by using the Display Calibrator Assistant.

The Display Calibration Assistant is completely unreliable, especially for LCD screens. I wonder if it's a good idea at all that they keep including it in the Mac OS. The whole idea of calibrating a display by manually moving sliders until a test pattern blends in with itself doesn't get along well with LCD screens.

The factory profile for Cinema displays is better than the factory profiles for other displays, but it's still way off from what you would achieve using a display calibration device. If you consider that a gizmo like the Spyder Express is about $70, I think such a device is a great investment.

• 4. Re: Computer Monitor calibration
                Cris is Bliss Level 1

Ok. Thank you for that information.  Until I can afford a professional monitor, a $70 investment in the Spyder Express is right up my alley.

However, you still have confused the hell out of me regarding which profile to use for my monitors.  I'm going to treat it like I treat a pair of speakers when I'm doing a mix.  I'll use what I'm used to and when in the final stages of my project I will look at it under the various color profiles to make sure it is acceptable and nothing is way off.

• 5. Re: Computer Monitor calibration
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                  However, you still have confused the hell out of me regarding which profile to use for my monitors.  I'm going to treat it like I treat a pair of speakers when I'm doing a mix.  I'll use what I'm used to and when in the final stages of my project I will look at it under the various color profiles to make sure it is acceptable and nothing is way off.

Chis: Sorry if I caused even more confusion.

The profiles which appear in the Display pane's Color tab are called "Display profiles".

The operating system uses these to (ideally) show color more accurately on your computer screen.

The Cinema Display profiles which appear on that list are "canned" profiles made by Apple.

They are automatically assigned (if you have a Cinema Display, obviously) and they are much better than a generic monitor profile. Please, don't start switching monitor profiles as you described. None of them will fit your display better than the factory profile (again, assuming you really have a Cinema Display).

These factory profiles are not nearly as good as the profile you would get after using a device like the Spyder. In other words, the end result of using a calibration device is a custom monitor/display profile.

On top of being used by the Operating System, AE can take the monitor profile into account, but only when you enable Color Management. If this scares you, don't worry. Just creating a monitor profile will in itself make overall color rendition more reliable. You DON'T have to enable Color Management to have more reliable color (ie, taking advantage of the custom monitor profile generated by the device).

The sRGB profile mentioned in a post above (just like others, such as Adobe RGB, SDTV PAL, HDTV REC.709, etc) are meant to be used in AE as project working spaces in a color managed workflow. It doesn't have any relationship to the monitor profile, it just makes AE use a certain map of possible colors when processing content in your Comp (when you enable Color Management, AE takes into account the monitor profile to convert colors from the working space to the display space/profile to have a more reliable preview).

I hope it's more clear now.