5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 9:03 AM by JimHess-8IPblY

I don't understand DNG Converter and legacy versions of Camera Raw

Mark 7n

I would like some help understanding what happens when you use DNG converter and open the resulting file in an old version of Camera Raw or Lightroom.

I think I understand that with Camera Raw or Lightroom use two camera profiles for every supported camera.  And that DNG also uses camera specific profiles.

But I don't understand what happens when you open a DNG Converter produced file (from a camera not supported in previous versions of Camera Raw or Lightroom) in an old version of Camera Raw or Lightroom. Is the camera specific profile being used to extrapolate colour information?

• 1. Re: I don't understand DNG Converter and legacy versions of Camera Raw
          foyle3

Seem

s to me after rtwo solid days of searching/trying/reading/scalp harming that older versions of Pshop and Lroom just don't play the DNG/ Camera Profiles game at all.  I may have this wrong as I did get a list of camera profiles on my laptop with the latest downloads of DNG software and a fresh update of camera raw (to 3.7 !)  Now when I try to replicate on the desktop it's back to ACR 2.2 on the raw camera profile menu only.   I was experimenting with Colour chart profile creation for a job where colour rendering is crucial and the differences between standard and custom profile was evident - now I am back to the baffled state.  TEn minutes ago I read that only later versions of Pshop will play the camera profiles game so that's another £200 at a guess ?    Or of course Lightroom which I find unintuitive and slow and it's about the same price.  So it looks as if a colour chart in picture and a lot of fiddling is required after all - miracles v money - that old thing.  I just get tired when Adobe promise it all and hide the crucial fact that it don't work on your system.

• 2. Re: I don't understand DNG Converter and legacy versions of Camera Raw
            Marc11112

You are damned right.

I bought a Nikon D700, then Lightroom, then a book on Ligthroom,  then a printer Canon Pro9500.

The problems I have, just to achieve a good print are insane.

Today, after reading that it's necessary to install a camera profile, I downloaded these profiles.

But which one fits my D700? D2X mode 1, D2x mode2 or mode3?

It's so frustrating.

I spent a fortune on it but I'm not able to get decent prints.

• 3. Re: I don't understand DNG Converter and legacy versions of Camera Raw
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

The D700 is already supported by Lightroom 2.6, and Adobe has provided profiles for your camera.  The D1x, etc. are profiles to allow your camera to emulate those settings and you can choose any of them that meet your needs.  There is also one provided for most Nikon cameras that is labeled, Camera Standard.  That is the one that I use most often, but then I don't have as sophisticated of the camera as you do.  Just take the time to experiment with the different profiles to decide which one works best for you most of the time, and set it as your default profile.  Of course, you can always choose other profiles to meet specific situations.

• 4. Re: I don't understand DNG Converter and legacy versions of Camera Raw
                Marc11112 Level 1

Hello Jim

Thank you very much.

I tried what you suggested and ...... IT WORKED.

Thanks again.

Marc

• 5. Re: I don't understand DNG Converter and legacy versions of Camera Raw
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

You are welcome.  I'm glad it worked.  Just a little further clarification.  All of the profiles that you see listed in the calibration section are profiles that have been provided for your D700.  Lightroom recognizes your model, and displays only the profiles that are appropriate.  Of course, you can create additional profiles of your own if you find it necessary.  Just keep learning.  There is plenty of it to do.