11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2009 12:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload

dead fish float

Hi all,

I have a point and shoot that takes 720P (1280X720) video and they are saved to the SDHC Card as AVI files. I then save them to my desktop pc and import them into Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and arrange them on the timeline. My project settings are "NTSC-HDV-HDV720p 30". When I go to render and upload to my ftp directory on my web server, the final output has big black bars on the top and bottom of the video as if it were padding it for a regular NTSC 720X480 video file. The only way that I have been able to work around this is to go this route:

1: Share

2: Personal Computer

3: Adobe Flash Video

4: Select preset "NTSC Flash Video 8 700K"

5: Click the "Advanced" button

6: On the video tab, change the width and height to the aspect ratio that I am using such as 480 X 270

7: Click "OK" and save the preset to something meaningful

8: Click "Save"

9: Go find my FLV and upload it manually

Is there any way to save a preset to: Share, Online, My Website

Thanks...

Jeremy

• 1. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If by a "point and shoot" camera, you mean a still camera or one of those little pocket cams, like the Flip or the Webbie, you'll likely need to convert the files before bringing them into Premiere Elements.

They may seem to load fine when you're creating your project -- but sometimes issues with their unusual codecs or interlacing don't show up until you output the file. Converting to DV-AVI should resolve this issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
            dead fish float Level 1

So, are you saying that the "AVI" that my Pentax Optio W80 puts on my memory card is actually an "MP4? I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn. Thanks...

Jeremy

• 3. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
              dead fish float Level 1

I figured it might also help you to see the black bars that I am talking about... The first link is to the video export that adds the black bars:

http://www.towerboy.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20091114092513162

The second link is the manual export without the bars as explained in my first post:

http://www.towerboy.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20091113191924255

Jeremy

• 4. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it's always a bit easier to diagnose when I know what kind of camera we're dealing with.

And, since yours is a video from a still camera, you're dealing with another issue: the MJPEG-AVI codec.

Windows MovieMaker is the best software for converting it to an editable format.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  since yours is a video from a still camera, you're dealing with another issue: the MJPEG-AVI codec.

Steve,

You are better than I am. I could not locate any CODEC info from the Pentax site.

Now, if it is MJPEG, many have had good results by installing either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's. Both have gotten very high marks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                    dead fish float Level 1

Ok, so I did that and it exported it as 720 X 480. All messed up, it's squished in at the sides and it all looks tall... Aside from that, it is not the aspect ratio that I want. I guess the only way to get it the way that I want is to export it the way that I stated in my first post. Or is there another way? Thanks.

Jeremy

• 7. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                      dead fish float Level 1

Hunt,

I installed the Morgan V3 codec but I am not sure as to what it is supposed to do or what I am supposed to do with it now. I got a "500" error when trying to go to their forums...

Jeremy

• 8. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I installed the Morgan V3 codec but I am not sure as to what it is supposed to do or what I am supposed to do with it now.

Having a good MJPEG CODEC installed on one's system should allow them to easily edit the MJPEG AVI footage natively.

Now, what are the exact specs. of your MJPEG footage again? If necessary, G-Spot will give you full info. Your Project Preset needs to match that perfectly.

Now, if you have dissimilar footage and need to combine them, you must do a separate Project for each type/size of footage. You can manipulate, say Scale up one, or Scale down the other, then Export and use a new Project and Preset that matches now, and edit that new Project. PrE does not provide a method for perfectly matching up various types/sizes of footage.

You do have footage from two different cameras don't you? Or, am I confusing threads here?

I got a "500" error when trying to go to their forums...

I've never used the Morgan fora, but will see if I can connect to them via IE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                          dead fish float Level 1

OK. I have attached a screenshot of what gspot says...

Having a good MJPEG CODEC installed on one's system should allow them to easily edit the MJPEG AVI footage natively.

If you mean edit as in insert into the timeline and cutting a section here and adding an effect there and maybe even a nice little transition joining these two clips, then it already did that before I installed Morgan.

All my footage is from one camera. There is nothing "dissimalar" about any of it.

I've never used the Morgan fora, but will see if I can connect to them via IE.

Don't worry about it... You answered my question. I only wanted to go there to see if I could find the answer that you gave me.

So, is there anything wrong with my footage? Need more info?

Jeremy

• 10. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                            dead fish float Level 1

Something that I thought might be useful just to make sure that we are talking about the same problem is to post the difference in black bars that I am talking about... See attached photos...

Jeremy

• 11. Re: Black Horiz. Bars on My Website Upload
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the G-Spot screen-cap. The HD 720p (1280x720) Preset should match, and the Square pixels matches in the PAR.

If you mean edit as in insert into the timeline and cutting a section here and adding an effect there and maybe even a nice little transition joining these two clips, then it already did that before I installed Morgan.

Then you had an MJPEG CODEC installed, though there can be differences between many of them. This happens on occassion, where say the Morgan will do better for one user, than the MainConcept, or the Lead.

All my footage is from one camera. There is nothing "dissimalar" about any of it.

This is my mistake. I obviously confused threads. There was another that I was working on, where the footage came from two different cameras, and one was an MJPEG CODEC. Sorry about that - my bad. Just ignore.

Looking at your next post with the screen-caps, it still looks like a mismatch between the footage and the Project Preset. However, based on what G-Spot reported, the use of an HD 720p Preset with that footage should take care of it. Your footage should fill the frame, and it does not. It almost looks like PAL footage in an NTSC Project, or similar mismatch. I'll go back and re-read all of the details, trying to keep my mind on one thread at a time.

Good luck,

Hunt