8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 11:56 AM by enriquevw

How do I save for the web at 200%?

sweaterbabeez Level 1

I was asked to save a file for a client, her instructions were to save for the web at 200% from illustrator.  I have no idea what this means, and would love some help!

• 1. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
          shunithD Level 3

sweaterbabeez wrote:

I was asked to save a file for a client, her instructions were to save for the web at 200% from illustrator.  I have no idea what this means, and would love some help!

Mmm... interesting... i'd also love to hear an answer to that. Is it remotely possible – and most likely – that your client doesn't have a clue as to what she's talking about?

• 2. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

sweaterbabeez,

My guess is that she wants the artwork at twice the original size. To do that, in the Image Size window of the Save for Web palette/panel, insert *2 in the Width or Height window. Remember to have Anti-Aliasing and Constrain Proportions ticked; if your artwork is not rectangular, and you wish to save it as PNG or GIF, tick Transparency and set a Matte colour in the main window; the Matte should correspond to the background colour of the website.

• 3. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
              sevak1 Level 1

Once you are finished with your artwork you need to go to:

File    -  select save for web and devices

A window will open look for Color table image size and layers

Select image size in drop menu you will see percent  It will say 100

Change that to 200 and hit apply.

Thats how files are saved double in size for web as it keeps the file size small and accurate and also Dl fast on website.

• 4. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
                Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Better look at the file sizes again.

• 5. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
                  shunithD Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

My guess is that she wants the artwork at twice the original size.

Why on earth would anyone want images at 200% for the web? Pease note it's the saved image for the web... not the master artwork.

• 6. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Shunith,

She may have worked on it in 1:1, which is convenient, and then realized that it should be larger. But it is only a guess.

• 7. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
                      shunithD Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

She may have worked on it in 1:1, which is convenient, and then realized that it should be larger. But it is only a guess.

Hi Jacob....

Going by the OP's post:

"I was asked to save a file for a client, her instructions were to save for the web at 200% from illustrator." Just doesn't make sense – to me... If it needs to be larger, just scale up the master and save... why the "save for the web at 200% from Illustrator", is what foxes me. <shrug>

Cheers!

S

• 8. Re: How do I save for the web at 200%?
                        enriquevw

I have found these answers very helpful. I never bothered to ask this, and I always scaled my artwork. Thing is, sometimes you are working with different strokes, and just the thing of going and changing wether you want to affect strokes, effects, patterns, seems like an extra step.

Instead if you save for web, and realize it's kinda smaller than what you want, you just go ahead and scale it to your heart's content.

Awesome thread, thanks.