15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2008 6:17 AM by Chunick

    stage problems; web page inserts

    J S 23
      I'm a newbie to Director (Mac OSX/MX20004) and have a few questions/difficulties.

      1) After publishing, contents outside of stage are visible; also, the color of the stage expands to cover the area outside of it, encompassing the entire monitor. How do I keep the contents outside of the stage hidden and keep the color of the stage from going beyond its borders?

      2) can a weblink be in a projector?


      thanks for the help!
        • 1. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
          Level 7
          Open the project and click on the stage somewhere that is not on a
          sprite. In the Property Inspector, on the Display Template tab, there
          is a checkbox for resizable. Unchecking that will make sure that you
          can not stretch the window beyond the stage boundaries.

          While you are there, you may be interested in the Titlebar options. If
          you want to see the titlebar, make sure it is visible... if not, uncheck
          the visible box.

          In File, Publish Settings, on the Projector tab, there is a fullscreen
          checkbox. Uncheck it and the program will play in a normal window as
          opposed to the fullscreen one you are seeing.
          • 2. stage problems; web page inserts
            J S 23 Level 1
            Thanks Mike. Followed your steps which took care of the sprite outside of the stage. it's now invisible; but, the stage color still expands beyond the stage and covers the entire screen. whatever color the stage is, the background is assuming it as well. how do i keep the background color outside of the stage different from that of the stage?
            • 3. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
              Level 7
              J S 23 wrote:
              > the stage color still expands beyond the stage
              > and covers the entire screen. any other adjustments?


              That's the fullscreen thing I mentioned in my post. Uncheck fullscreen
              and it will not fill the screen
              • 4. stage problems; web page inserts
                J S 23 Level 1
                quote:

                Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                J S 23 wrote:
                > the stage color still expands beyond the stage
                > and covers the entire screen. any other adjustments?


                That's the fullscreen thing I mentioned in my post. Uncheck fullscreen
                and it will not fill the screen



                Yeah, it was unchecked from the very start. that's what's been confusing. i've tried it several times, but to no avail. i don't get why it won't turn off the background color. i also tried unchecking "animate in bg," but that doesn't help either.

                don't know if this sheds any light (or just makes it more confusing) but when the preview starts (a quicktime video plays) and i stretch the window, the bg color disappears and becomes white. after the quicktime video plays, the movie moves further down to other frames, and the background color returns but doesn't disappear with resizing of the window.

                • 5. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                  Level 7
                  J S 23 wrote:

                  > Yeah, it was unchecked from the very start. that's what's been confusing.
                  > i've tried it several times, but to no avail. i don't get why it won't turn
                  > off the background color. i also tried unchecking "animate in bg," but that
                  > doesn't help either.

                  Hi,

                  Take a look at this page:
                  http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/publishing/projector.htm

                  It may help explain some of the projector settings.

                  Here's some explanation regarding what your situation

                  File > Publish Settings - Projector tab
                  Full Screen - This fills the projector to your entire monitor area. It does not
                  stretch to fill. If your stage is 800x600 and monitor 1024x768, the 800x600
                  stage will be in the centre (assuming Centred options are selected) and the
                  space around the window making up the remainder of the 1024x768 size will be
                  filled by a solid colour. This solid colour will be the Stage colour. If this
                  option is unselected, you wont have the surrounding area filled, instead you'll
                  see the desktop in the 'overflow' area?

                  Animate in Background - this just means that if you have a projector playing and
                  you then open another application so make give it the focus, the projector will
                  still play. If the option is unchecked, when you switch to another application,
                  the projector will pause.

                  Does that clarify things?

                  Your second question - yes, you can have a weblink from a projector. The link
                  will open the default browser and try open the URL

                  regards
                  Dean

                  Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                  http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                  http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                  email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

                  • 6. stage problems; web page inserts
                    J S 23 Level 1
                    Dean Utian wrote:

                    "Here's some explanation regarding what your situation

                    File > Publish Settings - Projector tab
                    Full Screen - This fills the projector to your entire monitor area. It does not
                    stretch to fill. If your stage is 800x600 and monitor 1024x768, the 800x600
                    stage will be in the centre (assuming Centred options are selected) and the
                    space around the window making up the remainder of the 1024x768 size will be
                    filled by a solid colour. This solid colour will be the Stage colour. If this
                    option is unselected, you wont have the surrounding area filled, instead you'll
                    see the desktop in the 'overflow' area?"


                    thanks Dean - should've also mentioned that I want to have the stage centered in the browser window, but unchecking "full screen," and selecting any other option puts it in the upper left hand corner. these "no-brainer" type operations are taking more of my time than the difficult functions of my project - go figure.
                    • 8. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                      Level 7
                      > thanks Dean - should've also mentioned that I want to have the stage centered
                      > in the browser window, but unchecking "full screen," and selecting any other
                      > option puts it in the upper left hand corner. these "no-brainer" type
                      > operations are taking more of my time than the difficult functions of my
                      > project - go figure.

                      So, have you managed to work it out?

                      If you want the SW to centre in your browser, it's an HTML formatting change.

                      regards
                      Dean

                      Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                      http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                      http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                      email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au


                      • 9. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                        J S 23 Level 1

                        So, have you managed to work it out?

                        If you want the SW to centre in your browser, it's an HTML formatting change.

                        regards
                        Dean

                        Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                        http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                        http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                        email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au





                        Thanks again Dean.
                        Yes, unchecking removes the color from outside the stage, but I'm still confused about centering it in the browser. Is the HTML formatting done in Director or am I placing the .dcr within a web page which contains the HTML?


                        • 10. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                          Level 7
                          If you have the HTML option checked in Publish Settings, then it will
                          spit out a correctly-formatted HTML file with the EMBED tags to play the
                          dcr. Once it does that, you can edit the HTML file (it is just a text
                          file anyway). Add a <center> tag around the bits you need centered (or
                          if you are fluent in CSS, you can do it that way)
                          • 11. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                            Level 7
                            J S 23 wrote:

                            > Yes, unchecking removes the color from outside the stage, but I'm still
                            > confused about centering it in the browser. Is the HTML formatting done in
                            > Director or am I placing the .dcr within a web page which contains the HTML?

                            Director can output an HTML and you can choose from various templated through the
                            Html tab in the Publish settings Dialog box. The default is Shockwave Default.
                            There is one called Center Shockwave, which uses a table I think. I think all
                            templates will make the HTML background colour the colour of your stage. To get
                            full control of the HTML formatting, I'd suggest you open it in Dreamweaver.
                            People who know HTML code could just use a text editor to change the html file.
                            But, Dreamweaver is an easy to use editor that will allow you to set the
                            background colour, centre the DCR and do a range of formats to the page. I'd say
                            you would need to do some formatting to the page anyway as the template fiels
                            Director output are could use tweaking in otehr areas (like page title).

                            regards
                            Dean

                            Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

                            • 12. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                              J S 23 Level 1
                              quote:

                              Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                              J S 23 wrote:

                              > Yes, unchecking removes the color from outside the stage, but I'm still
                              > confused about centering it in the browser. Is the HTML formatting done in
                              > Director or am I placing the .dcr within a web page which contains the HTML?

                              Director can output an HTML and you can choose from various templated through the
                              Html tab in the Publish settings Dialog box. The default is Shockwave Default.
                              There is one called Center Shockwave, which uses a table I think. I think all
                              templates will make the HTML background colour the colour of your stage. To get
                              full control of the HTML formatting, I'd suggest you open it in Dreamweaver.
                              People who know HTML code could just use a text editor to change the html file.
                              But, Dreamweaver is an easy to use editor that will allow you to set the
                              background colour, centre the DCR and do a range of formats to the page. I'd say
                              you would need to do some formatting to the page anyway as the template fiels
                              Director output are could use tweaking in otehr areas (like page title).

                              regards
                              Dean

                              Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                              http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                              email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au





                              Dean (and MIke),

                              I was able to go into the HTML and put a "center" tag. That worked. I am experimenting with Dreamweaver as well and inserted the dcr there too.

                              Is inserting a dxr a safer (more protected) route, if possible?

                              many thanks!
                              • 13. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                                Level 7
                                J S 23 wrote:

                                > Is inserting a dxr a safer (more protected) route, if possible?

                                A DCR is just as safe (protected) as a DXR. The difference is that a DCR is
                                typically a compressed file. Images can have JPG or standard Shockwave compression,
                                sound can compressed to Shockwave Audio... It is best when delivering Director
                                content online to create a DCR.

                                regards
                                Dean

                                Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                                http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                                http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                                email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

                                • 14. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                                  leds2455
                                  Having the screen filled and the stage surrounded by color is a desirable condition. It keeps users from clicking on the desktop and getting off into unknown territory. This is especially true when the users are new to computing and get lost easily. For an 800 x 600 stage, make an 800 x 600 background in something like PhotoShop that is not the stage color, import it, and put it in the first channel so it's under everything else. Your projector will look good.
                                  • 15. Re: stage problems; web page inserts
                                    Chunick Level 3
                                    quote:

                                    Originally posted by: leds2455
                                    Having the screen filled and the stage surrounded by color is a desirable condition. It keeps users from clicking on the desktop and getting off into unknown territory. This is especially true when the users are new to computing and get lost easily. For an 800 x 600 stage, make an 800 x 600 background in something like PhotoShop that is not the stage color, import it, and put it in the first channel so it's under everything else. Your projector will look good.
                                    leds2455,
                                    The OP is creating a shockwave file for the web, not a projector.