6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 10:46 AM by clintonman3

Import animation curve / graph. If possible, how?

Lorenz252525

Hello!

I want to get a animation curve from my 3D program into after effects.

Couldn't find anything about this on the net. Doesn't mean it isn't doable, inevitably.

Thanks for any help.

Lorenz

• 1. Re: Import animation curve / graph. If possible, how?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What 3D program? There is a number of scripts for such tasks on AEnhancers. Beyond that, you will have to be much more specific what you actually plan on doing. Just throwing some generic comment in the ring is not really helping. Depending on the program and what data you want to export, other solutions may apply.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import animation curve / graph. If possible, how?
            Lorenz252525 Level 1

Thank you!

OK, I'm using Houdini, and I have an animation curve for the y-translation of the camera there. That I want to import in AE, for controlling the speed of a timewarp. I know Houdini can export this curve in a few formats(bchan, bclip, chan, clip). It is not necessary, that there is a script that support this formats, I'm willing to invest in a program that can change these into AE-formats, maybe there is a script, too. So it would be nice, if you could tell me more about these scripts, and which format I should use.

• 3. Re: Import animation curve / graph. If possible, how?

I remember some discussion on this going on on AEnhancers, but it seems it was never finished. Since it is a ASCII format, it should be easy to parse a chan file via script, though. I recommend you check the help section on markers and study the scripts linked there. The code is pretty much all there, it just needs to be modified to target keyframes instead of markers and of course you need to make your mind up about scen scale and such. Another solution would obviously be to simply copy&paste the data into excel, format it nicely according to how AE wants it (simply copy&paste soem data from AE to see the correct headers) and paste it into AE. I'm not aware of a built-in solution in Houdini, but of course there may be som script as well that takes away some burdens. For programs like 3DS MAX plug-ins liek Max2AE exist and of course Cinema 4D has had AEC export for ages. So if you have one of those tools at hand, exporting an FBX from Houdini, then opening it inside those tools and export the data, this might also be an option. Several ways to skin the cat...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Import animation curve / graph. If possible, how?
                clintonman3 Level 1

I wrote a commercial plugin for reading the Collada file format into After Effects.  You can try the demo version, but I only have the apprentive version which doesn't export collada, so it's never been tested.

http://www.clintons3d.com/aecollada/index.html

You can also try searching in Adobe Exchange and asking in the SideFX forums.

• 5. Re: Import animation curve / graph. If possible, how?

That is lovely. From your page I gather it works perfectly with Lightwave... Might be worth an investment, when the time comes. I'll definitely include it in my plug-in guide.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Import animation curve / graph. If possible, how?
                    clintonman3 Level 1

Well, almost perfectly with Lightwave.  Lightwave doesn't export the aspect ratio of the camera properly which effects the field of view when imported to After Effects.  I fix that with an After Effects script. Just yesterday I discovered that Lightwave doesn't import the camera fov from Collada properly if the fov is defined vertically.  It reads the value and sets it to the horizontal fov.  That one is fixed by just reading the vertical fov from the camera and type in that value to the horizontal fov.  So not perfect, but the problems can be worked around.  I hope Newtek fixes these little bugs.