17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2012 3:47 PM by Steve Grisetti

How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?

GJM1976

I have a basic problem with Elements Organizer 8 and I'm really hoping someone can help me...

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate on an Alienware Dimension AURORA_ALX (i7 975 @ 3.33Ghz) with 9Gb RAM.  I've installed Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8.  I've then transferred video clips from my Sony HDR-SR12E and now want to manage them effectively using Premiere Elements 8.  The problem I'm having is that Elements Organizer 8 isn't showing any thumbnails for the video clips I've imported (I don't have the same problem with photo files - the thumbnails for these display correctly).  Windows 7 has no difficulty with showing the thumbnails when I open the folder containing the video clips, so this appears to be an issue with the Adobe software I'm using.

I've looked through the manual and other online resources - no joy.

I've attached a file (Capture.jpg) that hopefully illustrates my problem.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
          nealeh Level 5

GJM1976 wrote:

The problem I'm having is that Elements Organizer 8 isn't showing any thumbnails for the video clips I've imported

Go into the Organizer from Photoshop Elements. Right-click one of the videos and  select 'Update Thumbnail'. Does that fix it?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
            GJM1976 Level 1

Thanks Neale.

I've tried your suggestion, but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem.

The publication "Using Adobe Premiere Elements 8 Editor" says:

The Organize workspace displays thumbnails of all the media (videos, still images, and audio) that you’ve imported into Adobe Photoshop® Elements®, or Adobe Premiere Elements. You can access and share all the files in the Organizer seamlessly between the applications.

Given this reassuring statement from Adobe, I really would have thought that my video thumbnails (presumably the first frame of each video clip) should display automatically.

Does the fact that I'm using high-definition videos make any difference?  Am I missing something obvious?

Edit: I've just come across this thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2300459#2300459) which indicates that others have been experiencing exactly the same problem.

• 3. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
              kirkfrey

I am having the same issue with my AVCHD files.  No image in the organizer.  Funny that "Windows" is able to look at the files and show the first frame image but Organizer is not able to...

• 4. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                nealeh Level 5

Try the workaround I described in http://forums.adobe.com/message/2386508#2386508.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                  GJM1976 Level 1

Hi Neale

I've tried implementing your workaround in Premiere Elements 8, but it doesn't appear to resolve the issue.  I say "doesn't appear to" as I'm new to digital video editing - I really don't think I'm technically incompetent though!

Let's try a step-by-step analysis...

Your steps were:

1. Create a new project (you won't be saving this project so just accept all the defaults).
                  2. Add the clip to your project.
                  3. In Edit> Project you will see your clip.
                  4. Right-click the clip and choose 'open in clip monitor'.
                  5. Navigate to the frame you want for the thumbnail.
                  6. Click 'Set In'.
                  7. Switch to the Organize task.
                  8. Right-Click the thumbnail.
                  9. Click Update.
                  10. Voila - there is your new thumbnail (almost!). The thumbnail used will be one from near the frame you selected in step 6. I'm guessing it uses the nearest keyframe from your selection. If it is not one you want go back to step 5 and change the 'Set In' frame to fine tune the thumbnail. Keep doing this until you obtain a satisfactory thumbnail.
                  11. Close the project you created in Step 1. No need to save the project.

My experience was rather different:

• Steps 1-2 work.
                  • Step 3 is slightly different in PE8: it's Organize>Project - not Edit>Project.  Clicking Organize>Project changes the thumbnail from a generic film strip to the first frame.
                  • Steps 4-6 work.
                  • Step 7 doesn't work: I'm already in the Organize task (not the Edit task as in PE7).  Clicking on Organize>Media or Organize>Organizer changes the thumbnail back to the generic film strip.
                  • Steps 8-9 don't work: clicking Update doesn't change the thumbnail from the generic film strip to anything else.
                  • The result, obviously, is that steps 10-11 don't work.

It seems to me that things go awry at step 3; step 7 is a follow-on issue.

Was your workaround actually necessary for PE7 users wanting thumbnails for AVCHD clips?  If so, I'm amazed that Adobe haven't bothered to fix the issue before releaseing PE8, as this really seems like such a basic issue.  It's really bugging me because without thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8 it's harder to sort through my clips.

• 6. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                    nealeh Level 5

GJM1976 wrote:

Hi Neale

I've tried implementing your workaround in Premiere Elements 8, but it doesn't appear to resolve the issue.

<snip>

It seems to me that things go awry at step 3...

I have no further suggestions. But you have answered my question as to whether or not my workaround worked in PRE8.

GJM1976 wrote:

Was your workaround actually necessary for PE7 users wanting thumbnails for AVCHD clips?  If so, I'm amazed that Adobe haven't bothered to fix the issue before releaseing PE8, as this really seems like such a basic issue.  It's really bugging me because without thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8 it's harder to sort through my clips

My workaround was a reply to a poster whose clips showed up as 'black frame' in PRE7 Organizer. This was because the first frames of the clips were black. It is a different circumstance to yours as your clips don't even show frames at all, just a generic icon.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                      Barb__O Level 4

GJM1976,

the forum "just" ate my post so I will try again. 

There have been posts in other threads that the codecs must by ACTIVATED before they can be used by the Elements Organizer.  It seems that the codec activation must actually be done from within certain functions of Premeire Elements.

So I suggest that you add one of your AVCHD format video clips to the Timeline of Premiere Elements  and then playback the Timeline in the Monitor Panel of Premiere Elements.

Next go to the Organizer workspace and remove that video file from the Organizer catalog but do NOT delete it from the hard drive.  Then import that same video to the Organizer again: does that give an image within the thumbnail?
                      • 8. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        the forum "just" ate my post so I will try again.

Barb,

There has been a lot of that going around, since the forum maintenance on Monday night. At least you're still Barb__O. Many people got new screen names and their email info looked like this: ls0sj8gwllslteo

I would never have thought about the Activation aspect. When I got PrE 4, I had read many posts on previous versions and how one had to fill in a dialog box, when each aspect was Activated. Nothing like that was happening with my PrE 4, and Steve explained that it was all automatic, when each aspect was needed and called. Had not thought about that in some years.

Thanks for refreshing my memory,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                          Barb__O Level 4

Hi Hunt,

My expereince has been that In the last few versions of Premiere Elements, the codec activation has been done automatically without the need for human intervention.

However, in version 8 with the "common" Elements Organizer, there does seem to be some question on how codecs (and specifically the Main Concept AVCHD codecs) used by Adobe are activated for use by functions that execute within the separate Elements Organizer work space.

Barb

• 10. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb__O,

Thank you for that info. As I don't have PrE 8, I am totally unfamiliar with how it might work.

Learning each day,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                              Barb__O Level 4

Hunt,

Currently I have Photoshop Elements 8 installed, which does also have the Elements Organizer 8.  There are some different and some similar considerations when Premiere Elements 8 is installed, so I do converse with others who have Premiere Elements 8 when I offer suggestions to people having trouble with the thumbnails in the Elements Organizer 8.

I view this as an active investigation into why a particular system may or may not show thumnbnails for AVCHD files in the Elements Organizer 8.

• 12. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                                GJM1976 Level 1

Hi guys

I have to confess that I'm completely new to Premiere Elements.

Thank you very much for your technical input everyone - this is much appreciated.

Barb__O, I tried to follow your suggestion, and I'm pretty sure I got the steps right, but I still didn't have any luck.  Perhaps I went wrong somewhere?

Also, based on the decent hardware specs I listed above, should I be expecting my computer to chomp through the auto-analyse stage?  I know it's AVCHD footage but the process still seems to take forever.

• 13. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                                  Barb__O Level 4

Barb__O, I tried to follow your suggestion, and I'm pretty sure I got the steps right, but I still didn't have any luck.  Perhaps I went wrong somewhere?

You might not have done anything wrong because others have also had problems with the thumbnails.  I will keep investigating.

• 14. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                                    KhongSaoDau

Organizer 7 didn't display video thumbnails for most  mpeg file types either.  Its business as usual for Organizer 8. The two versions are so consistent in what they will and will not thumbnail that it's got to be by design (licensing issue?) .  It makes the package all but useless for video file management unless you are only dealing with the type of video that comes off still cameras like .mov or .avi files. 

It gets crazier after your scene split - a video that had a thumbnail when it was whole does not necessarily have a thumbnail for each scene.  Scene splitting is fairly useless without the thumbnails, and organizer is fairly useless as a video manager without scene splitting.  Before this package is ready for video, there will also need to be options to split your scenes manually and to specify a thumbnail frame that is not the first frame.

Can't think of a good reason to "upgrade" from 7.

• 15. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                                      sundeep yadav Level 1

Hi All,

If the issue is still there i would like to share this with you it worked for me

if the file extension is MTS then change the file extension to M2TS or vice versa and see if that works for you.

Kind Regards

Sundeep Yadav

• 16. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                                        RobertRealtor Level 1

I have no plan to mess with more file extensions. I have reinstalled the complete premiere 10 and photoshop elements 10 twice and so far the organiser part of the software is useless. Video clips downloaded ot a regular file play their thumbnails and I plan to simply relabel the clips and import directly from the file to premiere and give yhe whole organiser a big F.

I also have no idea why the premeire team thinks organizer needed.. It would be nice if it worked right out of the box as advertised and iPhoto, which does the same thing fore iMovie, only iPhoto  actually works.  Perhaps someone from Adobe could give me/us a file path to follow to correct this failure to launch.

Thanks

Robert

• 17. Re: How to display video thumbnails in Elements Organizer 8?
                                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To contact Adobe, click the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of this web page.

Adobe techs rarely make appearances on this forum. It's mostly a peer-to-peer forum.