5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 3:41 AM by Tim Clark ih

No Avi audio symbol on timeline

Tim Clark ih Level 1

Hello, I've done a search for this so excuse me if I have overlooked a previous answer.

In AE CS4 on Windows an avi clip with audio imports with it's audio but the audio symbol does not come on once in the time line. It's like it cannot see the codec, maybe, but playing the avi from the project window the audio plays ok.

Using the same clip in AE CS4 on Mac Os X is fine. There seem to be a ton of audio hardware settings which I may have to look at. I usually use AE on Mac so I'm not too familiar with Windows specific preferences.

Thank you in advance

Tim

• 1. Re: No Avi audio symbol on timeline
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, do other files play correctly from the timeline? If so, that would indicate that the audio stream uses an unsupported CoDec, which still would function when playing the file using the system's routines, but not when AE needs to decode the audio buffer... Anotehr common reason for such behavior is the audio being multiplexed in obscure ways on compressed files or the channel assigments not pointing to the first two (stereo) channels. On the hardware end, it would be hard to advise, but a screenshot of your current audio hardware prefs (attach it using the camera icon) should certainly clarify things. also try to provide the exact details of your AVI file e.g. by probing it with GSpot and similar tools. If all else fails, consider separating audio and video, which on Windows can be done easily using VirtualDub.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: No Avi audio symbol on timeline
            Tim Clark ih Level 1

Thank you, I'll look when I'm at work tomorrow. I know the file originated in an Avid domain. I think others sound files have been ok.

• 3. Re: No Avi audio symbol on timeline
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ah, I see. In that case, it may not have been mixed down correctly and contain unnecessary empty channels or it may point to the origianl source OMF files... Well, let's see what your investigation turns up.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: No Avi audio symbol on timeline
                Tim Clark ih Level 1

Hello again.

Ok,I need to process a small clip in it's natural WRAW format (don't know what that is). Our IT thinks it may be a user permission problem as it only happens on one account. This would be odd as we don't change our audio settings.

Thank you for your time. I'll hopefully post tomorrow.

Tim

• 5. Re: No Avi audio symbol on timeline
                  Tim Clark ih Level 1

found the answer..... it was a Windows cahe problem, (some users had this unchecked) wasn't linking to the main AE folder in Prefs.... Conformed Media Cache.... choose folder....link this to the AE folder on the local drive

Thanks anyway

Tim