9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2009 10:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help

Jake1123

I have an odd problem. I've been using Premiere Pro for a while now, with no problems whatsoever. I have used Adobe Media Encoder to render my projects and haven't experienced anything odd until this morning. I was working on a project that's taken me a few weeks and I tried to render it out so that I could watch it, and I got the following error: "Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted."

I obviously did NOT move or delete the source, I quit the encoder and got out of the project and started again, but to no avail. I restarted my computer, same problem. I looked up the problem (because so many people post on the forums instead of just googling), and I found two solutions - one said that the problem can be caused if I had Premiere CS3 installed and didn't uninstall it before installing CS4. I never had CS3 installed, so that's definitely not the problem. A second solution asked me to put a shortcut named Premiere in a certain folder, and I did that but it didn't help either.

I became so frustrated that I uninstalled the entire Master Collection, ran CCleaner, the CS4 Clean Script, and the CS3 Clean Script (I never had CS3, but just in case the Premiere CS3 thing was the problem somehow). I then reinstalled the Master Collection, and the problem is STILL HERE!

Now for the really odd part - my other projects still render. While I was searching for answers I found that the people the above solutions worked for couldn't render anything, but I can. I'm wondering if there are any file-specifc things that could prevent it from being rendered, maybe it's corrupted or something. However, when I open it it runs just fine, I can watch the entire video playback within Premiere and edit things. Only exporting this one project doesn't work.

I'm running Windows 7x64, 4gb RAM, 2.66ghz quad core. I don't think that information should matter much because other things render, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I'm desperate for some help!

• 1. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
          Kona Bob Level 2

I've never had that exact problem, but I would be suspicious that there might be something funky with the project file.

I would try making a small change in the timeline, save the project, try export again.

Or, open one of the autosave versions of the project & see if that will export.

Also, read this post here for some other ideas: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/524309?tstart=0

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
            Jake1123 Level 1

I've tried that, I can edit the timeline just fine but nothing I do gets it to render. Other things I've tried include only trying to render a small portion of the timeline, and making a new project and importing the entire other project (I thought maybe one of the files used in the project was corrupted, so I thought maybe trying to import everything would give me an error with importing whatever is corrupt. No such luck, it worked fine.)

There is some hope though, I've found two ways to render it based on suggestions from others in other forums on rendering issues - one is to open After Effects, import the Premiere timeline, then render the AE composition because it uses the built-in renderer and not the Media Encoder. A second and slightly mind boggling way is, instead of exporting from Premiere into the Encoder, I can exit everything, open Media Encoder, click File -> Add Premiere Timeline, then navigate to the file and add the timeline to my render queue. When I do it through ME and not Premiere, it renders perfectly. I've already sent that render off to my client with a big thumbs up...but I'm very confused.

I've found a solution for this one, but is there anything I can do differently for next time? It can't be something with the project file if it does actually render...right? Sigh that's 2 hours wasted uninstalling and reinstalling the whole suite

• 3. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I've found a solution for this one, but is there anything I can do differently for next time? It can't be something with the project file if it does actually render...right?

If you want to track this down, you'll probably have to positively identify what you did differently in this project (from day one) compared to what you did in your other projects that render from Pr.  At least you have a workaround if it happens again.

AME and Pr look at a project file differently.  If the project is corrupted in some small way it could affect Pr, which has to load and use the entire project, and not affect the AME.  Ditto for importing the Pr project into AE.  AE in particular ignores a lot of stuff in a Pr project.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
                Jake1123 Level 1

Hmmm, I see. Is there anything I could have done that corrupted it in that small way? Is there anything I can do to prevent it in the future? On this particular project taking an extra few steps to render is fine, but I'd really like it to be back to normal for my next project and I'm not sure how to prevent this from happening again.

• 5. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Is there anything I could have done that corrupted it in that small way? Is there anything I can do to prevent it in the future?

There's no way to know that unless you can pin down what you did differently in this project.  And that's an almost impossible task unless you were experimenting deliberately with a new workflow for this project, or using new hardware or software in the production pipeline.

I'd give 60/40 odds that this was an accident, and that you'll be just fine in future projects.  Place your bets, everyone!

-Jeff

DISCLAIMER: Gambling is against the law in many jurisdictions, and is almost certainly against Adobe forum rules in some way.  No real or personal property can change hands during this event.  However, I will turn a blind eye if anyone wants to wager the beer in the Lounge fridge or the popcorn that's next to the Lounge microwave.

• 6. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
                    fuaho Level 1

@Jake1123:

A quick check that may be helpful:

Open your project. Make the sequence active. Select everything in the timeline and copy it with ctrl-C or cmd-C.

In the same project, create a new sequence (File\New\Sequence) with the appropriate settings and ctrl-V or cmd-V to paste the timeline into the sequence.

Now try to render\export etc.

HTH,

• 7. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
                      Jake1123 Level 1

I tried that, it worked fine! I pasted everything into a new sequence, and again I couldn't export to AME, but I could open AME and import the sequence and render it just fine. Like I said before, I also tried making a new Premiere project entirely and importing the project, I was thinking that if Premiere didn't like something in the file it wouldn't import it. It works fine! I've also gone through about half of my media assets just to watch the footage or open the pictures to make sure there's nothing wrong with them, but because it does actually render when I open it through AME, I don't think I'm going to find a problem.

Thanks for your help everyone!

• 8. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I experienced this issue for the first time last night with a completed and delivered project that I wanted to tweak a little after the fact.  What I found was that Premiere was somehow corrupting the file every time I saved it.  I would open an Auto Save version without issue, I would go to Save As... in the main project folder, or even Save A Copy, but none of the saved projects would thereafter open in Premiere.  It kept getting stuck about 75% through.  Since AME uses a 'saved' copy of the actual project file to read from, thus allowing work to continue on the actual project, it could simply not read from the now corrupted file.  I did not try opening the sequence through AME, but that would likely not work in my case because the only version I can open is older.  I would still need to make the changes, and that would require another Save.

I don't know why the simple act of saving would cause project corruption.  But this explains both the issue in this thread, and the one about people not being able to open their projects after but a single save.

• 9. Re: Export Issue - Adobe's Solutions Don't Help
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I wonder if there is something that can be found (perhaps repaired?) with XML Wrench. This PrPro-Wiki entry covers that, plus some other steps when dealing with a corrupt Project file.

There have been a few similar reports in the forum of Save not working 100%. One user, IIRC, WAS able to get things done correctly by using Save_As and incrementing the file name.

Just thinking here, and good luck to all.

Hunt