12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 8:25 PM by the_wine_snob

adobe premiere elements serious msg appears

Sbbrown3333 Level 1

Everytime i click in to start the programme adobe premeire elements it comes up with this message : Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project." Can someone please help !

• 1. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It is very difficult to help without more information.

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

What version of the program are you using?

What operating system are you using, and have you ensured that you have the latest updates by manually going to Windows Update and downloading even the non-critical updates?

• 2. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

While you are gathering up the info that Steve has asked for, info that will be important to aid others to help you better, here is something to start with. This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Next, the article linked from HERE was written for PrPro, PrE's big-brother, but there are many troubleshooting tips that will help with PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Last, this ARTICLE will give you tips on gathering clues as to what is happening, when the program shuts down. There is almost always a trail of clues, and one has to poke though them to find ones that can help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                  Sbbrown3333 Level 1

AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3500+

2.20 GHz, 448MB Of ram.

Used : 55.4 GB

Free  : 93.5 GB

I am using the Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0

I am using XP and i have ensured that the latest updates are done.

• 6. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

First, it appears that the RAM is at the bare minimum, if even that. How much RAM can your MoBo and your BIOS take? With XP, I would fill that up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                      Sbbrown3333 Level 1

Im not sure if this is the information you need, but this is what i found.

• Maximum Memory Capacity:  4194304 MB
                    • Currently Installed Memory:  512 MB
                    • Available Memory Slots:  3
                    •  

• Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
                      Motherboard Model: NODUSM3
                    • Manufacturer & Model:Compaq Presario SR5002HM
                      Maximum Capacity:2.0 GB
                      Total Memory Slots:4

Memory Slot 1:512 MB

• 8. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like you have 4 slots, that will handle 512MB each for a total of 2GB. The first thing that I would do is look to populate those additional three slots. Note: you MUST match all RAM sticks. Now, there are several ways to find out exactly what your existing stick is. The manual for your MoBo might tell you the exact specs, but actually pulling that RAM stick and copying every bit of printing on it will be better. You can go to Cruical and let their utility test your existing RAM. It will then give you recommendations on what to add.

Now, if your RAM is older, it might be better to get the specs. that are required for your MoBo and just buy either 2 - 1GB sticks (matching), or 4 - new 512MB sticks. When installed, you will want to run Setup for your BIOS. If your computer displays a POST (Power On Self Test) screen, there will be a keystroke to launch Setup from the POST screen, before the OS begins to load. Otherwise, the manual should tell you that keystroke. It is often just the Del key, but can differ by BIOS mfgr. Sometimes, it is tricky to hit the right key, at the right time, especially if your POST does not display. When I get a new computer, the very first thing that I do is go into the BIOS and run Setup, setting the POST to display. I want to see everything that it tests and checks, as one can often see problems, before they arise.

While 2GB of RAM is not that much nowadays, it is FAR better, than 512MB, which is at the bare-bones minimum, just to run most OS's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                          Sbbrown3333 Level 1

ok thankyou ! But on the box it says it only needs 512MB to run adobe premiere elements ? but on the screen it appears with a message saying " A serious problem has occured" Would more ram help this problem ?

• 10. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, most "minimum requirements" only relate to being able to load and launch the programs - not actually use those. I feel that ALL of the minimum requirements should be upped, and by a great deal. I feel that they are a disservice to purchasers. This is not aimed at Adobe, but at ALL software companies. Remember, that is just my personal feeling, and I only speak for myself.

We I hired to write the specs. for either Adobe Video-editing program, I would probably more than double everything, and add a second min. requirement just for editing AVCHD material. Yes, that would scare off many sales, but would let all, who do buy, know what they would need for a satisfactory editing experience. Maybe that's why no software marketing departments have called?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - it's kinda' like my wife's high-performance touring sedan. It will start and probably run on 87 octane fuel, though maybe not well, and maybe not for long. If she uses 89 octane fuel, it will run better, and probably longer. If she goes to 91 octane, she gets a wonderful experience. Now, in her case, the manual and brochures tell her to use the 91 octane! That's a big difference in my book.

• 11. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                              Sbbrown3333 Level 1

Thank-you so much for your help. I will remember that next time i buy software.

Many Thanks !!!

• 12. Re: adobe premiere elements serious msg appears
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not expect any other software to list realistic, and full minimum requirements. I doubt that this has happened since the 1980's.

Still, if one goes to the product fora, and they are half as good as Adobe's, they should get realistic responses, that apply to real-world usage of the software.

Good luck,

Hunt