8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 9:18 AM by dm_devotee

disable button in current state

dm_devotee

hi everybody,

i'm new to catalyst, so my question may probably seem stupid ;-)

i've build a little website in PS CS4 an try to bring it to live in catalyst. my problem is the folloing:

how can i disable a button in a selected state?

i can configure the look when it's disabled, but can't find an option to disable the button.

for example when i've clicked the "links"-button, it should be disabled (and look in a special way) until i choose another state and leave the "links-state".

thanks

• 1. Re: disable button in current state
          Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey dm!

Definitely not a stupid question.

Just to make sure, the desired behaviour you would like as is follows:

1) Click the links button

2) The links button becomes disabled

To set the disabled state of a button when you're in particular state, you want to use the interactions + action sequences.

1) Select your links button

2) In the interactions panel (right hand side of catalyst, in the middle), click the Add Interaction button.

3) Kepp the 'On click' part as is, and change the 'Play Transition to State' field to 'Play Action Sequence'

4) In the Timelines Panel (bottom of Catalyst), you will see State Transitions and Action Sequences listed on the left hand side.

5) Click 'Add Action', followed by 'Set Property'.  We want to set the 'enabled' property to be disabled.

6) On the right hand side, in the properties panel, you will now see a field called "Property:".

7) From the combobox, select 'enabled', and set the value to false (a new empty combobox will appear to the right).

8) Run your project.  Now when you click on your button, it will set the button as disabled (and will display the button however you customized in the button's disabled state).

Becoming comfortable with these panels will help you take full advantage of Catalyst.

Please try out these steps and let me know how you make out!
          Thanks,

Tara

• 2. Re: disable button in current state
            dm_devotee Level 1

hi tara,

thanks a lot for your excellent 'how to'!

unfortounatly it doesn't work as desired! the button is disabled in the selected state, but it looks not as it should do.( it's not a 'build in'-button, i'm using a custom graphic with grouped layers)

this is the button i have to klick to switch to the state it is disabled in, only when i click on it a second time it changes the appearence.

next thing is, after switching to another state the button should be enabled again. but doing this in the way you described and selecting "play action sequence" - "when in any state" the button is not disabled in the state it switches to anymore!

damn, i hope you understand what mean, not so easy to describe. ;-)

by the way i didn't excpeted it to be that difficult! i thought i just missed a switch to dissable the button in a state and it's done. would be a nice feature in a future version of catalyst! :-)

thanks again so far, any further ideas?

dm_devotee

• 3. Re: disable button in current state
              Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey dm,

Without seeing the layout of the fxp/how the custom button is configured, it's sometimes hard to provide the right steps!

Hopefull this post will clarify my last a little.

With respect to changing the state of the button when you switch states, this is in fact as easy as checking a checkbox in the properties panel.

1) Navigate to the state in which you would like the button disabled(or enabled).

2) In the properties panel, under the Common section, see the 'Enabled' checkbox

3) Check it to make the button enabled (in the normal state) in this state. Uncheck it to make it disabled in this state.

To make sure you have the right look, double click on the button.  You should now see four different states, one of which is the 'Disabled' state.

Check to ensure the button looks as desired in the Disabled state.

Using this strategy, of navigating to a state, and setting the enabled property in the Properties Panel, do you achieve the look you're after?

I'm still sort of unclear on the button click/not seeing the disabled look?

Maybe what you're looking for, is to add an interaction to the button, such that 'On Click', to go from one particular state, to another second particular state?  Whereby in the second state the button is disabled?

If you could clarify that would be great?

Or, if you feel comfortable you could post/email me your fxp so I can gauge the best approach.

Let me know how this works out for you, and if the enabled checkbox is indeed what you've been looking for.

Tara

• 4. Re: disable button in current state
                dm_devotee Level 1

hi tara,

i'm so stupid! and so sorry for my bad description of what i meant!

of course it's that simple as you posted:

1) Navigate to the state in which you would like the button disabled(or enabled).

2) In the properties panel, under the Common section, see the 'Enabled' checkbox

3) Check it to make the button enabled (in the normal state) in this state. Uncheck it to make it disabled in this state.

this does exactly what i want and the button looks as it should!

if you like i send you the link to my little website when i finished it.

best wishes from germany

dm_devotee

• 5. Re: disable button in current state
                  Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey dm,

So glad this worked out for you.

And I would absolutely love to see the site when it's up, don't forget to send me the link!

Thanks again for posting, I'm positive people will be looking to solve this very issue.

Tara

• 6. Re: disable button in current state
                    dm_devotee Level 1

hi tara,

after testing and testing and... (the little things almost killed me) it's finaly done!

so if you like take a look at www.thomaszehm.de and let me know what you think about it.

it's not a milestone in design, i know , but on my old html-page it was a real p..n in the a.. to change something in the galerys. now i've build them with lightroom, couldn't be easier!

thanks again for your help getting it right.

ciao

dm_devotee

• 7. Re: disable button in current state
                      Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey dm,

Love the site.

And I completely see what you were trying to explain to me previously about the disabled buttons in certain states, I'm glad it worked out for you!

Looks great, thanks for posting the link, I really appreciate it.

Just a couple questions:

1) What were the major pain points (if any?)?

2) Any functionality/features missing which would have made building the site easier?

3) What were some of the highlights of using the product?

Thanks again, we love seeing completed Catalyst projects, keep posting them.

Tara

• 8. Re: disable button in current state
                        dm_devotee Level 1

hi tara,

thanks for visiting my site.

to answer your questions:
                        1.     - catalyst is quite slow, even on my mac pro.
                        - sometimes It seemed to me catalyst adds transitions/fades on its own. for example I added a transition from one state to another and suddenly there was a "fade out" for a button I did not applied.
                        - another problem is still unsolved, you can see the behavior on my site: the transitions from “Kontakt” and “Impressum” to other states are done with a smooth “fade out”. I tried to apply this for the “Links”-state as well, but it didn’t worked.
                        so I added "fade outs" for each button (canon, apple, …) when leaving the “Links”-state. the "fade outs" for the buttons work, but the buttons are completely gone! if you like, I can send you the project to test it.
                        2.     - a further option at “add interaction” “mail to:” incl. subject and
                        - the possibility to choose ocal files with “go to url”
                        3. some months ago I downloaded and tested flash cs4. for my purpose it’s too complex and it would have take a multiple of the time to build my site. I like the approach of catalyst. once I understood the idea behind it, it was easy to work with. it’s the perfect tool for a photographer/photoshop user to create a flash-site (without the need to know how flash works)!
                        I hope the final version will not be as expensive as flash cs4. ;-)

dm_devotee