3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 10:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Apple TV and 5.1 audio from PPro 4.2

TomPerrone

Has anyone been able to get 5.1 audio working when Encoding for the Apple TV?

I have no problem exporting 2 channel audio at the 960x540x30p or 1280x720x24p but would love know how to get 5.1 audio working. The ATV supports it.

Anyone have any pointers/links?

Thanks in advance

Tom

• 1. Re: Apple TV and 5.1 audio from PPro 4.2
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

A couple of thoughts:

To Export as DD 5.1 SS from PrPro (after 3 free trials), one needs to buy and install the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder to get 5.1 SS in an AC3 wrapper.

Do you have that?

Not knowing Apple TV, what formats do they accept? Do they want a muxed file, with DD 5.1 SS AC3 encoding? Which formats?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Apple TV and 5.1 audio from PPro 4.2
            TomPerrone Level 1

There's some good general info here....

What I'm trying to find out is how to mux/encode the video and audio to get the ATV to play it.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/147048D8-D8B7-45E7-9A97-3CD5B4C2B75A.html

Am I to infer from your post above that 5.1 audio on PPro CS4 (4.2)... I have the Creative Collection edition is "trial ware" only?

As you can tell, this is my first attempt at 5.1 sound

Tom

• 3. Re: Apple TV and 5.1 audio from PPro 4.2
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Thank you for the info on Apple TV. I have to admit that I had never heard of it before.

Am I to infer from your post above that 5.1 audio on PPro CS4 (4.2)... I have the Creative Collection edition is "trial ware" only?

That is correct. PrPro ships with the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in encoder, but it is limited to 3 uses (unless that has changed). Once one has used it those initial 3 times, one cannot use it again. If they choose the DD 5.1 SS AC3 Export, they will be prompted to buy the plug-in. [Note: if one wishes to purchase the plug-in, Minnetonka, the distributor of the SurCode plug-in, offers a deal for Adobe users. It is available from the pop-up screen within PrPro. This will save money over going directly to Minnetonka Audio. Buy from within PrPro.] Also note that this IS a plug-in and all encoding can be done directly from within PrPro, unlike the two multi-channel types below.

Now, both DTS and Pro Logic II are also available from Minnetonka Audio. They are separate encoders and are only available (now) as stand-alone programs. One can Export from PrPro, and then Import the Audio files into these programs, for full DTS, or Dolby Pro Logic II compliant files.

Good luck,

Hunt