3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 10:01 AM by Newsgroup_User

Change webpage from 800x600 to 1024x768

P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
      I've noticed recently more websites created for the 1024x768 resolution. Would it be wise to use this size as a standard now. I know many people still use 800x600, but notice a lot of the newer desktop computers sold today use 1024x768. I'd figure that I would ask the experts in this forum on their advice. Thanks for your time.
        • 1. Re: Change webpage from 800x600 to 1024x768
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional
          It depends on your audience. Run some analytics on your site and see what comes up. If you need a tool to run, Google Analytics is fairly good and free. I would say if you are getting 75% or more with a resolution of 1024x768 and you have not switched, it is time. And when you run the analytics you will be surprised at how varied this type of thing gets because with LCD it tends to depend on the monitor capabilities and many monitors are changing to the widescreen 16:9 or 16:10 format.

To compare, my site gets about 70% of its hits from widescreen resolutions (be it 16:9 or 16:10). And 800x600 comes up 2.84% of the time. But then this site is dedicated to gaming and typical gamers have higher end video adapters and displays so this is reflective of the audience.
          • 2. Re: Change webpage from 800x600 to 1024x768
            Level 7
            .oO(SnakEyez02)

>It depends on your audience. Run some analytics on your site and see what
            >comes up. If you need a tool to run, Google Analytics is fairly good and free.
            > I would say if you are getting 75% or more with a resolution of 1024x768 and
            >you have not switched, it is time.

Remember that screen resolution is absolutely meaningless. What matters
            is the size of the browser's viewport, but no stat I know shows that,
            even though it could be determined with JavaScript.

Usually the best recommendation is not to aim for a particular "target
            size", but to keep the layout flexible. This will _always_ accommodate
            best to varying client environments.

Micha
            • 3. Re: Change webpage from 800x600 to 1024x768
              Level 7
              > I would say if you are getting 75% or more with a resolution of 1024x768
              > and
              > you have not switched, it is time.

Screen resolution doesn't tell you much about the browser viewport size.

-Darrel