9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 5:21 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up

jerseybrewing

I just bought the program and installed, updated my system with all necessary patches.

My PC is more than powerful enough to run this.

Every time I try selecting multiple media (video files) it shows 5% loaded then hangs.  I figured it was just taking time.  Well 30 mins later it wasnt moving and I figured it wasnt due to the number of files or size.  It was only 6 videos and all were less than 30mb each.

Anyone have an idea on what could be happening?

I am using windows xp with SP3.

Thanks

JB

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
          jerseybrewing Level 1

Some more info, if I try to load more than 2 videos, i get a "the importer reported a generic error" on the 3rd, seems pretty limited if I have to go and do a max of 2 video imports at a time.  Is this typical?  If so I am returning it tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
            the_wine_snob Level 9

JB,

Welcome to the forum.

First, please tell us all about your source AV footate. The more detail the better.

Next, please tell us about your Project Preset, when you chose New Project.

Last, and just for grins, please tell us about your system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
              jerseybrewing Level 1

What is a footate?

The files are mpeg4

I run xp pro SP3

intel core 2 duo

3ghz

4gb ram

No viruses, nothing running in the background to slow it down   I consider myself an advanced PC person.  PE8 runs pretty slowly in general, not sure if that is inherant in the program.

Project is NTSC DV standard

One other annoyance, once you import new media, the existing media disappears until you hit the toggle to show all again.  Not sure if I can change a setting, hoping to learn more on the website since the manual is nonexistant.   Thanks for the quick response!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are dozens of types of MPEG4s -- most of which are not compatible with this program, jersey.

What type of camcorder did this video come from?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  What is a footate?

A typo!

That should have been footage. Sorry about that. This is the source media that you are Importing.

Maybe if I could learn to type, my questions would not be so cryptic.

Mea culpa, mea culpa,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The files are mpeg4

As Steve points out, "MPEG4" is but a "wrapper," and can contain a lot of different stuff.

G-Spot can tell you a lot about this footage, or hitting Ctrl+I in QT (note: Ctrl+J in QT Pro). Also, the camera's manual should give you more details.

This ARTICLE will explain a bit more about "wrappers." Most common AV file types are just "wrappers," and each can contain all sorts of CODEC's. The file extension tells one very little about what is inside.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
                      jerseybrewing Level 1

A few files were ripped from youtube using flashgot, not sure if this helps from gspot.  Is there a way to convert to a format that PE8 likes?  I am not worried if the program is free or $$, just want something that works and doesnt require 3 conversions to get where I need it

THanks

mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
                      - isom: MP4  Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
                      - avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]
                      Recommended Display Size: 480 x 360
                      Created:     2008 Oct 17   00:56:32
                      Modified:     2008 Oct 17   00:56:32

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Editing video ripped from YouTube is a challenge all its own, jersey, and I can't guarantee you can do it in Premiere Elements without a conversion or two.

Maybe Hunt can offer some advice based on the video specs you've posted.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 loading media locks up
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Other than watching something on YouTube that was linked from the Adobe, or Muvipix forum, I have zero experience with it, or its files.

For FLV (common Web display format), I use Moyea's FLV Importer for Premiere. It works well in PrPro 2.0, but I've never used it in PrE, so cannot comment. I know that it does not yet work in PrPro CS4, but an update is in the works.

Moyea does all sorts of editors, and Importers for Web-base media. They might have something that will work in PrE 8.

As these are highly compressed, often cropped, delivery formats, I try to stay as far from them, as I can. They are not intended to be edited and are not good candidates for many reasons.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help,

Hunt