3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Is PE7 better?

Time Vampire

I recently spent quite a bit of time capturing some DV video from some old 8mm tapes.  I downloaded the PE8 trial to see if it might help put together more professional looking movies.  It's pretty obvious from what I see in this forum that I picked the wrong version to evaluate.  I can't believe the wasted hours I've spent with PE8 on three modern machines (P4,Duo Core,Quad Core) with three different operating systems (XP,Vista,7).  I understand that to get the attention of Adobe you must file a bug, but where to you start?  Maybe a worlds worst application performance bug?  Maybe a bug about how it suddenly stops responding between poor performances?  Maybe a bug about how it hangs when conforming just about any file?  Maybe a bug about how the auto-analyzer hangs when processing any MP4 file?  As a developer it's been a long time since I've seen an application that was such a total failure.

So here's my question.  Was PE7 any good?  It looks like it's still available at some of the online retailers.

• 1. Re: Is PE7 better?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 8 definitely puts a lot more demand on resources, Vamp. But every version demands a quality, well built, well tuned system to run well. (You also don't mention how you're digitizing those old tapes, but many cheap digitizers -- like the Dazzle units or All-in-Wonder cards -- produce video that doesn't flow well through the program.)

So "better" is a relative word. I'd load a trial version of the software (or borrow a copy to load temporarily) before I committed to buying it if I was having untold problems with another version.

• 2. Re: Is PE7 better?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's comments on the A-D conversion (yes, some devices do a much better job than others), even a new and powerful computer might not be set up for doing NLE work, as it will stress a system more than about any other operation.

This ARTICLE will offer some tips on setting up a computer for NLE work. Even on my robust workstation, designed just for NLE work, I follow the guides in that article. Actually, I wrote it from my personal experiences.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Is PE7 better?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's comments on the A-D conversion (yes, some devices do a much better job than others), even a new and powerful computer might not be set up for doing NLE work, as it will stress a system more than about any other operation.

This ARTICLE will offer some tips on setting up a computer for NLE work. Even on my robust workstation, designed just for NLE work, I follow the guides in that article. Actually, I wrote it from my personal experiences.

Good luck,

Hunt