2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 4:21 AM by Gregor K

Very newbie questions

matthew stuart Level 2

I see there are two versions of Flex, one (Standard) at about £160 and the other (Professional) at about £450; what are the differences between the two?

Where does flash catalyst fit in the picture? Is it entirely new, or is it a renamed version of one of the afore mentioned?

Finally, as the finished thing is based on flash the structure, am I right in assuming that the iPhone will not be able to display these RIA's?

Thanks.

Mat

• 1. Re: Very newbie questions
          pauland Level 4

matthew stuart wrote:

I see there are two versions of Flex, one (Standard) at about £160 and the other (Professional) at about £450; what are the differences between the two?

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=overview_3.html

Mostly charts and advanced data grid and I think profiling.

Where does flash catalyst fit in the picture? Is it entirely new, or is it a renamed version of one of the afore mentioned?

Entirely new and not yet released. It is not a renamed version of Flex builder. It's designed to allow the design of flex/flash applications and to aid transfering that design to  flex/flash.

Finally, as the finished thing is based on flash the structure, am I right in assuming that the iPhone will not be able to display these RIA's?

Correct. The flash player does not run on the iPhone - don't moan to Adobe, it's unlikely to be their fault.

Welcome, and spend some time on http://tv.adobe.com/ to learn more.

Paul

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Very newbie questions
            Gregor K

Flex SDK is free, what you are looking at is Flex builder (the IDE) and

Flex Builder Pro (which comes which the Data Visualisation libraries).

You do not require to buy Flex builder to use Flex...