2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 1:03 AM by Waleed Barakat

Developer-Online: New Tutorial Released! PHP jQuery Autosuggest Facebook like

Waleed Barakat Level 1

PHP jQuery Autosuggest Facebook like

Building a database driven auto suggestion box with PHP/MySql and jQuery. We’re going to check what a user has typed in, check against what is in our database and where there is a match, pass the results back in a suggestion list, all via an AJAX call in jQuery.

Tags: MySQL | php | forms | news | Ajax |

Author: patrizio Quatrini

PHP jQuery Autosuggest Facebook like

__
      Best Regards
      Waleed Barakat
      Developer-Online Creator and programmer
      www.developer-online.com
        • 1. Re: Developer-Online: New Tutorial Released! PHP jQuery Autosuggest Facebook like
          DwFAQ Level 4

Heya,

When I first read your post I originally thought you were posting a tutorial about whether a chosen username has already been resigtered or not on the signup page like this tutorial:

http://DwFAQ.info/signup_demo.php

Spry Check Username Availability
          Date Created: Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:29 PM

Then after looking at the page you've linked to and trying to understand the objective of the tutorial I've noticed that you are talking about something like this:

http://DwFAQ.info/home.php?id=7

Spry Search
          Date Created: Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:51 PM

It's pretty simple to do with the link I've referenced. Simply create your database with populated tables, use the mentioned script to convert the database data into xml syntax, then enter your dynamic database script as the location of the xmlDataSet in the spry page linked.

View source on this page which shows the non-destructive filter in action to see how it's done! You can also spice it up a little for products, etc. by using this method. The key is to create a dynamic xml syntax from your database and then use the dynamic xml script location as your xmlDataSet in the search page.

I have an example of the auto suggest search on my homepage http://DwFAQ.info

On the top-left side of the page click on the link that says Search Tutorials to reveal the search form. Then start typing characters into the search box to see the entries instantly filter according to the characters that are typed. You can also filter further by clicking on the category checkboxes to filter by keywords AND category.

You can view the source code on my homepage to see the location of the dynamic xml syntax referenced as the xmlDataSet location and how it was implemented into the site.

• 2. Re: Developer-Online: New Tutorial Released! PHP jQuery Autosuggest Facebook like
            Waleed Barakat Level 1

Hello,

Yes i guess the tutorial uses the same framework!

__
            Best Regards
            Waleed Barakat
            Developer-Online Creator and programmer
            www.developer-online.com