5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 5:08 AM by kivcre

Flash CS4 crashes in Mac OS X 10.6.2

kivcre

Flash CS4 began crashing immediately after upgrading to 10.6.2 on my Mac Pro with 8 GB of memory.

I can open my Flash CS4 (v. 10.0.2.566) app, but when I then try to open any .fla it crashes about 2 seconds after the file finishes opening.

This occurs whether I open an existing .fla or if I create a new .fla.
      Flash was giving me no significant problems with Mac OS X v. 10.6.1.

None of the following attempts to fix the problem has worked:

First, I dumped my Flash preference files and restarted the app.
      Then, I restarted in single user mode and ran a file system check (/sbin/fsck -fy) which found no problems.
      Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash CS4 (three times).
      Then I upgraded Flash 10.0 back up to v. 10.0.2
      Then I ran the Mac OS X 10.6.2 update (Combo) based on a posting I saw on the Apple support forum.

My next step is to reinstall Snow Leopard in the hopes that the earlier OS version will work.

Cross your fingers for me.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

• 1. Re: Flash CS4 crashes in Mac OS X 10.6.2
          yachts99-2vTvY1 Level 2

Try removing the font Franklin Gothic as this has worked for many users who were experiencing Flash crashes.

Even if it isn't this particular font causing the problem, I would look closely at your fonts. Perhaps try moving them all to a folder on the desktop and then re-introduce a few at a time until the culprit is found.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash CS4 crashes in Mac OS X 10.6.2
            kivcre Level 1

Thank you for the extremely helpful answer. Franklin Gothic itself does not appear to be the font culprit, but one of the way-too-many fonts in my user fonts folder certainly was. I dragged all of them to a folder on my desktop and re-opened Flash. Voilà! No crash. Of course, the font I used in the .fla I opened wasn't available, but that's easy to resolve.

My problem appears to have been solved. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Flash CS4 crashes in Mac OS X 10.6.2
              mightyj

wow after looking everywhere this was the culprit. I just deactivated all the fonts I was not using. Eventually found out it was using a font from a drive that was no longer hooked up. Crashing flash on launch. Thanks for this!

• 4. Re: Flash CS4 crashes in Mac OS X 10.6.2
                yellow.as

hi,mightyj  how to deactivate all the fonts?

• 5. Re: Flash CS4 crashes in Mac OS X 10.6.2
                  kivcre Level 1

There are several ways to temporarily or permanently disable fonts.

A very simple way is to restart your Mac in Safe Boot mode. Hold the shift key down as your Mac starts up. Among other things, this disables all but the system fonts.

Read more about that here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

You can also open the Font Book app and selectively disable fonts. Highlight the fonts you want to disable, and go to Edit > Disable...

(This assumes you use Apple's Font Book and not some other font utility.)

I suggest reading more about that here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2509

You can disable groups of fonts at a time. Then open Flash to see if the problem persists. If it does, then the problem font is in that group. Activate a few fonts at a time, eventually finding the font or fonts that are causing the crash.

You can also drag fonts out of the Fonts folder in your user's Library folder, but I suggest trying these other two methods first.

Good luck.