8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 2:27 PM by count_schemula

several people working on one premiere project

Polga008

Hello,

I am working on a group project that involves a lot of editing through Premiere Pro CS4. We are trying to figure out the best way to streamline our workflow, so that people can work on the same file in different locations. Are there any good tricks or points that we should know before embarking on this venture?

Right now our plan is to have separate files for each person to work on, and combining the final sequences at the end. The problem, however, becomes if two people want to work on one file at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: several people working on one premiere project
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe is not suitable for that workflow. Period. Adobe is single user. End of story.

• 2. Re: several people working on one premiere project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If one ONLY wanted to transport a single Project between different computers/editors, things would be easy. By using an external (I would recommend FW-800 as the minimum for SD, and eSATA as the minimum for HD), all that would have to be done would be to set the drive letter of that transport external to the same in the OS of each machine. All Assets and Scratch Disks would be on this external.

However, that is NOT what you are referring to. In your case, the only workflow that will work (as far as I know) would be to assign different "chapters" to different editors. These "chapters" would be Sequences in PrPro's Project. Then, when each has completed their work, these Projects could then be Imported into a "master Project," for completion. In this case, the externals could be used, but to keep from having all sorts of linking issues one would make sure that each external had a unique drive letter, and that same drive letter was set in the OS of the machine that would do the master Project. Say, if I had 4 editors working on 4 parts, editor 1 would use drive Z:\, editor 2 would use drive Y:\, and so on down. When each of these externals were plugged into the master Project computer, the first action taken would be to set the matching drive letters in that machine's OS.

This would take some planning and then choreography, and would preclude editor 1 and editor 2 from working on the same "chapter," unless they swapped externals, so that work could not be done on each "chapter" at the same time.

That's about the only way that I can think of to do such a Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: several people working on one premiere project
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can not edit files ON a server, but you certainly could share files

Put all your files on a server (either LAN or web server)

Find file check in/out software... no, I can't recommend any... Google knows

Configure the check in/out software so if "A" has file01 nobody else may touch the file until "A" copies the file back to the server

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: several people working on one premiere project
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                The problem, however, becomes if two people want to work on one file at the same time.

Is that even possible for any program in any computing environment?  I mean, how does program A show changes made to a file using program B in real time?  And it would have to be real time, otherwise B could be trying to change something that A already changed and no longer exists.

I just don't think this is at all possible, for any NLE on any OS.

• 5. Re: several people working on one premiere project
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Apparently there is one program do be able to handle that, Autodesk, for a mere $ 80+ K on Linux workstations.

• 6. Re: several people working on one premiere project
                    count_schemula Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

The problem, however, becomes if two people want to work on one file at the same time.

Is that even possible for any program in any computing environment?  I mean, how does program A show changes made to a file using program B in real time?

In the programming world, people use something like Subversion, which is not automatic, but two people can work on the same file, but then you merge the results back into the trunk.

But, yeah, nothing like that exists for an NLE, though, I rekon it could since it seems that Premiere files are largely XML files (?) in which case you could do something like a merge, but, that's way beyond what most editors would be willing to deal with.

Best bet I think was mentioned above. Share the assets. Have everybody work in their own project files on specific sequences and then cut/paste the sequences into another final project file as the final step in the assembly.

• 7. Re: several people working on one premiere project
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I rekon it could since it seems that Premiere files are largely XML files (?) in which case you could do something like a merge

I don't see how.  Let's say editor B applies effects to clip 3, but editor A has deleted clip 3 from the sequence in favor of clip 5.  How can this kind of thing possibly be reconciled?  Does the software just assume the effects will still apply to clip 5?  Do you delete the effects completely?

I don't know about you, but I don't want my NLE making those decisions for me.

• 8. Re: several people working on one premiere project
                        count_schemula Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

I don't see how.  Let's say editor B applies effects to clip 3, but editor A has deleted clip 3 from the sequence in favor of clip 5.  How can this kind of thing possibly be reconciled?  Does the software just assume the effects will still apply to clip 5?  Do you delete the effects completely?

I don't know about you, but I don't want my NLE making those decisions for me.

This is EXACTLY what Subversion does. If it's simple you can just merge, if it's complex, you can approve merges line by line, or whatever. The key is the difference between the files.

Say you have two working files/projects or whatever.

Original Project:

clip 1, clip 2, clip 3

Project copy 1:

clip 1, clip 2, clip 3

Project copy 2:

clip 1, clip 2, clip 5

When you merge, you would take the differences, or the final result would be:

New Original Project

clip 1, clip 2, clip 5

====

Like I said, this is used for programming teams who often work on the same files all the time and need a way to take changes and merge them back into the final file. If a PP project is pretty much just an XML file, then it "could" be possible. Look at these screen caps and see kind of how it works and don't freak out since it's all code stuff. All it's really doing is comparing the DIFFerence and MERGEing the results between text (XML) files. And you have full control over this process and can roll back changes.

http://www.altova.com/diffdog/xml-diff.html

http://www.sourcegear.com/diffmerge/

But yeah, this is way beyond what most editors would want to deal with. Ever. lolz.

I started using these techniques in my code/dev work and have no idea how I lived without it. It totally kills things like "edit_final_final2.prproj" or other forms of manual versioning.

I just wanted to bring up the concepts, that's all.

Google: subversion, svn, version control, diff, merge if still interested.