10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 2:16 AM by jackscon joseph

New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)

Catch_Phrase

Hello everyone-

I'm brand new to video editing and started my first project last night.  It consists of just one video/audio track, and one soundtrack.  What I would like to do is have the Audio 1 track completely silent while the Soundtrack is playing, and towards the end of the video, I would like the Audio 1 track to start playing.  I've been just manually sliding the fader under Change Track Volume during playback.  I'm sure there's an easier way to do this, but I'm not sure how.  I started playing the Audio Mixer as well, but still cant figure out a way to just have the Audio 1 track mix in towards the end of the video.  This is a project that needs to be uploaded onto YouTube if that makes a difference.  Thanks in advance.

-Cheers

• 1. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should use audio keyframes.First, ensure you're in Timeline mode, not Sceneline.

One way to do this is to open the Audio Mixer (click the Audio Tools button on the timeline and select Audio Mix). Then play your video and, moving the sliders up and down as needed to raise and lower the levels.

Doing this will create audio keyframes -- little white dots on the yellow line that runs horizontally through you audio track. Drag these points up and down (or delete them) to raise and lower the volume at specific places.

(There's actually a less sloppy way to do this, but it's hard to describe on a forum post. It's in my book though!)

• 2. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

While I use the Audio Mixer, as Steve outlines, One can also do this by manually adding Keyframes in the Effects Control Panel with the Volume Effect (fixed for all Audio). There, you can modulate the Volume of your AV's Audio. One drawback is that these Keyframed adjustments are at the Clip-level. That's fine if one has one long Audio Clip to manipulate, but can get involved, if one has many Audio Clips on the Timeline. That is why the Audio Mixer, which does its work at the Track-level is my tool of choice. I can have 500 Audio Clips in an Audio Track, and manipulate them all in real-time while just playing the Timeline. One caveat: if you do use the Audio Mixer, make sure that your other editing is done. The reason for this is that Track-level Keyframing. If you add Track-level Keyframes, and then go back in and change Audio Clips and move them around, the changes are "stuck" to the Track and not to the Clips. Things can get really messed up that way, with changes that you applied to old Clips now affecting different Clips.

Also, in Edit>Preferences (unless PrE 8 moved it), one can adjust the frequency of Track Keyframes. I have mine set to about 1/3 of the default, so I do not have totally unnecessary Keyframes. That is the editor's personal choice.

Good luck and enjoy,

Hunt

• 3. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)

Manually adding and setting audio keyframes, as you suggest, is far and away the bes way to do it, Hunt.

But, as you've found, it's also the hardest way to describe in a post on a forum!

• 4. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree. First, the whole concept of Keyframes is rather abstract, when first approached. Once someone "gets it," then it becomes easy.

For a "first-timer," my response would be to download the Steve Grisetti multi-part articles on Keyframing and go from there. Next response would be to get a copy of Steve Grisetti's book. Last response would be "practice, practice, practice."

Hunt

• 5. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
                  Catch_Phrase Level 1

Thank you both Steve and Hunt for your input.  So if I'm understanding correctly, by just manually adjusting the faders in Audio Mixer during playback, it will "save" the audio settings, so that I wont have to keep on sliding them every time during playback?  I'm going to try this right now.  Great forum, by the way.  Thanks again!

-Jordan

okay, so i guess i dont completely understand =)

Keyframes will be created once I adjust the sliders in Audio Mixer during playback.  After I'm done creating the Keyframes, how do I adjust them after that?  Sorry for newbie-ness

• 6. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)

Again, it's very difficult to explain without illustrations. But hopefully as you try it it will become clear.

Adjust the sliders as the video is playing, which will create keyframes on the audio track. Then fine tune these keyframe dots by dragging them up and down or select and Delete those you want to remove.

• 7. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct about "potting," or "riding" the Gain in Audio Mixer. Just click on the "handle" on the pot and listen, while sliding it up, or down, as is required.

Now, if you get it right, you will not need to do anything else. The Keyframes are added per the motion of the pot. If you DO need to adjust them, I find that expanding the particular Track, both vertically (look for the little double arrow, when your cursor is near the top of that Track in the Audio Track Header. It can be a bit of a "pixel-hunt," but just slide your mouse cursor around in the Track Header and watch for that little icon. Click and drag to expand vertically. The Horizontal Zoom is a slider at the top of the Timeline. Use both to get you a good clear view of that Track and you will see the "rubber band," that yellow line looking like a graph, with little white diamonds on it. Those "diamonds" are the Keyframes. You will soon see why I reel in the number/frequencey of these with Audio Mixer. There can be many - too many to work with. I like fewer, so I can fine-tune the results. You can Click-drag each Keyframe. You can also Shift-click on a bunch and manipulate them in a group.

Hope that this helps.

Here's a look at a zoomed in (horizontally & vertically) Track view from the Timeline with the rubber band and the Keyframes.

Audio_Track_Keyframes_01.jpg

Hunt

• 8. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
                        Catch_Phrase Level 1

i get it now, guys! thanks!  it made it a whole lot easier expanding the tracks. thanks again!

• 9. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          it made it a whole lot easier expanding the tracks. thanks again!

Does this mean that things are working for you?

Here's hoping!

Hunt

• 10. Re: New User with Audio Question (Elements 8)
                            jackscon joseph

You can do this several ways. Easy and simple way to do this right click the auido and select fade out