• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pop-ups (custom animations) work in PPT presentation, but don't in published presenter PDF

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pop-ups (custom animations) work in PPT presentation, but don't in published presenter PDF. I created a file in PowerPoint 2003 that allows the user to click on words in a graphic and have definitions of the word pop-up. This only works in the PPT presentation, it does not work when I publish the file to PDF using Adobe Presenter, version 7.0.5, build 7588. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Presenter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKO,

That's not entirely surprising.  Unfortunately, what you're doing cannot be replicated or executed properly in Presenter content, because trigger functions are essentially Active X controls native to the PowerPoint environment.  And that's the problem: Active X commands are totally ignored when your deck is converted during the publishing process.

So what to do?

You have 2 options, and neither are "clean" solutions because each represents a bit of homework.

Scenario 1: what you could do is create a series of hidden slides that are associated with / correspond to each of the text elements you have on the first slide.  You'd have to assign hyperlinks to the text boxes and then point the hyperlinks to the associated hidden slide.  The upside here is that if you have to edit any content after-the-fact, is that you can conduct such edits directly in PowerPoint.  But there is a drawback too; namely, that if you have to keep track of slide views, hidden slides are not tracked at all by LMSs (including Adobe Connect), so you'd have to come up w/ a formula for counting the number of visible slides so your presentation will mark a "complete" on the LMS.

Scenario 2: create a Flash interaction that effectively does the exact same thing.  The drawback to this I hope is obvious: if you have any content edits, then you're forced to edit the file directly in Flash.  The good news here, however, is that this solution only requires one slide, so you can effectively keep track of slide views if that's something you need if the course is deployed on an LMS.

Again, perhaps not ideal, but the above does represent alternative solutions to what you attempted to do in your sample deck.

Rob

http://www.robrode.com/yabb/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be out of the office starting 16/11/2009 and will not return until

18/11/2009.

I will respond to your query on my return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestions, I will probably create the hyper links. We use Quiz Manager also in our PPT files, and that allows user input. Does this mean that the activeX controls only apply to Quiz Manager and not to anything else in a PPT originated course?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it means any attempt to use Active X controls throughout a presentation, regardless of whether you're using question slides or not.  Meaning, for example, that if you try to use Action Buttons (which are native to, and available in, PowerPoint) their functionality will be totally ignored.

Rob

http://www.robrode.com/yabb/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, ok, but it seems to me if the software allows ActiveX controls to function in Quiz Manager, there should be a way in a future release to allow other ActiveX functionality in the rest of the PPT file. I'm just sayin...but OK. For right now I will either create the hyperlinks, or not put the popup functionality into the slide - not ideal for a student who isn't familiar with the load of acronyms being dumped on them, though. Thanks anyway, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources