3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 2:57 PM by Harm Millaard

Common settings for DVD use, and for Flash

HarryPutnam Level 1

I've never really gotten a good idea what all the setting do when exporting... Though I have read over the discussion in the help file, and read quite a few messages on various forums about it, I use this stuff too seldom to remember in between so once again I'm a bit baffled.

I want to generate the video and audio files that Encore DVD likes, and not have to transcribe when I generate the DVD  elements.

It looks easy enough since adobe kindly gives an mpeg-DVD  setting, but from there on I'm a little confused.  Its 3:4 NTSC video so `NTSC (High Quality) seems right for that.

Then dropping down to the video tab I see it has defaulted to `QUALITY: 4'.  Is that a good matche for dvd quality video?

Further down:

<b>  Bitrate Encoding </b> : VBR,1

<b> Minimum Bitrate</b>: 1.5  (looks kind of low... but I don't really know what it does)

<b> Target Bitrate</b>: 4

<b> Maximum Bitrage:</b>

[...]

I'm guessing these defaults are sensible but not really sure.

It all adds up to an estimated filesize of  `2950 mb'  but I notice if I fiddle around with the settings, that number <b>DOESN"T" </b> change at all. Though I know for sure it should effect the file size.

Next I'm curious about the audio.  The audio part is just people talking and playing with there young children so not  a major audio effort.  But still, it has defaulted to PCM (wave) , no compression at all.  Doesn't that mean it will be transcrbed again when I build the DVD?

And finally, <b>`Multiplexer'</b>.   Its turned off.  but isn't that something that will happen when I run the file thru `Encore'?

I wanted to ask about Flash settings too, but I think that may just derail any discussion about the setting above.