11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 7:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements Debug Event

LIVEUNITEDmc

Hello,

I recently installed Premiere Elements 8 to my pc and have been plagued by a debug event everytime I attempt to drag and drop a video clip into the editing pane.

The following is the error that pops up everytime: Premiere Elements Debug Event. Premiere Elements has encountered an error. [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]

A button that reads "continue" is in the error box and Premiere closes abruptly after I click on it.

I have no clue what this means and it would be great if someone could help me out.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Error code names are pretty much meaningless with this program.

It would be more helpful if we know what operatign system you're running, how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive.

You also say that this error code pops up "everytime." Can you be more specific about the 'everytime'? Is it every time you do something? Does the program die during launch? If you've added video to the project, what type of camcorder did it come from and how did you get it into your computer?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might help you gather some "clues," as to what is happening, when you get the Debug Event error message. There is usually a trail in the Event Viewer, that can lead to the clues.

If it's been awhile, since you got the error, then launch PrE, do what you've done in the past to get it, and then check Event Viewer. There will be error and warning messages. Open them all. Follow any links in these messages.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
              proudest-monkey

I am suffering from the EXACT same issues.  Everytime I try and place any media into the timeline or sceneline, this "Debug Event" error pops up and boots me out of Premiere.

Here's my PC info:

Dell Latitude E6500

2.8 GHz
              4 GB RAM

XP Pro SP3

Any help would be nice.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As we say, this is most often related to your source files. But it's hard to say without more information on the type of camcorder you're getting your video from and how you're getting it into your computer.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the "clues" gathered from the methods in the above linked article, you might want to take a look at this ARTICLE, to get your computer set up for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                    LIVEUNITEDmc Level 1

I'm running XP Pro with SP3, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB of RAM. I've got 80 GB of defragmented space. However, I think the problem is my graphics card . . . running dual monitors on a nVidia graphics card that's built into my motherboard. Having a new PCI-Express graphics card installed as we speak and should have my machine back by Monday, then I'll give Elements a try once again.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Having a new PCI-Express graphics card installed as we speak and should have my machine back by Monday,

Many users have had issues with integrated graphics chips, both here, and on the PrPro forum.

I hope that the new card will take care of your issues. If you go with nVidia for the PCIe graphics card, please disable both of these "gamer-only" moduels: PhysX and 3D Stereovision. PrE cannot use them and they really mess things up for Adobe programs.

Good luck, and hope that all is perfect on Monday!

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                        LIVEUNITEDmc Level 1

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for all of your help. I ended up getting a brand new machine all together because my old one finally bit the dust. Anyway, I had was having the same problem with my new machine, so I knew it had to be something else.

BTW, my new machine is running XP Pro, SP3 with an Intel Duo Core 2.93 GHz on 1.99 GB of RAM with a 232 GB hard drive. However, our network is set up on a very old server that's been acting up lately. I noticed that my Scratch Disks were set to the server, so I just set them to my actual hard drive and everything seems to be working now. I my guess is that there's not enough free defragmented space on the server for me to edit video.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. Many Adobe programs do less well in a networked environment. This can play heck with situations like video editing labs in an academic setting, and the like. I only hope that Adobe is working on full networked support for their NLE's and for Encore (their authoring program), as it would help get their programs into more school situations.

Thanks for reporting your success, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                            mialynnlee

Thank you. I had the same problem - program crashed when dragging video to timeline. Thanks to your advice, I edited the preferences and moved all scratch disk settings off the server onto the hard drive and I am able to get past the error.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements Debug Event
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. Neither of the Adobe NLE programs are designed to work in a fully networked environment. Most users find that having the Assets (or Copies of them), the Project and the Scratch Disks on the local HDD's is by far the best way to work. Also, running as Administrator solves many network issues.

Good luck,

Hunt