27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 3:24 PM by Tim Flippance

Disc encoding problems?

Tim Flippance Level 1

Two separate problems:

1/  I downscaled a short PAL 50i widescreen HDV video from CS4 to MPEG-2 DVD using "Use Maximum Render Quality" in Export Settings. The audio was PCM. I used VBR 2 Pass, Min bitrate 2.8, Max bitrate 8, Target bitrate 7, M frames 3, N frames 12, as in Jeff Bellunes tutorial. I burned it with ImgBurn. The disc plays perfectly in my DVD player, but won't play at all in two of my friends players, and plays without audio in a third player. Why is my DVD not compatible with all players?

2/  I transcoded a PAL 50i HDV  project to MPEG-2 Blu-Ray image, then burned it to Blu-Ray disc using ImgBurn. The disc plays OK for a few minutes, then suddenly at a transition point, the sound goes completely out of sync with the picture, and remains so. The project plays perfectly in Pro with no loss of sync.

If anyone has any ideas for these 2 problems I would be grateful to hear them.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Disc encoding problems?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you use Verbatim or Taio Yuden disks?

• 2. Re: Disc encoding problems?
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Number 1 is almost certainly a result of poor quality blank media or too

fast a burn speed.  It could also be a burner firmware issue.

Number 2 may also result from poor quality blank media.  You can

troubleshoot a media issue if you have software like VirtualCloneDrive

from Slysoft.  You can mount the image file and have Windows see it as a

new BD/DVD drive.  Then a software DVD player can play the image file

just as if it was playing a burned disc.  If the software player plays

the image properly, then blank media issues become even more likely.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Disc encoding problems?
              Tim Flippance Level 1

The DVD was TDK

I don't know what the BR disc was but it was blank white

• 4. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                Tim Flippance Level 1

Thanks

What is burner firmware?

VirtualCloneDrive sounds useful. Is it free?

• 5. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Once, TDK had good media. Now, they seem to have followed the Memorex business model of buying from the cheapest source and then rebranding these. Use ImgBurn to look at several of your discs. I'll bet that in a spindle of 25 you have at least two mfgrs., and none will be TDK.

As has been stated, Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden are some of the last good discs, with but a few exceptions.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    What is burner firmware?

Tim,

Many pieces of electronic equipment have a chip with an instruction set encoded to it. This encoded instruction set is the "Firmware." With many of these devices, one can "flash" that chip to update that instruction set. Sometimes, this is to correct errors, and sometimes to implement new features.

In the case of a few pieces of hardware, this will remove the ability to, say burned BD discs. It seems that some of the BD players and things like Playstations have been crippled by firmware updades. You do not have to worry about that in your case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                      Tim Flippance Level 1

Thanks Hunt

all my TDK discs seem to be MB01RG40,  is that a "bad" brand?

The BR disc ID is PHILIP-R04-00

I'll only buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden in future

Tim

• 8. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                        Tim Flippance Level 1

Hunt

what you say about burner firmware is interesting, and may also explain another long-term problem I've had: my film which contains a lot of slow pan shots across trees with leaves waving in the wind gave me a lot of problems with overloading the codec causing flickery movement and, when played on BR player, brightness flickering in the detailed areas of the picture. I assumed this brightness flickering was an inevitable part of the Blu-Ray encoding process, but when I copied the film back from the BR disc into the computer it plays perfectly with no brightness flickering. Therefore the flickering is not on the disc but is caused by my BR player (which was very expensive so it shouldn't be faulty). So my question is, is there likely to be a firmware update available for my BR player which will fix this problem?   YAMAHA BD-D2900

• 9. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'll only buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden in future

Those are great choices, but there is one even better.  Falcon Professional media.

• 10. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                            Tim Flippance Level 1

thanks, I'll try them

• 11. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                              Tim Flippance Level 1

I tried 1x write speed for the DVD but no use. At least I set it to 1x in ImgBurn, but it burned a bit fast so I'm not convinced.

Another thought has occured to me: when I downscaled I didn't type in 8 for max bitrate, I moved the slider giving something like 8.01

When I set "Use Maximum Render Quality" it already had "Include Source XMP Metadata" set, so I left it set.

Would these 2 things have affected it?

By the way this question is NOT answered so I don't know why it says answered at the top?

• 12. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                all my TDK discs seem to be MB01RG40,  is that a "bad" brand?

Tim,

I am not familiar with this designation. Google was of little help to me. Maybe others will recognize the mfgr. data.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  may also explain another long-term problem I've had: my film which contains a lot of slow pan shots across trees with leaves waving in the wind gave me a lot of problems with overloading the codec causing flickery movement and, when played on BR player, brightness flickering in the detailed areas of the picture. I assumed this brightness flickering was an inevitable part of the Blu-Ray encoding process, but when I copied the film back from the BR disc into the computer it plays perfectly with no brightness flickering

Tim,

This is difficult footage, at best. Two things can contribute to getting the best Transcode with difficult footage: the CODEC used, and the bit-rate of that footage.

Some people report that the H.264 CODEC does a better job for their footage, while others tout the HD MPEG-2 CODEC. I'd pick up a few BD RE discs, and test some of the worst of this footage, that which looks worst on BD, using both CODEC's and also adjusting the bit-rate up. When the bit-rate goes up, the Duration of the movie on BD will go down, so there is a trade-off - quality vs Duration.

I'd be very interested in hearing what works best for you.

For this issue, I do not think that a firmware update is likely to help, but I could well be wrong there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Those are great choices, but there is one even better.  Falcon Professional media.

I've read reports from a respected forum member, Jim Simon, saying the same thing.

Wait! "JSS1138." 10,710 posts. Could it be?

Hunt

• 15. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

It is.  Don't know how my display name got changed.  I didn't do it.

• 16. Re: Disc encoding problems?

Yeah, it seems Jim is in nobody-remembers-my-old-forum-handle stealth

mode. 

-Jeff

• 17. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Changed it back.

• 18. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                            WAHunt3 Level 1
                                            It is.  Don't know how my display name got changed.  I didn't do it.

Well, it appears that the maintenance session has changed a bunch of things.

I am now a new person too, have lost all my points and even my "salamis!"

Guess I was getting too close to that "all expenses paid trip to Adobe and the lobster lunch... "

Hunt

• 19. Re: Disc encoding problems?

Hunt,

Log off and then clear out all of your browser cookies.  Log back in.  What happens?

-Jeff

• 20. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                                Tim Flippance Level 1

Hunt

That's a pity. I was hoping the player was intended for 24p, but they might have an update to make it play 50i better.

For the record H.264 was far worse than MPEG-2

I used 40 mbps and also lower bitrates - no difference

The point is it can't (it seems to me) be the codec as such because when I copied it off the BR disc into the computer it played perfectly in the computer. Its only on the BR player that the brightness flickers.

Tim

• 21. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Well, I'm back for a bit. I had to Log-Off twice, and then open a separate browser window - IE.

From the Adobe.com main page, I got to here with my old Log-in. Whew.

One thing that I noticed was that my full list of Adobe products and registration were now all gone (save for one copy of PrE 4 from 2 years ago), and this was the same in both accounts. I've opened a case with Adobe C/S in hopes to settle this on a permanent basis, plus get all that registration info back.

Oh well, at least I'm back for now...

Thanks,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

For the record H.264 was far worse than MPEG-2

I used 40 mbps and also lower bitrates - no difference

Thanks for reporting. Maybe someone else can help get better results from that problem footage. Those were the only two things that I could think of. Others will surely have some more suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                                      Tim Flippance Level 1

Jeff

I downloaded VirtualCloneDrive but I can't get it to work - it seems to have no instructions

• 24. Re: Disc encoding problems?

Did you install it yet?  What happens when you launch the program after

installing?

-Jeff

• 25. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                                          Tim Flippance Level 1

I click on the icon and I get a little window with 5 things you can tick : Virtual sheep, etc

• 26. Re: Disc encoding problems?

The only setting I have checked is "Keep history of recently mounted

images".  You select the number of virtual drives that you want to have

available by using the drop-down list.  They will show up in Windows

Explorer.

I don't think I've ever even looked at the Language and Info tabs.

-Jeff

• 27. Re: Disc encoding problems?
                                                              Tim Flippance Level 1

Thanks Jeff