9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 11:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Problems with capturing HDV with PE8

GoodBoySteve

Hoping someone can help - I can't capture HDV footage cleanly - it is very broken up and gives all the impressions of dirty heads on the camcorder.  I have actually cleaned the heads but it plays perfectly on my Hi Def TV and also captures properly using a video capture utility that came free with my laptop. I've checked the internal disk speed and it has a write speed of nearly 60MB/s - so this shouldn't be a problem.

I am using a Sony HDR-HC7 miniDV 1080i camcorder and a new Sony Vaio laptop (VPCCW1S1E) and PE8.  I have checked and double checked the project settings and fairly sure I've got it right.  I've been using this camcorder with PE3 and an old Fujitsu Siemens laptop very succesfully for a number of years.  I'm tempted to go back to PE3 but thought I woudl ask the question on this forum first (I'm not also sure that there isn't a problem with the Viao laptop having a problem with Premiere for some reason.  I'm also  running Windows 7.  The Viao also uses a NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M.

I'm getting to the end of my patience as having had a very adequate, albeit slow, system - I've spent serious money - and gone backwards.

Regs Steve

• 1. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you have the 64-bit version of Windows 7? That could be an issue.

Also, how and where are you judging the quality of your captured video?

• 2. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
            GoodBoySteve Level 1

Steve,  Thanks.

I believe I do have 64 bit Windows 7 - it came preinstalled with my laptop.

I'm judging the quality of the captured video in the timeline (where it is very broken up with green pixallation and think green bars) and also viewing the clips in Windows Media player where it doesn't look quite so bad but I can see breaking up for nearly all the time.

I presume PE8 is designed to work with Windows 7 - I never thought to ask or check.

Best Regards

Steve

• 3. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Don't judge the quality of the capture by how it looks on the timeline. Premiere Elements 8, in particular, has a pretty ugly playback -- though this has no effect on the final output quality.

If you're capturing properly (and it appears you are) your video is at its full, native quality. And if, when you place your clips on the timeline, there are no red or green lines above them, you'll get excellent output quality too.

If you'd like to see the quality of your captured video, try opening the clips with an HDV player on your computer. (Ideally, not Windows Media Player. Quicktime might be worth trying.) The quality should be excellent.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
                GoodBoySteve Level 1

Thanks but my version of Quicktime (free download) doesn't play mpeg files.  However, following your comments I've tried:

1)     Using previously captured footage (using PE3 on my previous XP laptop) and this works fine.

2)     Capturing footage from my camcorder on my previous system using PE3 and this also works fine.

So, I've narrowed it down to capturing footage using PE8 on my Sony Viao Windows 7 laptop. A temporary workround would be to capture all my footage using PE3 on my old laptop - copying the mpeg files across - and then using PE8 on my new laptop to undertake all the editing.  However, I really do need to solve my current problem.  I've comapred all the project settings, between the two systems, and can't see any difference.

The other point to note is that the systen doesn't indicate any dropped frames (I do have this feature set).

Again hoping you can help or suggest what I should look at next.

Regards Steve

• 5. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

Hi Steve,

Can you try rendering this clip on the timeline? That should bring the clip to the project settings, and give you a better playback.  As mentioned earlier, there are issues with the Playback in PE8, so no harm in trying this step. Rendering always works for me. Just a thought.

I am also tempted to ask you to ignore the playback on the timeline altogether. Just export it or share it to a DVD and see it there, it should be as good as the original footage. I guess editing on the timeline can still go on with this quality.

• 6. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
                    GoodBoySteve Level 1

Thanks - I've rendering the captured footage and it doesn't improve things - often it makes PE8 crash.  Footage which I can capture using

PE3 on another system works fine in PE8 when I move the files across so I'm fairly sure I have a problem with footage capture for reasons I can't understand.  If it was a PE8 / Windows 7 problem then I'm sure others woudl have seen it and reported it on this forum.

• 7. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
                      GoodBoySteve Level 1

Good news folks.  It has suddenly started to work - the only thing that has changed was a download of Adobe Acrobat 9.2.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Thought I would close this post with the solution in case anyone has a similar problem for which this might be the solution.

• 8. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
                        ChecheMusic

I also have this problem on the video in the timeline leaves a red line, and most bothers me is that the reproduction in the premiere is running slowly and jumping as if I just export and the video came out in very ugly quality. I recorded video with my HDR-FX1 and the video taken outside the program looks good but not within what most concerns me is that jumps and is slow and does not let me work well. format that I need to export the video in high definition

• 9. Re: Problems with capturing HDV with PE8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

that the reproduction in the premiere is running slowly and jumping as if I just export and the video came out in very ugly quality. I recorded video with my HDR-FX1 and the video taken outside the program looks good but not within what most concerns me is that jumps and is slow and does not let me work well.

Please tell us which Project Preset you used, to set up your Project? That needs to match your source footage exactly. That red line indicates there is a mismatch someplace. There should be either no line, or a green line, until you add/change something in the footage.

For playback of footage with the red line above, hit the Enter key to Render it. Test playback. Any better?

As for your Export, what is your delivery scheme, BD, or other?

Good luck,

Hunt