20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 8:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem exporting in Premiere Pro

Beth FM

I have recently installed CS4 and I'm having problems exporting my files. The video media encoder opens up with the files in the list but the source name is looking to the wrong place so cannot start the job and I cannot work out how to change it.

I can change the export file option. I'm sure there must be a simple answer.

Can anyone help I have just reinstalled Premiere Pro CS3 in desperation!!

• 1. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try with File/Add Adobe Sequence.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            the source name is looking to the wrong place

How do you know that?

• 3. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
              tobeboyyyy

The origin of the problem could be that you removed an earlier version of Adobe Premiere Pro or Adobe Creative Suite on the same computer or you still have an earlier issue of Premiere installed on your computer In such case, create a shortcut to the Premiere Pro executable file, rename the shortcut to Premiere, and move the shortcut to C:Program FilesCommon Files Adobe dynamiclink.

1. Close all Adobe applications.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe Premiere Pro CS4. (If you installed Premiere Pro CS4 in a location other than the default of C:Program FilesAdobe, then navigate to your custom installation location.)

3. Right-click on Adobe Premiere Pro.exe (which might appear without the .exe extension) and choose Create Shortcut.

4. Rename the newly created shortcut to just Premiere. Important: The name of the shortcut must be exactly Premiere with no other characters- without extension.

5. Open a second Windows Explorer window, and navigate to C:Program FilesCommon FilesAdobedynamiclink.

6. Move the Premiere shortcut that you created into the dynamiclink folder.

This worked for me. Befor i found it i tried all kinds off things to fix it but this made the deal.

• 4. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                Beth FM Level 1

I'm not sure how or why but this seems to have worked. Thank you.

• 5. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                  Beth FM Level 1

I got the other way working now but - I know this is a stupid question but I tried to add the sequence and I can't find the sequence file!

Where does it hide it?

• 6. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

In the bin that was open when you created it.

• 7. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                      Beth FM Level 1

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean - does it have a file extension?

I've searched for it but can't find it.

• 8. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I'm not sure what you mean

Oh boy...

Premiere is a professional level editor.  I very strongly recommend users acquire a formal education and some real world experience working for someone else before trying to use this software.  For those who don't have that dedication, there are consumer editors out there which will be less frustrating.

• 9. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Adding a Pr sequence or an AE comp must be done through the File menu.  Using the Add... button won't work.  The AME will invoke Dynamic Link.  Navigate to the Pr project that has the sequence and select it.  After a while, sooner or later depending on how powerful your system is, the list of bins and sequences will appear.

It's not obvious to anyone that the Add... button won't work for AE comps or Pr sequences.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                            Beth FM Level 1

This type of response isn't really helpful - it will stop people like me asking our "stupid" questions.

I was under the understanding that the forum is for people of all levels!

• 11. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                              farmhead1776

You may be thinking of this wrong.

The sequence file does not exist outside of Premier unless you export it as something (media file).  A sequence is really just a bunch of programming nonsense  with a bunch of references to addresses of things that exist on your computer( in and out points of video, titles, stills, routines to run effects, all kinds of stuff).  When you export a sequence Premier takes all that stuff and builds a file(s) with an extention(s) that you can find.

The other answers seem to be helping you to  "add" a sequence into a project from another project with out exporting it as a media file.  If you want to do that then there is a way to do that.   I am using 1.5 and have never done this myself so just doing my best to help.

Hope that helped.

• 12. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                Beth FM Level 1

Yes thanks that does make sense. Very helpful.

• 13. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                  PaulieDC Level 2
                                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

there are consumer editors out there which will be less frustrating.

LOL! Beth's response kind of zinged you there Jim... seems kind of pointless after someone invests in the real McCoy to tell them to go buy consumer garbage. Everybody has to start somewhere!

BTW, if you want to smack me on the head with a Nerf Bat, swing on by, I'm currently in a hotel in Scottsdale... MAN, is it beautiful here!!

• 14. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    seems kind of pointless after someone invests in the real McCoy to tell them to go buy consumer garbage.

Actually my point was more that learning the basics of video production is reeeeeally a good idea before trying to use professional software, otherwise the experience will be more difficult than it needs to be.

Everybody has to start somewhere!

I agree.  The proper 'where' is education.

First learn, then do.  Don't try and skip step one and then expect us to fill in the gaps.  Users need to do their own basic homework first.  I think the new Announcement at the top of these forums makes that point pretty well.

• 15. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

PaulineDC,

There is one other consideration, and one that is often lost in these discussions. Many of the consumer-oriented NLE programs have greater latitude for file formats/CODEC's, especially the "consumer-oriented" formats/CODEC's. That was why I picked up a copy of PrElements, and Magix and CyberLink PowerDirector. They play nice with some files that PrPro just chokes on. I do not edit in any of these, and basically use them as file converters, but for the right (or wrong from a PrPro perspective) file type, they work fine.

Some contend that they are also both easier to learn and to use. For me, I feel just the opposite, but have used pro/pro-sumer NLE's long enough that I know their interfaces much better, and do not have to go find the "big button" to do something. I get lost in those programs, so edit in PrPro.

Just another way to look at things.

Take care,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        I think the new Announcement at the top of these forums makes that point pretty well.

Jim,

I had not noticed that. Even with the "Read This First," I passed right over it. You know how some guys are, regarding reading the instructions.

I'd also add a link to Harm's, or others', articles on how to ask a question, and what details are important to get help.

Thanks for the pointer,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                          PaulieDC Level 2

Actually my point was more that learning the basics of video production is reeeeeally a good idea before trying to use professional software... First learn, then do.  Don't try and skip step one and then expect us to fill in the gaps.

Many of the consumer-oriented NLE programs have greater latitude for file formats/CODEC's, especially the "consumer-oriented" formats/CODEC's.

Jim/Hunt,

Yes, I do agree with both of you that the concept of video editing needs to be learned first, not just buy Premiere thinking you can slap a movie together, then scream out how to do "this one thing" (those who do don't realize there's 129 other "things" that follow behind). When I bought Premiere for my 5D2, I spent a solid month reading and watching tutorials about VIDEO, inhaling all I could about timebase and color spaces and NTSC standards and data rates and compression and i vs. p and frame rates and... you get the idea. After THAT is when I watched 21 hours of Premiere video training, and it all made sense (imagine that). So I understand the frustration when someone asks a question that shows they haven't built the foundation under the house. Maybe it's better to tell them what you told me, that they've bitten off more than they can chew, but encourage them to go learn the foundations. Hmmm, I have to admit, that seems so huge that in order to get the immediate task done they should probably... just fire up a consumer app. OK, you're vindicated!

I would suggest to all newcombers (and even the girl who started the thread) that you spend $25 for a one-month subscription at Lynda.com, and start with this set of training:  http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourseN.aspx?lpk2=152

There should be enough time left in the month to then go through the Lynda.com Premiere courses. Then they can get the Pr Classroom in a Book and also move on to Adobe.tv, and if by the end of that they are still struggling, maybe cuttin' frames isn't for them, at least on a pro level.

Last thought: I know Photoshop inside and out, and when I hear people buy the real McCoy and then state that they'll just open it up and dink around and figure it out, my laughter sometimes hits hyperventilation stage.

• 18. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Last thought: I know Photoshop inside and out, and when I hear people buy the real McCoy and then state that they'll just open it up and dink around and figure it out, my laughter sometimes hits hyperventilation stage.

I agree completely. I started with Aldus PhotoStyler, before Adobe bought most of that suite. I started with PS, the day that it hit the PC, and have used it extensively ever since. I have made a good living with it for decades, but spend most of my time on the PS forum learning about PS CS4. Always something to learn.

Even PSElements takes some work, to get going, and it is targeted at the consumer.

I understand completely,

Hunt

BTW - Off topic here, but do you have a list of the Canon 5D MK II threads here? A new user of PrE has one, and is thinking that the camera shoots in full AVCHD. I think that this is incorrect, and suggested a search for the various 5D threads here. A list would be useful. Thanks!

• 19. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                              PaulieDC Level 2

and is thinking that the camera shoots in full AVCHD...   

Isn't it amazing how these weird rumours start? A simple look at the specs says what the camera puts out (FYI, it shoots true 30FPS 1080p and outputs to QT .mov files in H.264... a firmware update in Q1 2010 will add 24p). I think they got confused with the tiny consumer HD cams like the HF200 which do AVCHD.

I'll do a search and peruse the threads. Need to keep these folks on track.

• 20. Re: Problem exporting in Premiere Pro
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I tried to point this out, but the one user insisted that the 5D was full AVCHD and could not imagine why there was a mismatch.

Thanks for the confirmation,

Hunt