6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 10:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?

newtoedit

Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?

I want to edit video taken with a Canon Powershot SD 550 taken in NTSC 640 x 480. When I start a new project, which project settings should I be using? Also when exporting the project to view on a computer should I stick with the AVI or will MPEG or another universal format give me better end quality?

• 1. Re: Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am guessing that you Canon shoots with square pixels, PAR = 1.0. Is that correct?

The problem with PrE is that one does not have the Desktop (Custom) Mode, that PrPro does. That means that there are no customizable Frame Sizes and PAR's to choose from.

In PrE 4, the closest would be either NTSC Standard 4:3 w/ PAR = 0.9, or NTSC Widescreen 16:9 w/ PAR = 1.2 (in PrPro CS4.2, this has been corrected to 1.227). This is one of the problem with non-standard AV files, done by a still camera, that also shoots video. They play somewhat fast and loose with the norms. Now, PrE 8 might have options that would suit your needs better, but I cannot comment.

Also, PrE does not have a full-featured Interpret Footage function, so you might need to use Effect>Motion>Scale, or Fit to Frame and allow for some Cropping of your image, or some black bars.

Another possibility would be to convert your footage to full DV sizes, of 720 x 480 w/ a PAR = 0.9. While not difficult, it is one more step.

Sorry, unless PrE 8 has added some Presets, noting matches perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?
            newtoedit Level 1

Hunt,

You rock - thank you for the replies.  How do I convert to full DV scales and what am I gaining?

Also, looked it up but I could not find any info on what the PAR Video shooting of the camera is.

• 3. Re: Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PAR is pixel aspect ratio. You said in a previous post that you took one of your clips into gspot. Did you not see....par = 1.0 there (square pixels) along with dar = 1.333 (4:3) and sar = 1.333 (4:3)?

ATR

• 4. Re: Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When one is limited on the Project Presets, and has to compromise, if their Imported, or Captured footage does not match 100%, say there are small black bars on the left and right, or top and bottom, one can adjust one of the fixed Effects, Effects>Motion>Scale. If your footage is just slightly off, not much Scaling needs to be done. This is a good thing, as quality can quickly suffer with too much Scaling up.

ATR has defined PAR, and has also given you the instructions on finding out exactly what you camera shoots. Depending on that info, you may not have to worry at all, about Effect>Motion>Scale. I probably jumped ahead too soon.

Hope that helps, and we'll be looking forward to the info from G-Spot. That will determine how you proceed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

This user has two thread topics here that are identical to ones at the forum which I frequent. Early on I  downloaded video from the Canon Powershot that he says he is using for the basis of my comments. So, I have put that video through gspot myself. Since the user is going between the two forums (mostly here), I did not want anything lost in the back and forth. The goal is to help attainment of the goal. That is why I am including comments at both locations:

At The Other Forum

Project Settings Thread

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52299

Rotation Thread

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52298

The user has gotten back to me on the video rotation issue, thanking me, but telling me that another workflow was identified...and, as I note, generously shared with both sites. I am in the process of personally checking out what he said worked for him in that regard. However, the user has not gotten back to me on the topic of project settings.

So to expedite matters, when you get a chance, could you please check out my comments in that thread? I would be interested in your perspective on the matter and what I wrote.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Which project settings for project for Canon Powershot Video Editing?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

It looks like you are doing a great and thorough job of helping this poster - and across two fora, with two similar topics!

I see noting wrong with either your assertions, or you methodology anywhere.

I hope that the poster appreciates your efforts.

Good luck,

Hunt