7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2009 7:16 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8

newtoedit Community Member

Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8

Hello there, I’m new to this so bare with me.
      I took video with my Canon Powershot SD550. The video is shot in NTSC 640 x 480. I want to rotate the video 90 degrees.

So I go into Premiere Elements, add the video and select rotate 90degs under motion. The video rotates as expected. The issue is the video is now taller in the vertical respect then the black window (I don’t know what this is called) behind the video and when I export the video it is essentially cropped on the top and bottom.

So I tried to scale the rotated video down to fit the black window, export it, but the quality of the video is now shot.

Is there anyway to rotate the video and keep the quality without it being cropped?
      If you need more info please let me know.

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Unfortunately, you have done what needs to be done, and once you Scale the footage, effectively Cropping part of it, but filling the frame. As you note, the quality does suffer. As Video is horizontal, the lesson is to always shoot with the still camera in the horizontal position.

It is far easier to Rotate 180 degrees, than it is to Rotate 90 degrees, because of the Aspect Ratio issue.

Sorry to bear the bad news.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8

Just to ensure I understand, you cannot set a custom frame size for video?  You more or less have to make the video fit the frame, which is defined when setting up the project?

Is there anyway to change the frame size once the project has been started?

Again, Thank You!

• 3. Re: Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8
              you cannot set a custom frame size for video?  You more or less have to make the video fit the frame, which is defined when setting up the project?

Basically, that is correct. In PrPro, one can set up a Desktop Project/Sequence, and choose pretty much whatever one wants. One could set up a 480 x 620 Project/Sequence. However, think about the display devices. They are all horizontal: TV's, movie theaters, computer monitors, iPods, etc.. They are all horizontal, so with a vertical Project, you get black bars on the sides.

It's pretty much the same, if one wishes to add a vertical slide to a Video Project. They can Crop to fill the Frame, they can not Crop and leave the black bars or they can create a background for the full Frame Size, and place the vertical image into that. It is all about the math of Aspect Ratios.

Is there anyway to change the frame size once the project has been started?

In PrE, no. In PrPro CS4.x, you can create a new Sequence (think of these like mini-Projects inside of a master Project), and Import the odd footage into it. Still, the above discussion on Aspect Ratio will apply.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8
                Ok, after a lot of work and listening to Hunt I have  some info for the lame man or at least this is my interpretation.
                Adobe Premiere Elements 8 cannot rotate vertical video  to horizontal video without cropping it - Period.
                Windows Movie Maker has an easy Video rotate function  under "effects" that rotates the video and does no crop it.  It does lose a  little quality, mostly sharpness, but not enough to matter for what I did.   Windows Movie Maker is extremely quick and easy for rotation.
                Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 (ApPCS4)will rotate the video to  a specified frame size of your choice.  ApPCS4 is where I started but I could  not get the video to play in the ApPCS4, it would just go to the first frame and  sit there while the audio played in the background.
                So I downloaded GSpot from (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm) to determine what codec the avi needs to play.  This really  confused me since the AVI played in AP Elements 8 and every other video viewing  program I have, but would not play in ApPCS4.  Either way I determined the AVI  needed the MJPG codec, which I downloaded from (http://www.afreecodec.com/codecs/MJPG/).
                Ok, now I was on the right track. 
                Launch ApPCS4
                New Project - then OK
                On the New Sequence Page I use Dv-NTSC - Standard  32kHz
                Select the General Tab at the Top next to Sequence  Presets
                Change Editing Mode to Desktop - you can now modify the  Frame Size (the boxes look greyed out but there are not).  I used 530 x 640
                Hit OK
                File - Import - select the video to import
                Drag Video to Sequence frame
                Make sure Effect Control is visible, active via Window  Pull down menu
                In effect control tab, under video effects, select  motion, rotation enter 90 deg.
                Boom, done.  No cropping, no loss of quality, just my  rotated video I wanted
                Again, I am new to this so sorry for the long reply, but  this was not easy to do.  I hope this will help someone else in the  future.
                • 5. Re: Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8
                  A.T. Romano Community Member

newtoedit

I take it you did not read my responses to these same questions that you posed at another forum.

If nothing else, I took the time to do the gspot check for your video that might have assisted you even if the other suggestions did not serve your purposes.

Be that as it may, I am glad that you have your issue resolved and continued success.

ATR

• 6. Re: Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8

A.T. - thank you very much. 

I came up with my method late last night and for some reason or another have not been able to access Elements Village at all today.  I will try again tomorrow and review what you submitted as I'm sure there is something to learn from it.

Thanks again for taking the time.

• 7. Re: Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8

Thank you for taking the time to research your situation and for reporting on your workflow.

It seems that PrE 8 has an MJPEG CODEC, while PrPro does not - yet. Because of the alignment of Adobe and MainConcept, I would expect to see this added soon - CS5?

Appreciated,

Hunt