5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 4:07 PM by the_wine_snob

Can PE4's "Scale to Frame Size" scaling of stills be adjusted?

day by day Level 1

I have authored a movie with over 50 stills at the end. Some of those stills have a caption that I added by enlarging the canvas with white background in Photoshop Elements and typing in people's names. Some of the captions have 1 line, some 2 lines, and some 3 lines. All the stills are about the same size, but no matter how many lines a caption has, the bottom half of the last line is cut off from view. I tried extending the bottom of the caption area, but that made the photo smaller and the white blank area just didn't look right. Next I tried cropping off the caption area and typing the caption on the bottom part of the photo itself--but the last line still gets cut off.

If I uncheck "Scale to Frame Size", the photo is huge. How can I overide PE4's default scaling so that the photos with bottom captions are small enough for the captions to fit within the Safe Title Margin instead of being cut off? The stills are digital photos 3264 pixels wide with heights varying for 2448 to 2992 pixels. My preset is widescreen 16:9.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Can PE4's "Scale to Frame Size" scaling of stills be adjusted?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are probably two problems.

First, your images are too large. For what you describe, they need to be sized to the Project's Frame Size, say 720 x 480 w/ PAR = 0.9 for a DV Standard 4:3 Project.

Second, when doing the work in PS, use the matching Preset, i.e. the NTSC 720 x 480, Standard PAR = 0.9 w/ Guides. The Guides will show you the Action Safe Area, and also the Title Safe Area. This can be very important. You want ALL of your text inside the Tilte Safe Area.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can PE4's "Scale to Frame Size" scaling of stills be adjusted?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Should you resize to match your Project's Frame Size, this ARTICLE will be helpful in automating the process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can PE4's "Scale to Frame Size" scaling of stills be adjusted?
              day by day Level 1

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, the site kept saying try again later--then

after reading over your helpful article several times, I kept digging and

experimenting and was able to produce exactly what I wanted! So, at least

you didn't have to read the earlier reply I had composed with several more

questions.

Since I shot the video clips in widescreen mode, I batch re-sized all the

non-captioned photos to 720 X 480. That sure shortened the loading time of

Premiere! For the ones with captions, I decided the extra text at the bottom

of the photos would make the photos smaller on screen than I wanted. I used

PSE to type text on the photo itself, saved the layers, then re-sized it by

resampling to 432 (480 height X 90%). I found out how to change the ruler in

Premiere Elements from inches to pixels. I adjusted the text layer so that

the bottom line would not below the Safe Title Margin of 384 (480 X

80%)--but when put on the timeline, there was still plenty of room before

the text was cut off, so I re-positioned the text to about 395. Of course I

had to select all the stills on the timeline and uncheck the option to scale

to frame size. Now that I understand how scaling works, I can get any size

photo to fit just right!

I had struggled with how to get captions to display for a couple of years,

so I appreciate so much your pointing me in the right direction with your

response and helpful article!

• 4. Re: Can PE4's "Scale to Frame Size" scaling of stills be adjusted?
                day by day Level 1

Ooops! Maybe it would have helped if I had signed in!

• 5. Re: Can PE4's "Scale to Frame Size" scaling of stills be adjusted?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news and thank you for reporting.

I understand some of the issues with the forum. On Monday night, major maintenace was performed, and things were changed drastically. Logging-in and also accounts have been issues, plus several features seem to have been broken and a few new "features," like automatic Hard Returns being added where you do not want them, have been added.

Good luck,

Hunt